Federal agents hunt for guns, one house at a time

The BATFE is just looking for people making bulk purchases. I don't think they're targeting people who buy 2-3 guns a month but rather several guns at a time. I also don't trust LE or the BATFE, and think they need to keep their noses out of people's business :mad:

--> Observations from a bystander.

I stand corrected...... he has posted polemics and an article setting forth an intepretation of the statute:p

But that doesnt change my point. There is no legal support for his argument. its hyperbole.

WildlobsittoyouAlaska ™

So the fact that they ended up on a pastor's doorstep means they were going through all FFL records and looking for specific purchases and possibly the number of purchases. So this wasn't a serial number trace back, this was searching FFL records for specific types of purchases and types of guns and then making those people suspects essentially.
When the Pastor was mentioned, my first thought was, "oh, multiple handgun report."

If an unlicensed person buys two or more handguns from the same FFL in a five-day period, the FFL has to send in Form 3310.4, which basically lists off the data from the 4473.

This doesn't constitute an audit of dealer records; this is information sent to the ATF.

So, as far as I can tell, the article describes routine law-enforcement operations. Do I want them coming to my house? No, but those laws were made before I was old enough to do anything about them, and they'll be around for quite awhile longer.

No point in shooting (metaphorically) the messenger.

I stand corrected.

It would appear that I failed to discern (from reading this one linked article) that federal agents were indeed conducting broad searches of firearms dealers records to search for gunrunners based on number or type of firearms purchased.

I'd like to thank the other participants in this thread for providing citations and additional links that clarified the extent of the problem for me.

While I find BATF actions troubling, I have difficulty believing that they are patently illegal - it would seem counterproductive for the feds to engage in activity that could result in future cases being thrown out of court due to evidence having been illegally obtained. Above all else, careers rest on successful prosecution of cases. The issue of guns crossing the Mexican border is a high-profile case for the Obama Administration, and will be subjected to significant scrutiny. Office directors are unlikely to deliberately engage in criminal activity - it would represent a poor career choice. I work for the U.S. DOE, and am aware that good intentions do not always result in rational (or legal) behavior; but I suspect that someone in DOJ/DHS has reviewed and approved BATF's plan of operations to ensure that it meets (at least) the letter of the law.

Bottom line for me remains the same. I distrust the federal government when it comes to defending my second amendment rights; however, those who are involved in strawman purchases of weapons to supply Mexican narcotics traffickers need to be stopped.

They're a threat to your future rights and mine.

(IMHO. YMMV.)

To me the issue is does it accomplish anything checking records of someone who purchased an AR or Ak seeking them out and checking the firearm when in fact I would guess most cartel weapons are obtained via the Mexican military, imported from South American countries perhaps China or other,the logistics of supplying an large organization like the cartel with heavy weapons & ammo is a much bigger picture then a few small arms on the border, this is more show for the Mexican government and for our homeland security director to appear she is doing a great job..

Back