Fighting knives?

Trimation

I know this isn't a knife forum but please, indulge me. I was wondering what you guys think is the best all time fighting knife?

I always here so many good things about the ka-bar. Is that really the best all time fighting knife out there?

What do you think?

I second the Ka-Bar. I have the Second Gen. fighter and love it.

Just make sure to get the leather sheath...the darn Kydex rattles! Sent the sheath back after taking no lip, got a leather one in return and could not be happier.

The Kabar is a good field knife. As a fighter anything with a point and an edge can be used as a weapon. It is a modifield bowie with an unsharpened clip point. The bowie knife is one of the most effective fighting knife pattern ever developed. There are many styles of fighting most have thier own styles of blades. I have studied over twelve different systems. No one is the best . It is the skill level of the fighter that is most important. While I suggest the bowie with a 8-10" blade is the most versital of the patterns I have been known to carry several other patterns as the Bowie and Dirk are both illegal to carry in my state. This law dates back to the 1800s When an argument in the state legislature was ended by one of the parties using a Bowie knife. They did not adjorn that day until they had passed that one law.

For fighting knives that are easily available I reccommend any of the following. This list is by no means complete or exclusive. Just short.

REKAT hobbit warrior
Cold steel (american) tanto
MOD Mark V ATAC
Ontario Hells Belle
Camillus Cuda
Randall Md. one

There are literally thousands of factory and custom fighters out there. The fit and balance of your knife is more important than anything else you will use. It is literally a part of your body.

I will stop now because there and made room for all the other opinions. This is a never ending quest.

Have a great time looking, Cheers,

ts

I kinda like the Cold Steel "Kobun" tanto. It was obscenely sharp out of the box, The sheath is functional and tough, it is lighter than a regular Cold Steel tanto and is easier to conceal because of length and lack of handle thickness. This knife is now clipped onto the reinforcing plate of the double mag carrier on my shoulder rig. Works quite well and hardly prints at all. I also like the Cold Steel "Oyabun" tanto but the length is too much for me to try and conceal.

michael

My favorite "fighter" is the EDMF smatchet with a eleven and a half inch blade made by Dale Sandberg.
I just got mine in the mail Friday.
Mine has the model B handle and #15 blade.
www.edmfknives.com

We are talking about real fighting knives. The Ka Bar is a wonderful 6 inch utility knife. Folders are the .25 autos of the knife world. Sorry, but it's true. Run a few drills and see how
much faster the Ka Bar is to take out a wrist or make an
accurate strike. The all time best fighting knife of time is
a split for me. I lean toward the American Bowie, the greatest
fighter of all time. The Indian Kukri, in good hands, maybe--
but those who know tell me the Kukri is a short sword, not
a fighting knife. Makes sense to me. The French have the Rapier the British the Halberd, and the Canadians salad forks.
We have the Bowie-which the Ka Bar and every other modern fixed blade fighter owes a lot to.

Just like guns, the best knife is the one you always have with you and feel most comfortable with. The KA-BAR is a great knife. I keep one in my Jeep, between the driver's seat and the center console. But it's not likely to be something I have in my hip pocket when I need it. Most of the time, that is a Spyderco Endura. I have some others I would rather carry all the time, but the Spyderco is often the most practical because of size, weight, fit, etc. Life is full of compromises.

By the way, the KA-BAR next to the console is just an option, because there is a SIG P239 in the console.

Just like martial arts

I believe it's just like martial arts and guns...no best one.

Depends on the user and the user's skill...and sometimes luck.

For close in I like the Cold Steel Tanto...little more reach and I love the Cold Steel Kukri...light and quick, fast to get into action, with the weight in a place that can maximize some "lopping" actions.

Not bloody likely, but against someone with a bladed weapon...my answer?...two kukri's....at a distance? a good handgun with adequate caliber.

Lasur,

I believe you are wrong on the no best martial arts comment. I have studied martial arts since I was a young kid and there are definetely some arts out there that aren't even worthy of being given the title of a martial art.

For instance: wu-shu, capuera, tae kwon doe, shoto kan and so on and so forth.

Trimation

Best Fighting Knives

I sell alot of knives and get to see most of what's out there. For folders I'd suggest 3: Microtech Socom or Mini Socom, Masters of defense Mid size Dieter CQD, Masters of Defense Trident. All three are "flick knives". When you learn how to flick, you don't need an automatic. Each knife is of excellent quality and the finest steel. The Dieter has a window breaker in the butt to help the Buenos Aires cabbie situation psted elsewhere on this forum.

As to fixed blades, there are a lot of good knives on the market. I'd recommend a 5 or 6 inch blade as anything longer is unwieldy unless you practice quite a bit.

The old saw is true though "Everyone gets cut in a knife fight". If I couldn't/oppose shooting, I'd get a tomahawk. A much better defensive weapon. Carried upside down in the back of the belt, it's highy concealabe. Scares the mud out or your enemy. A Polaris Warhawk @ $150, beats most of the knives I've listed above in price.

Stay away from Titanium blades. They are a b.... to sharpen.

How about a Fairbairn or a brit marine stiletto

I have a nice woodcarving knive that I put a small brass guard on thats sharp and cuts like laser thru grey matter.

Snowdog,

You are right. It is a good art for competition. But for self defense it is horrible. It is a style that has been americanized and redered completely useless. The last thing that you want to do while engaging one or more attackers is go aerial on someone. I have studied Tae Kwon Doe. I wanted to see what all the hype was about and it was just that, hype. I have studied a form of kung fu since I was 8 years old. It is probably one of the most effective and deadliest arts that you can study. No fluff. No aerial kicking. Just pure kill 'em if you have to in as little time as you can. Tae Kwon Doe is great for parents who want to get their little kids into a sport although for me personally I wouldn't want my son or daughter to have to use it in a tough situation.

Have I elaborated enough?

Trimation

The effectiveness of martial arts is not in the style -- it is in the person.

I have seen and I have fought tae kwon do stylists who trained in tae kwon do with a warrior heart, and those people handed me my head on a platter.

I have also tussled with people who have trained in muay thai for years, but trained in the art as tres chic aerobic class and I didn't have just a whole lot of trouble with them.
Anyone who espouses or denigrates one martial art over another has very little understanding of combat.

LawDog

That is bull Lawdog. You can have the heart of a damn lion but if you aren't trained properly then you might as well tear your own heart out with your hands and put it in your pocket for storage cause it aint gonna do a damn bit of good. You don't just instinctively learn how to defend yourself, you have to be taught by someone that is teaching you what to do and the right way to do it. I can't even count the number of tae kwon doe students I have taken in under ten seconds. Hard styles have no place in modern combat.

Trimation

:D

actually, I made senior (for whatever that says) under a different screenname (traitorjack) but changed it for obvious reasons.

-alex.

p.s. just to keep this on-topic, I usually carry a pretty badly beaten up CRKT m16. I'm not terrifically happy with it, but it comes in handy an awful lot, and it suits for now. my brother carries one of those BOA assisted open knives, which I like pretty well, but I don't know if I $90 like it, not with the workout I know I'll be giving it.

with regards to knife fighting, ah, thanks but no thanks. blood-borne pathogens, anyone? I used to work out with guys who did knife training, and while it was fun and I did okay, you find out pretty quickly that in a knife fight you're practically guaranteed getting cut.

I also carry a 26" ASP, which, oddly enough, finds near-daily use as a reachin' stick.

Back