Federal agency standard issue

CraZkid

I am in the process of writing a book (if I can get the girlfriend to leave me alone long enough) and was wondering what the current standard issue weapons for various federal agencies. I ask that you please speak only from experience or from information that came from a reliable sorce.

Primarly Sigs and Glocks. The Agency I worked for would issue their officers Sig
220s in .45acp, 226s in 9mm and 229s in .40S&W..... You could purchase a P230 or P232 in .380 for a BUG or off duty. I carried a Sig22 and a P230 as a BUG.
The guns are agency issued thru FLETC.

Jungle Work

http://www.fletc.gov/

Not to rag on FLETC but if you go to the website

http://www.fletc.gov/

And you notice the bottom pic of the woman holding the revolver she is shooting with left hand yet has her left eye closed. Shouldn't handguns have both eyes open or at the very least left eye open for left hand?

I'll give the federal firearms instructors the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was doing advanced training where for some reason her shooting eye was damaged and she had to practice with her other eye only.

Just thought it was funny, I nothing against FLETC or our govt.

CraZkid,
I would suggest you contact each agency and ask them. I'm sure they will probably let you know if you tell them you're doing research for a book. You'll always get the best info from the source itself. BTW, what is the book going to be about?

Mete,
you gotta' remember that half of the folks at FFFFfffflllllllleeeeeeeeeetick are affermative action hires. Lots of folks never make it thru their classes and are sent packin'. At least when I went thru CIS School.

Jungle Work

"And you notice the bottom pic of the woman holding the revolver she is shooting with left hand yet has her left eye closed. Shouldn't handguns have both eyes open or at the very least left eye open for left hand? "

No, for several reasons. Some people have difficulty or find it impossible to shoot with both eyes open. As far as using the same eye as the shooting hand is way old school. Think about it. Let's say your right eye is your master eye and you are right handed. Then you have to shoot off (weak) hand. Why would you want to handicap yourself by closing your master eye? You'll also find some of the high speed teams preach not even switching to off hand unless your strong side is damaged. With practice you can shoot off side barricade using strong side. Why handicap yourself anymore than you have to in a shoot out? The teams are teaching the only time to go weak side is when you are physically incapable with your strong side.

ISP2605 said:
Why would you want to handicap yourself by closing your master eye? You'll also find some of the high speed teams preach not even switching to off hand unless your strong side is damaged.

Using the dominant side eye for the weak side shooting, wouldn't that throw off your line of sight and sight picture? You would need to hold the gun up to your face more to line up, no?

"Using the dominant side eye for the weak side shooting, wouldn't that throw off your line of sight and sight picture? You would need to hold the gun up to your face more to line up, no?"

No. How do you figure it would throw your sight picture off? You still put the front post in the rear notch whether you use dominant eye or weak eye. Additionally, if you shoot with both eyes open you will be using your dominant eye and not switching to off eye. You don't have to move the gun anywhere nearer your face. Try it.
For years the old training was when going to left hand barricade then switch the gun to left hand and aim with left eye. Once you think it thru you'll see you're handicapping yourself way too much. The theory back then was you'll expose too much by leaning out using your right side (this all assuming right side is strong side. reverse if the person is left hand strong side.) What we've found is why handicap yourself in a fire fight by switching hands, going weak side shooting, and then use your weak eye? You could be just handicapping yourself to death.

ISP2605 said:
No. How do you figure it would throw your sight picture off? You still put the front post in the rear notch whether you use dominant eye or weak eye. Additionally, if you shoot with both eyes open you will be using your dominant eye and not switching to off eye. You don't have to move the gun anywhere nearer your face. Try it.
For years the old training was when going to left hand barricade then switch the gun to left hand and aim with left eye. Once you think it thru you'll see you're handicapping yourself way too much. The theory back then was you'll expose too much by leaning out using your right side (this all assuming right side is strong side. reverse if the person is left hand strong side.) What we've found is why handicap yourself in a fire fight by switching hands, going weak side shooting, and then use your weak eye? You could be just handicapping yourself to death.

Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression for tactical shooting, you were not taking the time to line up the sites. Sight picture was achieved by only the front sight and the target. THis is why I thought it would throw everything off.

"Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression for tactical shooting, you were not taking the time to line up the sites. Sight picture was achieved by only the front sight and the target. THis is why I thought it would throw everything off."

If you got the time to do the sights then do it.
If you're just indexing off the front sight then even more reason to use your dominant/master eye.

Well, Metellus

Lots of people are right handed with a left master. Could be as simply as lefty with a right master eye. I know from personal expierience that's it's difficult to shoot with both eyes open for cross eye dominant shooters. :D

Not to be rude...

...but my original post was about federal agency standard issue; not about if someone can shoot left-handed with their right eye open! That is the problem with this forum; someone will ask a question and someone responds (good) then someone else responds to the responder on a totaly different ****ing subject! It soon degenerates into a "my opinion is better than yours and here is why...". Then it hits the "well my experience(real, imagined or straight up ****ing delusional) is better than yours" stage. Then it further degrades into sophmoric name-calling. This is sadly the bread and butter of a TFL thread!

