"feels good in the hand"

Having shot handgun competition for many, many years (and shot it very well), I have never heard a really good handgun shooter tell me that they shot "gun A" better than "gun B" because it felt better in their hand. I have heard them say that one had a more comfortable grip or some such thing, but it didn't keep them from buying the one that felt less comfortable to use in competition. They just bought the one that they actually shot better regardless of the feel good factor. I have personally purchased several high end custom built handguns that I shot very, very well but never felt all that good to me. They were semi-auto and a good revolver always felt better to me. However, in the end the semi-auto produced better end results for the intended application.

For me, feeling good in the hand means it fits well without needing me to hold it in ways that feel unnatural.

For the most part, feeling good in the hand effects my desire to shoot it more than how well I shoot it. I find the PPQ to be towards the top of the list for comfort for me, it just feels natural and I shoot them well. The P320 felt good as well, but it turns out that the rounder grip was comfortable but harder for me to keep a string of shots together. Glocks are the least comfortable and it would be more effective for me to throw it at the target. Could I learn to overcome the issues the 320 or Glocks? Probably, but why bother when the PPQ fills the same role without that need.

Last edited:
I have frequently seen that statement in regard to the handling characteristics of a handgun. My questions are: If a gun "feels good" does that always result in a more accurate gun? Can a gun that "does not feel good in the hand", like being barrel heavy actually be more conducive to accuracy than a gun that "feels good."
"feeling good in the hand" isn't a magic formula for accuracy AFAIC. Made the mistake of choosing a .22RF once 'cause it fit great in the hand. Problem was, it was a SIG Mosquito. What a piece of crap!

An example, Model 19/66 S&W Feels very comfortable in my hand. Colt Trooper not so much. S&W Model 29 not at all.

Taurus PT92C Feels very good in my hand while the XD Mod2 not as much but I shoot the XD a bit better because at indoor ranges it has better sights and I can see them easier. Outdoors in daylight it is exactly the opposite.

I find compacts and sub-compacts that I can only get 2 fingers on the grip to be very uncomfortable. The same with many small square single stack grips.

Then we have the ambiguous, "well balanced". I cannot think of a better example of "feels good in the hand" and "well balanced" as a P08 with a four-inch barrel. All the "right" platitudes, but still not a very shootable gun with all its weight in the hand resulting in very poor pointability. But, it sure "feels" good. Get an Artillery or Navel model P08 with their long barrels and add barrel weights and one will understand what I am talking about.

Last edited:
My CZ 75B, CZ P-01, BHP, and my HK P30 9mm, P2000 9mm, and HK45 all feel great in my hand, all balance beautifully, and all shoot great at the range. I’ve always preferred my smaller SIGs (P6, P228, M11-A1), over the larger SIGs, I just never really cared for the P220 I once owned, although I can shoot my P226 in .40S&W very well.

My Ruger SR1911 Commander Length is better balanced than the full length 1911’s I have and is almost as accurate. My STI Trojan 9mm 1911 has the thin STI grips which doesn’t fit my shooting hand as well as the thicker 1911 grips; but I still shoot this gun very well.

My Glocks, well despite their lack of ergonomics, my Gen3 17 & 19 and Gen4 21 are all reliable and accurate shooters.

IMHO, my revolvers need 4” or longer barrels to shoot accurately, my 617 and 686 are both 6” and are both fantastic shooters, but a longer barreled revolver don’t look as good or balance as well as a shorter barreled version.

IMHO, my revolvers need 4” or longer barrels to shoot accurately, my 617 and 686 are both 6” and are both fantastic shooters, but a longer barreled revolver don’t look as good or balance as well as a shorter barreled version.
For those of us who need specifics to understand, would you please define what "good balance" is?

I prefer one that feels good and points naturally whether a pistol or a long gun.
Why do so many companies offer interchangeable backstraps and such. Why do most professional rifle shooters use adjustable stocks. High end sporting clay guns offer almost infinite adjustments to fit each person.

