FINALLY! I have my 7th Cavalry Model P in hand and got to shoot it.

BerdanSS

Well at long last I have my cimarron model P 7th cavalry! What a beauty she is! Cell phone pictures don't do it justice of course, excellent fit and finish. The wood to metal and metal to metal fit is 120% better than my stoger import uberti. Shoots great too, action is slicker than a greased hog. The Gent who go it for me (great guy and a Cowboy action shooter) said it has the best fit and action hes seen in a long time. Said something about this one already has the series two spring upgrades in it "wouldn't do a dern thing to it" and "it's perfect right out of the box."

With 200gr american cowboy loads it shoots a hair low at 15 yards, but windage is dead on. One handed every string was the size of a baseball or a tad smaller. I'm sure that will tighten up with a little more shooting and some good home brew ammo. It's about as correct as I think you can get to an old model P. Pinched sights, bullseye ejector, old style checkering on the hammer, no hammer block safety like my other ubertis (still has the 2nd slot extended cylinder pin as per the stupid import laws.) historically correct markings. I love it, couldn't be happier.

the fine pinched sights I prefer over the later style wide square notch

the tasteful colt style roll mark and fine hammer checkering

Company marking, inspectors stamp and period style SN. I had my fingers crossed for an I Company marked pistol, but one from the command of Capt. Yates will do just fine ;)

Some more pictures

The young "Misses Berdan" giving the Cimarron 7th Cavalry a go.

She approves of the new addition :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind comments!

Mike, I really need to make the time to send you my RAG 1860 army. It's in great need of a hammer stop and "one of them there cap shrapnel block'n doomahickys" :D

I'm a little embarrassed to say so given it's an Italian Reproduction. But I like this dang pistol so much I could honestly see myself dropping the $200 to send it off to turnbull for a proper bone pack color case on the frame and hammer. :o

Beautiful! I love those old model style Ubertis.
I just bought a Taylor's Old Model 4-3/4" in .45Colt, which sadly came with the hammer block style hammer (which I may replace in the future).
The Uberti pinched rear 'v' sight and the thin front blade are very easy for me to shoot tiny groups with. I may not feel that way in another 10-20 years, but for now I really like them at the range.
Are you going to shorten your base pin?

Howdy

I'm glad you are happy with your new pistol.

However, one slight correction. That is not a pinched frame sight.

This is a pinched frame sight.

450db76511affed7e9bd573ef4b10515.jpg

The pinched frame sight was limited to some of the very early Single Action Army revolvers. I don't think any of the Italian makers are producing a replica with a true pinched frame sight. You could get one from USFA for a while, but they are not producing single action revolvers any more.

P.S. What's the old Smith on the bench? From the finish it looks like it could be a Model 1917, or a Victory Model.

Very nice! A great looking handgun!

I really need to look for one of these . . just for the history of it.

I had a g-g-uncle who rode with Custer's Wolverine Brigade in the Civil War - he was a Sgt. in Co. B, 7th Mich. - taken prisoner two days after Gettysburg - paroled and returned only to be killed near Winchester, VA in 1864.

I had another distant relation who was at the Little Big Horn - he died as well.

Come to think of it - Custer wasn't a good luck charm by any means for my kinfolk! :D

Great looking revolver and I'll bet it shoots well! Enjoy and have fun! :)

BerdanSS, great looking revolver.

I have a Uberti model 1873 P-OM from Cimarron, basically the same revolver as yours only without the cadre markings and mine is a 4-3/4 inch barrel.

Like you I was so impressed with the fit and finish of my first one I bought another Uberti it's the Bisley model, like my first the fit and finish of the Bisley is excellent.

Trigger pulls on both revolvers out of the box with no tweaking is the best I've ever seen, 2-1/2 pounds on the 1873 model P, 2-3/4 pounds on the Bisley.

My 1873 model P has sights like yours and I prefer them to what my Bisley has.

Enjoy your revolver, be careful though, you let the young "Misses Berdan" keep shooting it and you may lose it.:D

Sorry all, been working my tail off last few days, to answer questions:

amd6547 Thank you, yes they both are...they make quite a pair:D

medic15al Yes I do plan on BP loads. I have about 1 &1/2 5 gallon buckets of once fired starline and winchester brass ready and waiting for the day my little shop I'm building is finished.

Driftwood thank you for the correction sir, wonderful picture you posted. I suppose mine is a pinch-based style ;) Also the old smith is a 1905 4th change with all the aussie marks intact. I found that on a local facebook gun sell/trade board and picked it up for less than $240 including the gas to go get it. And it is a tack driver, still in it's original .38 S&W. here is the thred from that pistol http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556493&highlight=38

Poodleshooter Yes I plan on cutting the base pin, or even better finding one that the correct length if there is such an animal anymore.

Last edited:
I just cut my base pin the other day. A quick dremel cut, a slight beveling of the end with sandpaper and then a polish with steel wool followed by a buffing wheel and it took a very nice cold blue. Now it seats to the stop collar and looks more like an original in length, and has no chance of slipping back and causing a failure to fire during shooting.

Aye sirs! Buts I'll still be know'n there's a 2nd position under there on the pin ;) I am going to cut the pin it came with though for right now. I love that the pistol is void of the nasty little hammer safety.

Am I completely nuts that such a thing would bother me? yepper :rolleyes:

Back