Feelings on the Henry Garden Gun.

It is on my short list. Why? I have several barns, horses on 15 acres. We get a ton of pest birds, mice and rats from the grain elevator not far from the house. The 22 shot shells work well inside barns and around machinery. This allows for better range. Outside I just use a plain old 22LR.

I imagine the only purpose would be for use by elderly people who can't tolerate any recoil and want something to carry around for the sole purpose of ineffective pest control.

.22 birdshot has a rather limited range. We used it for target practice shooting at locusts when I was a kid. Not gonna be too effective on pests that are very big or very far away.

Nanuk probably has the best use for it.

Shooting 22 shot from a rifled barrel spins the shot, causing the pattern to dissipate rapidly. Using a smoothbore barrel will triple the effective range of 22 shot. Mind you, that means an increase from ten feet to ten yards. The shot used is #12, and it's called "dust shot" for a reason. Still, if you have a problem with mice or starlings in your barn, it's just the thing.

There seems to be just enough market for one of the manufacturers to offer a 22 smoothbore at a time. Marlin had a Garden Gun for a while, Savage had one for a while, I guess it's Henry's turn now.

The reason I asked is because I live in the city as of now, and I keep chickens. Now when I say city I have a fairly good-sized lot, and those that have kept chickens before know where there are chickens there are rats usually. I keep my chicken feed is stored in containers. But I have a detached garage from my house and rats will once in awhile invade that. I usually use traps and live traps and my Terriers to take care of the matter. My dad grew up on a farm and he told tale of the 22 rat shot used in Barns. I've never used it before , so I don't know what the sound rapport is, and the effectiveness is.

Last edited:
I've never used it before , so I don't know what the sound rapport is, and the effectiveness is.

The report is like any other standard velocity 22. I've only used it on mice and small birds. It would probably work on rats within its range limits, but there are rats and there are RATS. The large mouse size would be one thing, the small cat size would be another. Keep the range close.

There was a time in the not too distant past when garden guns were a socially acceptable way to keep pests out of your garden. In today's political environment, I can see someone getting SWAT called on them because of a garden gun. Besides, most communities have laws against discharging firearms inside city limits. Effective? Yeah, sure, from back door to back fence distances, I've seen them used on pigeons and starlings to good effect. But it's not like you're going to ravage the rat population with one. They're a close range proposition. I would take a serious look at rat traps if it were me, or get a pellet gun with a night scope.

Interesting.

I think that the traditional European garden gun was a 9mm shotgun.

Of course, the first thing I want to know about the Henry is how well it would shoot a solid projectile. A typical bullet would tumble, but I think that if it were loaded with a round projectile it should provide decent accuracy at typical pistol ranges.

I have two Remington smooth bore .22 rifles, they shoot very well for my needs, close range chipmunks-spirrows-starlings. my rifles shoot much better with crimped shells, the cci shells with the plastic cover cap are not very good. I,m not worried about noise as much about a errant bullet going to far.

The garden gun is not a new thing and I suppose the Henry 22 has utility as something effective and quiet for garden pests, though I wonder about 22 shot shells on snakes. If considering a lever smooth bore I'd probably be more about the 410 lever they make.

I have an original Winchester model 36 9mm rimfire garden gun. It was made between 1920-1927, about 20,000 were made, so I understand. It came with 5 antique shells, and I've bought a couple boxes of modern made ammo from Fiocchi. It looks like a single shot bolt action (which it is), and seems mechanically sound, though the finish is all but gone.

It probably would be good for small pests and maybe small snakes, the expected velocity is 600-700fps. I recall it being made to be quiet, and at that velocity it probably is. Haven't fired it yet.

When riding the mower I admit to being comfortable with a poly judge with #7 or #8 410 shells. No doubts about snakes.

The garden gun is not a new thing and I suppose the Henry 22 has utility as something effective and quiet for garden pests, though I wonder about 22 shot shells on snakes. If considering a lever smooth bore I'd probably be more about the 410 lever they make.

I have an original Winchester model 36 9mm rimfire garden gun. It was made between 1920-1927, about 20,000 were made, so I understand. It came with 5 antique shells, and I've bought a couple boxes of modern made ammo from Fiocchi. It looks like a single shot bolt action (which it is), and seems mechanically sound, though the finish is all but gone.

It probably would be good for small pests and maybe small snakes, the expected velocity is 600-700fps. I recall it being made to be quiet, and at that velocity it probably is. Haven't fired it yet.

When riding the mower I admit to being comfortable with a poly judge with #7 or #8 410 shells. No doubts about snakes.

I can’t help but believe a judge with those loads would be more efficient with Rats also.

Marlin had one & Savage has one: doesn’t make it the “best” solution.

I’d prefer a judge with some .410 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd love to have one, not sure I want to spend the money though. Lots of childhood memories here shooting birds out of the cattle barns at night. My Marlin 25N did a fine job--micro groove is closer to smooth bore I reckon.

Definitely a niche market. It's too bad it couldn't be like a shotgun and easily swap barrels, that would make it more popular, I'd probably own one then.

Back