Feelings on the Henry Garden Gun.

Safe money says that cat never sat when he wasn't hungry. That isn't so much teaching as it is grudging compliance. If the cat could figure out a way to take the food from your warm corpse his sitting days would be over.

Well if you don't believe the sitting cat, you certainly won't believe that having learned my lesson about sitting, I trained the next pair to come when I whistled. I did it the same way you'd train a dog, I whistled when I fed them and they associated the sound with something good. It used to amuse the neighbors when I'd whistle and two cats would stop whatever they were doing and come running home.

When we had cats they came running at the sound of the can opener. So sure a hungry, ferocious killer knows when it is time for dinner and will come running. A dog is different. A dog is teachable. It isn't always about the food.

You whistle for a cat and there is no food and they immediately start plotting your demise. Not that they didn't already have a plan...

Last edited:
I would guess that in areas where it is zoned as "Shotgun only" for hunting, pest control, etc., in a suburban backyard or woodlot, a .22 bullet out of a smoothbore barrel would still shoot accurately enough at short range to dispatch woodchucks, rabbits, crows, rats, skunks, opossum, gamebirds, feral cats, etc.
Years ago, about 30, in a town in Southern Maine, Gorham, right in the village (University of Southern Maine just up the street), someone used a .30-06 to take out a woodchuck. Didn't go over well!! Neighbors, the nearby school, library and police were NOT impressed. :D
Soon after, Gorham passed stricter town firearms ordinances and on the outskirts of town banned rifled arms for hunting, etc. As I used to live in and hunt that outlying area, farmland on the outskirts of town, I had to use a shotgun, hi-power air / pellet rifle or recurve bow, depending upon the game. If one lived in such are area, for small game hunting and or backyard pest control, I can definitely see a place for a .22 smoothbore.

Last edited:
Let me update my post. Tonight i used a combination of ccw #12 ratshot out of a old Winchester model 67 A to take care of a rat in my chicken coop. It did the job great . I wish I knew how to post the pictures up here. For some who live close to others in the city it works great. I can now see it has its place.

The old 22 smooth bore barrels with Routledge bores produce good patterns at distances up to about 15 yards when used with the crimped 22 shot shells.

Not sure about a regular (non-stepped) 22 cal smooth bores. Perhaps they work fairly well with the 22 cal plastic shot capsules.

When I was in the Boy Scouts and at summer camp - nearly 60 years ago - we were drilled on shooting using a bolt action .22 smoothbore. Don’t know who the manufacturer was. It had a stepped bore. It used the little .22 shotshell. You could hit a hand thrown clay with it if you were fast and lucky.
For shooting small things in a barn or a garage or a coop of some sort, nowadays, I would use Gamo’s break barrel Viper smoothbore .22. Buy a box of their little plastic shotshells (expensive at $8/25), some #12 shot and reload them as needed.

Last edited:
Back