Finally got that Model 70 I've wanted

Older Winchester = bad news. You will have to buy more!! :) you have opened up as the saying goes "a can of worms" they are wonderful and well made.

1973 Winchester 30-06 with Redfield Widefield 3-9X scope of same year.

DSC_9619.jpg

DSC_9442sml.jpg

Aside from the checkering, what is the difference between a pre-64 and a 1973 ?

Stock up on ammo now while all the major ammo makers have rebates and
then......take that bad boy out and shoot the hell out of it! Get to really know what it can and can't do. The only way to do that is to shoot the hell out of it!

30 cal - I was going to mention, in response to another member's comment, that I had a Winchester Model 70 XTR with the "diagonal" cut to the forend. So, that alone didn't mean that it wasn't a Winchester stock. Now, the lack of checkering...

I was also going to warn you to be careful about stripping the finish, but you've already done it, and it looks great! My warning was that when I stripped the finish on my 70 XTR, the stuff I used ate away part of the white-line spacers on the forend and the butt plate. I had to get rid of the spacers completely. I was young and foolish at the time. Good thing I actually prefer no spacers, cause after the stripping I had no choice! But, I felt like an idiot for making such a mistake. :) The rifle now wears a Bell and Carlson stock, cause the wood stock was too pretty for serious hunting. Later, I sold the original stock on ebay. Wierd how this story gets more and more sad. Someone in Texas got a fantastic stock (beautiful, exceptional striping for a factory stock), albeit sans original white-line spacers. :) Sigh!

In any case, fine looking rifle you got there.

My grandpa gave me a pre 64 model 70, chambered in 270. I refused to take it and then later came home to find it on my porch wrapped in a gun sock. It is the prize of all my collection. He told me he bought it for about $50 dollars new.:eek: I am at work right now otherwise I would attach a picture. It is perfect and priceless to me now.

What is the big difference in the 1964 Model 70 and the 1973 Model 70 ? Why is the 1964 some much more desired ?

What is the big difference in the 1964 Model 70 and the 1973 Model 70 ? Why is the 1964 some much more desired ?

Because they don't make pre 64s any more. They had control round feed (mauser type extractor). Made a little different post 64, method more then anything else.

I'm a Wincherster guy, I have pre and post '64s. I also have the new FN Model 70. I don't think the quality of the post 64s that bad. Fact is my most accurate are post 64s.

The best, over all is the New FN in my opinion. Some how, can't figure why but I dont have a US Repeating Arms Model 70/ Don't know how that sunck by.

Any way I have a '73 Model 70 just like the one posted above. (Checkered Stock). Mine's in 375H&H. Got it brand new at the Ft Richardson AK PX in the spring of 74 for the high price of $235 New.

Just used i tthe other day to get this 5x5 elk.

Elk%201.JPG

This conjures up good/bad memories.

I bought 2 Featherweight M70's in 1958 at the BX at Clark AFB at a price of $87 each. One in .308 and the other .243.

I didn't hang on to either one.

I like what U did with the gun..only I would like it better with steel rings and a decelerator pad...JMO

I would start with a new piece of wood more resembling the factory stock on the pre-64 versions

Yep, I have to agree with this suggestion. Pre-64 Winchester Model 70s should look like pre-64 Winchester rifles. I know I'm no doubt in the minority here but it's what I would do if I was lucky enough to own this fine rifle.

I wish I could download a pic of this "National Match" 30GOV06 my friend had that dude was beautiful, mint condition. It has been my favorite Winchester since I first saw it.

Back