Please, if you have something relevant to the ORIGIONAL topic, say it. If not kindly SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!

No one wants to here how smart you are,(so far I'm not impressed) they just want an answer to their questions!

Sidearms for Agents.

CraZkid,

Basically you told me to shut the hell up but I'll be nice to you. And it is not like any of us owe you anything. Since you aren't paying anyone anything you have you learn to play nice. :P

Learn some manners. You come in here and DEMAND information and get mad when you don't get it? I'm not a moderator but you just might be pissing off someone who could help you out.

To all others if you can add to the list or update information that'd be a fun project for the forum members.

===============================================

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) - Agent
Standard handgun is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228. Longarms include the 9mm H&K MP5A4SF semi-automatic carbine and the 9mm H&K MP5A5 submachine gun.

US Coast Guard - Coast Guard Officer
The Coast Guard switched from the military standard 9mm Beretta M9 (Model 92F) to the 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistol sometime in the late 1980s. Other small arms include the 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle and 12-gauge Mossberg M590 MARINER shotgun.

US Customs Service - Enforcement Branch
The officers from the Enforcement Branch pack 9mm S&W Model 6906 pistols, 9mm MP5A5 burst-fire carbines, 5.56mm Steyr AUG A1 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotguns. The .38 Special S&W Model 60 CHIEF'S SPECIAL revolver is issued as back-up weapon.

US Department of Agriculture
Adopted the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistol.

US Department of Energy - Nuclear Security Officer
These officers carry 9mm Glock 17 pistols, and a 5.56mm Colt CAR-15A2 Model 6530 semi-automatic carbine or 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

DEA - Agent
The DEA issues the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistol, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

Federal Sky Marshals
Issue sidearm is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228

FBI - Special Agent
The FBI issued .38 Special S&W Model 13 revolvers until the late 1980s. Within certain limits, agents were allowed to purchase their own semi-automatic handguns. This situation was finally seen as no longer adequate, and some 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 and 9mm S&W Model 5946 pistols were purchased in 1988. After the infamous Miami Shootout, demand for a 10mm Auto weapon arose. In 1991, the Bureau got 12,000 copies of the 10mm Auto S&W Model 1076, which was especially designed for the FBI. However, the gun turned out to be a complete failure, and it was dropped after only a very short time. In 1993 the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 became the official sidearm of the FBI. It in turn was replaced as the issue weapon by the .40 Glock 22 and 23 pistols in the late 1990s. The .40 Glock 27 was authorised as off-duty/back-up gun. Note that the new guns are issued to NEW classes of agents. Older agents are allowed to stick to the guns they already have. Since 1989, the FBI has issued 9mm H&K MP5A4SF semi-automatic carbines. This is identical to the MP5A4 submachine gun, except for the fact that it is NOT capable of auto-fire. The shotgun is the Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI, a variant of the 12-gauge Remington Model 870P.

FBI - Regional SWAT
These agents are trained by the HRT, and in the end similarily equipped. Most use a customised .45ACP Colt M1911A1 pistol, as well as 9mm H&K MP5A2, MP5A3 and MP5SD3 submachine guns, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington M40A1 sniper rifles, .50BMG McMillan Model 87 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI shotguns.

FBI - HRT
For some time, the HRT used both 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistols and .45ACP LeBaer BUREAU pistols built on Para-Ordnance frames. But in late 1998, it adopted the .45ACP Springfield BUREAU Model, a heavily customised M1911A1. This is reported to be extremely accurate, while still as reliable as all the M1911A1s. The HRT also uses the 9mm H&K MP5SD5 submachine gun, 10mm Auto H&K MP5/10A3 submachine gun, 5.56mm H&K HK33A2 assault rifle, 7.62mm H&K PSG1 sniper rifle, 7.62mm Remington M40A1 sniper rifle, .50BMG Barrett M82A1 sniper rifle and 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90102 FBI shotgun.

INS/Border Patrol - Special Agent
The issue sidearm is the .40S&W Beretta Model 96D BRIGADIER. Also carried are the 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 semi-automatic rifle and the 12-gauge Scattergun Technologies TACTICAL RESPONSE Model 90121 BORDER PATROL shotgun, a modified Remington Model 870P.

IRS - Special Agent
These carry 9mm SIG-Sauer P228 pistols.

US Marshals Service - Agent
The issue sidearm is the 9mm Glock 19.

US Marshals Service - SOG
These guys pack 9mm Glock 19, 9mm Beretta Model 92F pistols or .45ACP S&W Model 645 pistols, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine guns, 5.56mm Colt CAR-15A2 Model 723 assault carbines, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington M24 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Ithaca Model 37 shotguns.

NASA Security (at the JFK Space Center)
Armed with 9mm Glock 17 pistols and 9mm H&K MP5A3 submachine guns.

National Park Service
Issue sidearm is the 9mm H&K P7M13 pistol. Also carried is the 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 semi-automatic rifle. A shotgun is doubtless also in service.