Fit/feel is just as an important piece of the puzzle as sights, trigger, barrel and ammo. IMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It’s all part of the equation.

If it feels good. You’ll shoot it more, you’ll be more accurate.

A 1911 does it for me. Of course, I’ve shot thousands and thousands of rounds through a 1911 in th IPSC days.

I had to give up that gun for an issued Glock 35.

Felt awful in my hand. I can shoot it well , just never as well as a 1911.

I also have dainty little girl hands. So the majority of double stacks just don’t fit my hand well. Period. Can’t change that. Doesn’t feel as good...don’t shoot it as often...don’t like it....didn’t have a choice.

Now, the Kahr T9? Literally, it’s like I sent them my hand and said “build a gun to fit that...”

I have owned a lot of handguns over the last 30+ years, some that felt good and some that didn't. As far as how this affected my accuracy in shooting them, it varied. But, I've only kept the ones that both felt good and shot good. I only keep guns that I like and can shoot good. I have one right now that feels good but only shoots so so for me, but it's resale value is pretty much zilch so I'm keeping it. I also have one more I'm on the fence about, it shoots ok, not great but good enough. It's also fairly good feeling in the hand but not great. I really want to like and keep this gun, so for now I'll just keep shooting it and it will eventually play out whether I keep it or not.

Gauging grip or feel can only happen after one fires the gun. Prior to it just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are suggesting that by just picking one up a person cannot tell if something feels good in their hand? Really has nothing to do with whether it will shoot well. Fell and performance are two different perspectives.

example. I have two very different casting rods I use. One of them cost me a lot of money the other was only about $50.00 Both feel real good when held but when used the cheap one actually is much more sensitive and transmits a better "Feel", feedback.

Yes, I use the term, it should feel good in your hands...meaning the grip angle suits you, the size of the grip, weight, balance, controls, etc ...all suit you.

No, it is not the end all in making a decision on a gun...but its a start.

Can you shoot a gun that feels clumsy in your hands...maybe / but I doubt you could shoot it in rapid fire with 95% or more A zone hits ( say, something with even moderate speed like Draw and Fire 5 rounds in under 3.7 Sec --- which is about a class B shooter ).

( For me, a full sized 1911, 5" barrel ...meets all those criteria .../ and if its properly made and tuned it will have a great trigger as well ).

One thing I have not seen anyone mention which I see happening all the time at the range are all those people that take a shot and then have to re-grip their pistol to get it back into position before they can make a second shot..

I used to have to do that at times with my Model 19 357mag with full Magnum loads.

I have frequently seen that statement in regard to the handling characteristics of a handgun. My questions are: If a gun "feels good" does that always result in a more accurate gun? Can a gun that "does not feel good in the hand", like being barrel heavy actually be more conducive to accuracy than a gun that "feels good."

I consider "feeling good in your hand" different than "feeling good with the gun held out at arms length". "Feeling good in your hand"to me means the grips fit your hands well and the frame size/ergonomics of the gun are conducive to proper shooting, i.e. trigger reach, easy access to safety/hammer. IME, a firearm, regardless of platform that is more pleasant to shoot, is one that is going to get shot more. So while it may not be the most accurate gun you may have, it probably will be the one you are most proficient with overall. Anyone who does not believe how a gun "fits" you dose not equate to accuracy, hasn't shot much shotgun. While shooting slow, taking your time and concentrating, one can be accurate with most any firearm, shooting quickly by point, instinctively and with quick follow up shots, means a gun needs to point well for you....thus fitting you. While I know many folk change their grips because of aesthetics, many change them because of how they feel in their hand. It may be subjective, but being confident and comfortable with what you are shooting can and does contribute to accuracy.

A valid concept IMHO-like good tasting food or beverages, or comfortable footwear. People have praised the Remington 51 because J.D. Pedersen spent a lot of time on the grip.
Shotgunners pay a lot of attention to fit, and comfortable grips are important to revolver shooters.

Back