Finally had a squib

I've had one, one of my reloads in my 4' S&W M-57. I have made a range rod-a 12" brass rod in a wooden handle. Better than a cleaning rod. Haven't had one since.

Yep, been there, very scary . . . .

Back in the days when I was using Lee dippers to measure powder and just learning to reload I had two squibs in my 44 mag. I realized the first one as it happened. Had a to use a brass rod to bang out the bullet. More scary a friend was shooting the gun when the second one happened. He didn't realize it and tried to take another shot. Fortunately the cylinder was jammed up and he couldn't get it to turn. Made a knot in my stomach for the rest of the day.

Plus, twice I've had remington 22LR squib on me. I don't buy remington 22LR any more.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I couldn't find any squibs in all the factory ammo I shot. I had to make my own!

I recognized it, took the pistol (G26) home and knocked the bullet out, and revised my reloading procedures to check powder drops better.

While I haven't sent a second bullet down the barrel, I have had a squib or two in a semi auto that must have only gotten a primer, no powder. It's surprising how far the bullet can get in the barrel with just a primer. No harm done on those.

One that I do regret is a squib that got stuck in a revolver cylinder. Let's just say: Make sure to remove the cylinder first before you try to hammer the squib out!! :eek: My poor revolver. Gouged the heck out of the two nubs that hold the cylinder in place in the open position (one in front next to crane, one aft). I grimace every time I see it.

While I haven't sent a second bullet down the barrel, I have had a squib or two in a semi auto that must have only gotten a primer, no powder. It's surprising how far the bullet can get in the barrel with just a primer. No harm done on those.

One that I do regret is a squib that got stuck in a revolver cylinder. Let's just say: Make sure to remove the cylinder first before you try to hammer the squib out!! :eek: My poor revolver. Gouged the heck out of the two nubs that hold the cylinder in place in the open position (one in front next to crane, one aft). I grimace every time I see it.
Id remove the cylinder if its in the barrel too, especially if its a plated or jacketed bullet. It was plated in my case.

I found that out with my one 19 while I was pounding the bullet out. I didnt realize the cylinder was beating into the stop on the frame with each whack until I noticed some bluing was worn away.

Squib load: Several years ago a local gun store had a Glock barrel in a showcase. It was badly swollen with what must have been the mother of all rings (know as "dog knots" down here). The barrel was badly swollen. The store guys were able to remove the ruined barrel intact.

In my years of shooting I have had one time when a barrel get ringed. The balance of the gun was not damaged. The maker replaced the barrel at my expense. Sometimes reloading is not economical. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just started reloading 38's and I forgot to charge the gun powder. When I was shooting I heard bang, bang, bang, dink. I stopped because of the weird sound and checked the wheel and barrel and I saw the bullet about half ways down the barrel. Since I was shooting at a friends farm we knocked it out with a long screw driver and went back to shooting. I saved it as a reminder. It's on the shelf in front of my reloading bench.

In my years of shooting I have had one time when a barrel get ringed. The balance of the gun was not damaged. The maker replaced the barrel at my expense. Sometimes reloading is not economical.

You pay your money and take your chances ..... stupid hurts=less stupid .... smarter every single day, right?

I've had a lot of them over the years, most of them in .357 and 9mm cartridges. Blew the barrel tube in one of my Dan Wesson 15-2's when I shot the gun without checking it. There were so many people around me shooting, I wasn't sure what was going on A new barrel tube was 25 bucks and after pounding the bulged and cracked tube out of the shroud, I was shooting it again in minutes. With the 9mm, it was very obvious when they happened, so no drama.

Squib brass rods are available on Amazon...

I experienced 3 squib loads...2 squibs of 22lr Remington Thunderbolts in my revolver, and one in my AK74, using a Tula 5.45x39 round.

I have stuck two bullets. One was a water damaged factory load I was trying to use up.
The other was a very light load and a long OAL. The primer flash did not reach the powder but generated enough pressure to drive the bullet (and unburned powder) into the barrel.

I have managed to avoid the zero powder charge error.

I did have trouble using 700X as a pistol powder. It never bridged completely to give a zero charge but would occasionally deliver 1 grain when 2.5 was wanted. A vibrator on the measure avoided that but I still felt uneasy and eventually quit using it for anything but shotgun.

I had my first one about a month ago. I fired my P365, and it went "pop" instead of "bang". It ejected the spent casing but didn't load the next one. I dropped the mag and locked the slide back and could see daylight through the barrel, so it did have enough to push the bullet through. Maybe not a true squib but a light charge, who knows. It was Herter's brand ammo FWIW, but I've used loads of that without issue before.

I had a squib when I was doing some handloads with roundball loads and a low powder charge. Ended up getting a ball stuck in the bore, but the nice thing about round ball is there's almost no bearing surface, so pushing it out was easy.

I haven't had a squib that I know of but my grandson did just the other day. When we shoot, we usually shoot a few hundred 22 rounds. We were shooting the other day when he suddenly stopped and said "that last one didn't sound right". We laid that one (we had about half a dozen firearms with us) aside and I checked it when we got done. I found the cartridge about 2/3 down the 6.5 inch barrel of the revolver. It was undamaged and appeared that the ammo didn't have any powder in it. I was proud of the 17 year old for recognizing the problem and not shooting it any more.

Back