Felt recoil revolver vs. auto pistol

The most valid comparison I can make is my 9mm KT PF-9 vs S&W 642 in 38spl.

Both are compact lightweights in comparable calibers. I've read online complaints on the sharp recoil from the PF-9. My own experience is that while it's noticeable, it isn't particularly bothersome. The 642 with stout 38+P ammo is a hand punisher, though. Firing Buffalo Bore FBI loads from this little snub is no fun at all.

Here's another thing, one seldom thought of, but possibly making a difference in the "feel" (but not the energy). In a semi auto, other than the last round, you also have the force of the slide going forward.

We all have felt that little "jar" in the hand when letting the slide run shut. That force is opposite the direction of recoil, and happens when the gun is still recoiling in our hands, so it has to have some effect on the perceived feel in the hand.

And its all about feel. This is most influenced by the design characteristics of the gun used, with the way your hands fit the grip being the other main factor.

Some times, the difference is subtle, sometimes not. One 9mm that I had, a Cobray M11/9, had more felt recoil than any other 9mm pistol I have shot, outside of the pocket size guns. The Cobray was big, & heavy, being the semi auto version of a SMG (Mac 10 style). Firing it with a normal grip, with its vertical grip, under the center of the gun, with a big, heavy bolt bouncing back and forth gave it more muzzle flip, and more felt force in the hand that the much lighter and smaller duty class pistols, (1911, HiPower, etc).

Energy in the guns was exactly the same, (same ammo) but the effect of the design on the feel of the recoil was very noticeable.

Another example, many people say the 9mm has less "kick" than the .45ACP. Why is that? Taking the standard FMJ ball loading in both the energy of both is virtually identical (368ft/lbs +/-). And you can get them in the same guns (1911, Sig, etc.)

Something makes a difference in the feel, so people think its less. In my hands, the total amount either one jumps is the same, the 9mm just seems to get there "quicker". I don't think the 9mm recoils less, it just feels different. But, that's just me...;)

OK guys, this thread got me to really wanting to try to measure the impulse of a semi-auto and revolver under recoil. I know it can be done with a ballistic pendulum and the formulas are well known. I used to measure the impulse from a .22 bullet when I was teaching high school physics. I have a 1911 clone and 1917 Colt revolver so can compare 45 ACP in both guns. I can see how to suspend the weapons on a two cable pendulum set up but I can't figure out how to fire them? Any ideas or suggestions? Both have relatively heavy trigger pulls. gunslinger

Stubbicat, it is nice that you had a pleasant day shooting your two pistols and discovered one is easier to shoot than the other. I too often enjoy a day plinking at rocks and cans, my weapons that are easy on me get fired more--- period. No matter what statistical data others come up with the fun guns digest more ammo.

Any ideas or suggestions?

You need to avoid any external forces on the gun. Easiest way to do it would probably be a small air bag (ballon?) just in front of the trigger connected to a hand pump or air compressor by a small, very flexible hose of negligible mass. Pump it up till it fires the gun.

If you want to get fancy, you could build a small motorized mechanism that would attach to the grip and pull the trigger using either a cable or a mechanical linkage.

Found that Myth Busters has done a number of things with recoil so I am studying those for a start. May be easier to compare rifles. gunslinger

I've found the same thing. I can shoot a 1911 all day. I break out the old Colt 1917 and, my hand is hurting after a few cylinders full.

For me, its all about the bore axis and the fact that a revolver torques in my hand. there is a magic sweet spot on the inside of my thumb joint near the web that a revolver seems to smack with disturbing regularity and it just flat out hurts after awhile.

It never bothered me before. Perhaps 30+ years of shooting .357's, 41's and 44's just beat that nerve silly. I remember shooting the big bore revolvers until the web of my hand was bleeding, but, it never HURT like it does now.

I'm very much of the camp that (for me at least) bore axis height has more to do with what I feel than most of the other factors.

And there are many, many factors.

I've compared the same ammo in a Smith & Wesson 1006 and a Glock 29.

One pistol is a massive two-piece hunk of steel, full size, nothing small or light about it in any way. The other one is compact(ish), similar external dimensions as a G19 (but thicker) with a full polymer frame of much less size and weight.

However, the bore axis is noticeably lower on the Glock 29 than the big old S&W tank, and the G29 is easier to shoot in every way.

it would be interesting to know the difference between the standard revolver and the revolvers with barrels at the 6 oclock position instead of 12. like the mateba and the chiapa rhino. :p

Last edited:
Back