Federal Custom Hand Loads?

Sorry Brass

This is a gift for the next thread on the dis-economy of reloading. Is there any component in the Federal Custom that is special. Are any of these bullets not forsale to the public? Does this custom ammo have some special powder?

Since two boxes of Federal once fired 300 WSM cases had loose primer pockets no more use of that brand for anything.

Addendum: The custom rounds in 257 Roberts with 110gr. Nosler bullet gives 3000 fps. The rifles specified is a unmodified Ruger Number One B with 26" barrel. This is special?:eek:

Last edited:
For non reloaders they get more bullet choices. is that what makes them "custom"? wouldn't I need to send them my rifle for them to make custom ammo for my rifle?

Rifle needed for custom ammo?

Check out the format in the Federal Custom website. A basic description of the firearm is requested. Getting desired components for cartridges is a major motivation for reloading. For the cost of five boxes of those Federal custom cartridges one could get a good start reloading.

Yep. It looks to me like the main purpose is just to make bullets available that are not already in their regular lines. If they are in those lines, they aren't on the custom lists.

In an ATK Powerpoint I ran into once, they discussed making Mk.316 mod. 0 ammo for the M24 platform with the 175-grain SMK and mentioned Federal's unique understanding of brass case making for maximum accuracy. That, and that a special order lot of IMR4064 with flash suppressant was used in it. That brass know-how obviously does not include making them for reloading life in higher-pressure rounds, but the military doesn't care about that.

Federal's match ammo has done well in Olympic 300 m International Rifle matches, so they seem to be good at working out a fairly universally accurate load. I think their custom shop mainly is just offering that quality level. Their asking about the rifle is probably partly to head off bad or poor compatibility choices, like a slow powder for a Garand load, or a bad bullet choice for the customer's rifling pitch.

Back