FFL refuses to ship gun back to seller directly. Insist it go thru FFL. WHY?

Jim Watson
It violates FedEx/UPS policies.
Yet it is routinely being done.
Believe it or not, but nearly every week I'll get a handgun that was shipped by a nonlicensee in a USPS Flat Rate Box.....thats a felony.
If I get that many I'm sure other dealers do as well.
So while it seems to happen routinely, it doesn't make it any less of a felony.

Similarly, I get handguns every week that were shipped Ground.....which isn't a crime, but certainly violates both UPS and FedEx policies.

Employees don't know or understand policy?
If the shipper doesn't tell what is in the box how will they know what's in the box?

Fedups letting it pass to get the business?
FedEx's firearm shipping policy has cost them business. Seems to me if they want more business, get rid of the policy that is costing you that business.;)

stagpanther
Quote:
Which doesn't matter one bit.
It has in every case of returning of a firearm to a manufacturer without needing to go through FFL that I've done. The manufacturer maintains permanent record of the serial number, the original transfer went through an FFL already and ownership has not changed and the manufacturer does not need an FFL to receive back a firearm. That's pretty much the legal mechanics as I understand it. If the shippers wake up on the wrong side of the bed and decide they want to change things up--that's a different issue.
Again, whether "they were the ones that created the registration serial number to begin with." is immaterial. It matters not one bit who "created the registration serial number"......not every gun shipped for repair is shipped to the original manufacturer. There are thousands of gunsmiths who work on all manner of firearms and you can lawfully ship a firearm to them for repair.

If Glock decides tomorrow that it will begin repairing S&W revolvers....federal law doesn't prohibit you from shipping your Model 10 to Glock for repair. And sure as heck Glock didn't make that revolver or create its serial number.;)

Unclenick It may also be the common carrier's policy to accept a return slip issued by the manufacturer as being equivalent to an FFL doing the shipping, albeit remotely.
That isn't in either UPS or FedEx policy.

I asked my UPS rep if I could send a return label and was told it wasn't allowed.

I'll bet those sending out return labels aren't asking permission.:D

stagpanther So here's an extra loop you might find interesting. An FFL licensee/gun shop that I've used for many years recently called me and told me that they had refused a delivery of a weapon I had ordered because the delivery service demanded that they--the FFL gun shop--provide the delivery driver photocopies of their ID's--much as we are required when we do the transfer. They apologized to me and told me I might not get my gun through them, but they were not going to budge.

I told them I supported them 100% and not to worry about the delivery. The shipping company eventually backed off .
FedEx started doing that last June.
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/delivery-options/signature-services.html#:~:text=On%20June%2028%2C%202022%2C%20FedEx,name%20and%20automate%20age%20verification.
ID scanning to be required for adult signatures starting in June 2022
On June 28, 2022, FedEx Express and FedEx Ground will enable ID scanning functionality for deliveries in the U.S. which require an adult signature. Our ID scanning technology will electronically capture the recipient’s name and automate age verification. This new process eliminates the need for manual data entry of recipient information and improves the accuracy of recipient information.

When a recipient’s ID is scanned, our scanning technology will:

Capture the recipient’s name associated with the ID and auto-populate the first initial and last name.
Confirm the recipient is 21 years or older.
Our software does not record any other personal data (e.g., driver's license number, phone number(s), birthdate, home address, etc.). However, capturing the recipient’s first initial and last name is part of the existing proof of delivery process for all signature deliveries and will be retained only as long as necessary.

Frequently asked questions
Why is the FedEx driver asking to scan my ID at delivery?

Effective 06/28/22, FedEx will introduce scanning technology that electronically captures the recipient’s first initial, last name, and automatically verifies age requirements are met for deliveries requiring an adult signature. The software does not record or store any other personal data (e.g., driver's license number, birthdate, home address, etc.). If you are expecting a delivery, please have your valid government-issued photo ID ready at the time of delivery.

What if I do not want to have my ID scanned at delivery?

If you decline to have your ID scanned at delivery, your age will be verified by the driver by manually entering your date of birth. The driver will also manually enter your first initial and last name.

Can anyone 21 years or older accept my adult signature required for package delivery?

Yes. Any individual 21 years or older who is not visibly intoxicated at the delivery address may present their ID for age verification and accept your adult signature required delivery.

What data will FedEx collect when an ID is scanned?

FedEx will only record the first initial and last name of the ID holder, which is part of the existing proof of delivery information that is captured for all signature deliveries.
FedEx will not record or store any other personal data encoded within a recipient’s ID (e.g., driver's license number, birthdate, home address, etc.) and no picture of the ID is taken.

If a recipient does not have a driver’s license, what other forms of ID are acceptable?

The following forms of ID can be scanned:

U.S. driver license
U.S. Passport (only available for FedEx Ground deliveries)
U.S. state ID
U.S. military ID
If another form of ID that is unable to be scanned is provided, it will be inspected manually for age verification.

Does the name and address on the shipping label have to match with the name and address on the ID of the recipient?

No. A recipient’s ID will be scanned to verify the individual accepting the adult signature required delivery is 21 years or older.

I asked my UPS rep if I could send a return label and was told it wasn't allowed.

I'll bet those sending out return labels aren't asking permission.

Maybe they are making an allowance for manufacturers and not just any FFL?

FITASC
Quote:

I'll bet those sending out return labels aren't asking permission.
Maybe they are making an allowance for manufacturers and not just any FFL?
I'm licensed as a manufacturer.;)

Back