Finally got that Model 70 I've wanted

30Cal

One of my backburner desires was a pre-64 Winchester Model 70, but they've always been too spendy for my budget. Well I saw one at the local gunshop a couple weeks back with a reasonable pricetag. It looked a little ragged indoors. It had a couple coats of heavy varnish (look at those yellow-line spacers)--whoever did it didn't bother to take it out of the stock.

It's turning out waaaaaaay better than I thought it would as I was standing there in the store. I've stripped the stock down, and am refinishing it in Tung Oil. I really thought the wood would way outshine the metal (new stock on a worn action), but on closer inspection, the metal is 99%--all that light rust turned out to be varnish fingerprints.

I dumped the Tasco and picked up an old Redfield 4x to mount on it. My dad found a replacement rear sight. I've got to fix a crack behind the magazine well, and I'm going to do a light bedding job before we hit the range.

Took these when I got it home, before doing any work. Looks a hell of a lot better than it did in the store. I figured the field grade M1 I gave up was a pretty fair trade, but I think now that I the better end of the deal.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

No checkering?

I really suspect that this is a fajen drop in replacement stock. Got good wood?

I agree. Peel off the varnish, see if you can get a nice, simple checker job, and you will have a wonderful piece.

After looking again, I'm more certain than ever that it is a fajen replacement.

Winchester would never have put that diagonal cut forend on. That forend tip, at least on mine, is rosewood. Mine came square cut and I left the square cut instead of rounding it off. Their standard wood was ozark forest grown black walnut that was good, dense, well colored, and it usually had good grain, even in lower grades, but nothing special in the lower grades. I never saw a single stock from them that wasn't head and shoulders above the typical wooden stock in the past. Now that everything is plastic, a walnut stock is invariably better than they ever were in the past on the lower and entry level rifles.

Did that Tasco scope hold zero? Was it made in Japan? If yes to both of those and you want to get rid of it, shoot me a pm.

I think you're right about the stock. It a pretty good piece of walnut with a modest amount of figure to it.

I have studied these model Winchesters for about 45 years now and have an extensive library for research. I didnt realise there was a question about stock originality. The stock is definately NOT Winchester, though it is a nice piece of lumber. Gun was built from 1960 to 1963. What caliber is she?

Yeah the stock looks like they were trying to get a Weatherby look.

Looks beautiful though :)

I have always thought Weatherby had the best looking stocks around.

Great job of restoration. Good that the Tasco was dumped for a 4X Redfield too. You did everything right and made a classic American gun into an All- American gun.

I would start with a new piece of wood more resembling the factory stock on the pre-64 versions OR maybe better yet the current versions. Maybe like the new "lightweight" stock with the cool fore-end. Sorry but I think that would totally transform this rifle into a real gem.

Hey you guys...about that 4X Redfield...what can you tell me about it's quality?The reason I ask is recently I bought a used rifle and it also had a 4X Redfield. Are they a good scope? I've always had Leupolds.
Thanks...

FWIW, Colorado-made Redfield scopes from the 70's were the Gold Standard in quality scopes before Leupold.

Weaver was the Buick, Bushnell the Chevrolet.

Tasco filled the gap between the pinto and the skateboard.

There were still times that you were better off on foot even then.

PetahW,
This Redfield scope I've got is a 4x "Tracker" model. Any idea how old it may be or any other info about it's quality or if it was made in Colorado?

Thanks again...

Well, I pulled all the varnish off and put a more appropriate scope on it...

Look Ma! No more yellow-line spacers!
DSC_9619.jpg

DSC_9630.jpg

DSC_9620.jpg

Here's the worst of the finish wear...
DSC_9622.jpg

It's definitely less orange and more red in person than today's pics show. The initial pics I took are failing to show the before/after contrast. It went from looking 75-80% to 99%. Not crazy about the mounts, but they'll do. I don't think the iron sights will work w/ a set of Redfields.

Last edited:
Back