Feeding hogs: I need information

I thought I'd follow up. I picked the hogs up. They were considerably bigger and so I brought them home in a large dog kennel. They were a bit more athletic than I recall of domestic pigs. Rooting under the pen wasn't the problem, they leapt the 3' hog-panel pen that I had built them and did so with almost no effort at all. They then began to chase my dog so I let her in the house. I had to shoot them while they cowered in the corner of the yard.

Tasty meat. I'm satisfied.

LOL!!!!:)

That's gotta be one of the best endings to a thread that I've ever seen.

Thanks! That was really funny! It made my day.

Quote: Is it legal to own native game animals in Texas? To castrate wild animals? If

I am am very late on this also, but I had to put in my two cents worth.

I figure if a guy is determined enough to cut the juevos off a wild pig, the TP&W guys probably wouldn't bother him too much.

If you are going to cook him when he gets to be 50 or 60 pounds on the hoof, so he will be about twenty five in the cooker, I bet you probably wouldn't need to castrate him.

Because he will gain one pound a day, for three pounds of feed, just like a domestic. So he will only be about two months old when he hits fifty pound.

Anyway, "Gig 'em Aggies!"
(Then get out the way!)

GMC

My 2 cents, 30 years after the last time I helped in pig farming.

If you get any more, the best thing to do is talk to the guy behind the counter at your local Farmer's Co-op store or feed store. Wild pigs carry lots of worms and parasites so they'll need worming. I'm not sure what vaccinations they need these days. I'd use a band castrator instead of cutting them as you probably won't get the cut right without practice. Use hog feed instead of horse feed.

Meek, I'm pretty sure you can not band hogs. However, cutting them is pretty easy, two cuts in and about the right area. On a 60-80# hog, the family jewly are pretty easy to find, They are the two oblong baseball sized items under the skin. Honestly, I would not worry about the shots/ wormer/ etc. Of the feral hogs I have shot and eaten, I dont believe any had been to the vet. If you wanted to spend that kinda time and $ on it, next time buy from a hog farm.
~z

Back