Few accorns in the woods of VA

annual

Pretty sure that white oaks and chestnut oaks bear annually, or are supposed to. Red Oaks have a bi annual cycle. Infestation....good point

Forage

I have had some success hunting around access to green forage. When looking there is plenty of sign the deer have been eating to a height of about 3 feet. My property has been hit hard and I look for similar damage to leafy areas near openings in the woods. I hunt travel routes between bedding areas and green areas, and anticipate that deer will travel in and around access to green browse. I also choose areas that may hold deer that move some distance to crops or fields. I have seen two nice bucks and feel confident with this approach.

Here in East Texas..the pin oak acorns are about non-existent..but the post oaks are really putting out..they are small tho and will run out before the season is over....

8 pt tagged

I did have a good hunt with my brother. I shot a doe and another friend shot the 8pt I had seen previously. Three days after my brother left, I shot an 8 point. Even so, I am looking forward to acorns next season.

When the acorns are sparse in my neck of the woods I hunt near young spruce groves. They love eating the young buds and usually don't wander to far from them when other food sources aren't producing.

Back