Feedback on gun safes

Gunpowder,

Depending on where you want the safe placed (up or down stairs is a real pain) and how heavy it is, $200 or so may be quite reasonable. Mine weighs 1,000 pounds empty and it was well worth the delivery and installation fee. Be sure to pick out a spot you like for the safe in your house. If you get a big/heavy model you -won't- be moving it to redecorate.:)

Joe

Joe Klug,

Does the door on the Cannon come off. I have read that most doors come off in the unlocked position reducing the weight significantly.

Gunpowder,

No, the door on the Cannon safe will not come off. It is attached by a very large, full length "piano" style hinge designed to hold about 5 times the weight of the door. This was another selling point for me of the Cannon line.

The models that have doors that come off will tend to have the door "sag" over time requiring adjustment to the hinges to correct fit.

Joe

Concur with paying for delivery and installation as it is not worth a lifetime of medical bills, pain & suffering from moving it yourself.

Smart thieves won't attack the door as it's the strongest part of the safe. I've read at ar15.com where someone's Fort Knox (gauge steel sides) was broken into and the guns removed. The thieves used the owner's electric saw, carbide blades and cut a 6" opening from which they could remove the guns. Lesson: Safes buy you time from burglars. Don't shorten your time by making your power tools and sledgehammers readily available to them. Lock them up in a cabinet (besides, power tools, like electronic goods, are readily marketable).

Back