US Naval Investigative Service (NIS) Special Agent
The standard weapon used to be the .357 Magnum Ruger GS-32N revolver, but is now the 9mm SIG-Sauer M11 (P228). Other weapons include the 9mm IMI UZI and MINI-UZI submachine guns, the 5.56mm Colt M16A1 assault rifle and 12-gauge Mossberg M590 MARINER shotgun.

Secret Service
Among the weapons issued are the .38 Special S&W Model 10 and S&W Model 19 revolvers, although the new official sidearm is the 9mm SIG-Sauer P228. Other weapons include the 9mm IMI UZI submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A1 assault rifle, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifle, 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun and the .50BMG McMillan Model 87R sniper rifle.

Local Police Sidearms

Anchorage PD
Issue sidearm is the .45ACP Glock 21.

Honolulu PD
The officers on the beat have 9mm S&W Model 5906 pistols, plus 12-gauge Benelli M3 SUPER 90 shotguns in the cars.

Kansas City PD - Tactical Response Team
The TRT members pack .40S&W S&W Model 4026 pistols, 9mm H&K MP5A5SF semi-automatic carbines, 5.56mm H&K HK93A2 semi-automatic rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Benelli M1 SUPER 90 shotguns.

LAPD - SWAT
They have Kimber TLE/II .45ACP Colt M1911A1 pistols, 9mm H&K MP5A5 submachine guns, 5.56mm CAR-15A2 (Model 723) assault carbines, 5.56mm H&K HK33K assault carbines, 7.62mm H&K PSG1 sniper rifles, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Benelli M1 SUPER 90 shotguns.

NYPD - Emergency Service Unit
The ESU have 9mm Glock 19 or 9mm Beretta Model 92D pistols, 9mm MP5A5N submachine guns, 5.56mm Ruger AC-556GF assault rifles, 7.62mm Remington M24 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Ithaca Model 37 shotguns.

Texas Department for Public Safety - The Texas Rangers
The Rangers have .357SIG SIG-Sauer P229 pistols, 5.56mm Ruger MINI-14 carbines and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotguns

Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police - Emergency Response Team
Issue the 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 pistol, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine gun, 9mm IMI UZI submachine gun, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifle, 7.62mm Remington Model 700 sniper rifle and 12-gauge Remington Model 870P shotgun.

Well after seeing the list Merellus provided (incredible!) I'd say CraZkid was right to get him pissed off!

Thank you both!

And keep up good manners.

Metellus,
Did you make up that whole thing about the Coast Guard? Currently use the Beretta 92f, within 5 years they'l e using the Sig229R DAK, they use and always have the remington 870, which has gone under a recent face-lift into a more tactical shotgun. The M-16 A2, the Browning 50cal, and the M60 are also used.

US Marshals Service - Agent
The issue sidearm is the 9mm Glock 19.

US Marshals Service - SOG
These guys pack 9mm Glock 19, 9mm Beretta Model 92F pistols or .45ACP S&W Model 645 pistols, 9mm Colt CAR-15 Model 635 submachine guns, 5.56mm Colt CAR-15A2 Model 723 assault carbines, 5.56mm Colt M16A2 burst-fire rifles, 7.62mm Remington M24 sniper rifles and 12-gauge Ithaca Model 37 shotguns.

No mention of nickle-plated sissy pistols?

joe

Mete,
Your information is a little bit off. Your listing for the National Park Service is for the US Park Police, a division of the National Park Servie which patrols National Parks in the District of Criminals and Major American Cities. In the District, an a traffic island between the different streets is a National Park. The White House
is run by the National Park Service for maintenance. While SS patrols the grounds and inside, outside is US PP.

Outside of the District and Major Cities are US National Park Service Park Rangers. There are two divisions, Interpertation (Nature Fakers, Fern Fondlers, and Tree Huggers) and the LE Rangers. The LE Rangers and Criminal Investigators are Federal LE 1811 & 0025 and have about the same jurisdiction as all Federal Agents.

National Park Ranger are issued their choice of pistols. Sig P220s, p226s, p229s. They are issued FN M16A2s and 870s in most parks. Off duty most carry their primaries or a Sig P232. In some parks S&W Model 29s and .375H&H Mags are issued, for defense against brown, Hairy folks with an attitude.

LE National Park Rangers have the best job in LE, at least at the National Recreation Areas and National Sea Shores. Look at Bikinis all day, bust a few dopers, put a few fugitives and drunks in the slammer, make a dive or two, drive your patrol boat for a while. Work a Murder every now and then. Deal with organized crime offenses and just have a pretty good time. It's hard as hell to get into the NPS as an LE Ranger. Then after 20 years, its the Sunny Beaches.

Jungle Work

I must apologize...

Last night I had more than just a little to drink and was an *******.

Though I must say that there are a lot of good questions that go unanswered due to ego-battles.

Much thanks to those that responded to my question and again I am sorry to those I offended.

As for what the book is about...I don't want to ruin the surprise! However (if it ever gets done) I will send e-copies to anyone that wants one; both as a reconcilitory measure and to have free editors!

Back