Federal agency standard issue

crazkid,

I think Ruger has a new contract with Gov.
You can verify at WWW.Ruger.com

Go to website, click on corporate. article reads:
U.S. Army awards Sturm Ruger & Co. Inc. contract for 5,000 pistols.

Unlike the military, agencies have not decided to standardize their sidearm for their non elite agents. This is just one more piece of proof that our federal agencies do not cooperate as much as they should to maximize efficiency.

Tyme,
Do you know which parts of that list have updated? It would be an interesting project to figure it out but I fear the moment we think we're done with the list it'll change again. I do know FBI issue glocks at least with their newer agents. Who has switched to HK USPs? It used to be sig sauers dominating.

Just had a job fair on friday at my school and talked to a representative from the IRS. She said they are issued sig 229 9mm. She said they are going to be switching over to glock though soon.

I am in the process of writing a book (if I can get the girlfriend to leave me alone long enough) and was wondering what the current standard issue weapons for various federal agencies. I ask that you please speak only from experience or from information that came from a reliable sorce.

I would recommend you going directly to the source to find the information you need. It would probably not be proper to list a reference as 'Metellus and Raytracer from some online mesage board" ;)

I am not saying that anyone is wrong, but if you are writing a book to be published, a publisher would take exception to the weak reference.

Weak reference indeed! Why, I'll have you know that came straight from the hit movie "US Marshals" starring Tommy Lee Jones and Drug Addled Has-been!

Seriously, before you have to search and replace five hundred instances of "Sig P228" with "Glock 19", you might give the agency in question a phone call. Their public relations department - and they will have one, will most likely be glad to give you that kind of information. You might even be able to talk them into a visit/tour/ride-along. It never hurts to ask.

If you want to use your own made-up TLA for your story though, it looks like Sig P228 would be the most likely casting for an issue sidearm. Unless you have definite plans to sell the movie rights to your story. Then you should issue your fictional agents the Desert Eagle .50AE in Hard Chrome as a Duty pistol, and a GE Minigun for a BUG.

Good luck on your story!

US Secret Service

Current Standard Issue is Sig P229 in .357 Sig.

Approved Backups are Sig 226, 228, 229, 232, 239. Agents are also trained with the Remington 870, the UZI, and the HK MP-5.

I know a guy. ;)

Vanguard.45

Back