Federal Nyclad Ammunition

I read the same interview as LIPro, the teflon was stated to impede penetration on vests, but allowed the bullets to "stick" to a tempered glass windshield long enough for it to break without deflecting the bullet. (Just for info, I also have watched actual tests done that demonstrated that an oblique shot with a 7.62 NATO AP round at a modern windshield would shatter the glass, but the bullet would deflect and normally not penetrate into the car's cabin area. Second shots of course were easy.)

Federal does not catalog a 148 grain Nyclad wadcutter, nor has there been such a load to my knowledge for over 10 years. It is possible S&W loaded a Nyclad wadcutter, but that would be going pretty far back, and such ammo would be pretty rare AFAIK.

In .38 Special Federal catalogues the 158 grain Round Nose Nyclad (P38B), and 125 grain HP Nyclad (P38M)-- both standard pressure. They also load two +P loadings, the 158 grain SWC-HP (P38G) and 125 grain HP (P38N) loads.

For the sake of completeness, the other Nyclad loads are the 9x19mm 124 grain Ball (P9BNL) and 124 grain HP (P9BP), and .357 Magnum 158 grain SWC-HP (P357E).

:D You thoroughly refuted my post, and yet I'm still right. I love when that happens. ;) When I bought it, I thought I was getting the 158 grain SWC-HP, but the description was wrong. I don't know why Federal doesn't list it. I buy it from http://www.ammoman.com.
38-special-federal-nyclad.jpg

Okay - forget about the WHY issue.

What remains is GOOD AMMO. Nyclad WORKS.
If I had a .38 or a 9MM, I would load this stuff in it.

What I would love to see is a .45ACP Nyclad!
Why haven't they made this stuff in .45?

Y'all got me thinking of Lethal Weapon 3. Where they supposedly had that AP ammo and they shot through that plow on front of the dozer? Could even an AP 9mm do that?

In .38 Special Federal catalogues the 158 grain Round Nose Nyclad (P38B), and 125 grain HP Nyclad (P38M)-- both standard pressure. They also load two +P loadings, the 158 grain SWC-HP (P38G) and 125 grain HP (P38N) loads.
Product number for the 148 gr. WC is XMP38A.

Hey Gorthaur, notice how I left myself some wiggle room by not saying, "there's no such thing." :D

Glad you followed up with the product number: XMP38A. To me that indicates it is a special run, and if I had to take a guess, I'd say the XMP prefix stands for "exempt", as in FET-exempt, as in a run made for a law-enforcement agency.

You have educated me, and for that I'm grateful.

Back