Federal American Eagle 357 getting stuck in 686

More elbow grease with the brush and Hoppes .

My cleaner of choice is an aggressive mix called Ed's Red Bore Cleaner , Brownell's now sells it or you can search the term Ed's Red Bore Cleaner Recipe and mix it up yourself .

Gary

For cleaning burn marks ( carbon ) from inside the cylinder Leadaway takes it out like butter . On a blued firearm it will remove the bluing , only on bare metal or stainless . For SS guns with burn marks on the face of the cylinder Leadaway removes it with no effort at all . Midway sells them .
PS: I shoot benchrest 308 and reload my own , Federal brass is thicked then most , are you only having this problem with Federal?

Chris

Last edited:
Let time and chemistry be your friend. I would put some cotton balls soaked in brake cleaner in there... OUTDOORS where there is great ventilation... and come at that with a spent casing first. Use those sharp edges to attack the crud ring before using anything like a brush.

Maybe a buddy from this chat room can send you a .357 Maximum case to use as a cleaning tool? It will reach deeper, of course.

I like the cotton ball idea, never thought of that. I have some new in bag brass that I'm going to handload some medium loads with. I'll bell one of those out and scrape it with that. See what happens. So far I've only shot Federal through it. It bugs me because I switch between 44spl and 44 mag all the time with a 429 and never have problems at all no matter how dirty that gun gets.

That American Eagle 158gn JSP is about my favorite factory 357 load. I consider it a good do anything load.
I’ve heard of guys using a 357 case to clean 38 residue. They put a light bevel edge on the case mouth.
Honestly, I never shoot 38spl in my GP100. I have a Model 10 and a Model 15 if I want to shoot that.

Last edited:
I have a newish 686+ and shoot 38 and 357 in it and have not experienced any sticking brass. The 357 loads are all my reloads and are warmish but not full bore maximum loads.

I have a 617 22lr Smithy and it does the same thing with CCI ammo, after about 20 shots the shells wont come out. Brush the cylinder and away it goes again for 20 more rounds. Rough chambers I have been told.

I had bad luck with federal American. I know i'm exaggerating, but it was like damned black powder. actually left a small cloud and I'd never had a gun get so fouled up.

Bondo,,,those are not gunk rings in your photos, just the transition to the throat of the chamber. Your cylinder looks fine. Maybe just assume an unfortunate batch of ammo and go on from there.

Get a 357 bore snake. Works.

I run my dry 40 cal rifle brush on my cordless drill (in reverse) through my 357 cylinders kinda slow, that pushes all the ick out the front plus I don't ding up the back of the cylinder with the brush going backwards :cool:

RJ

Back