Federal .223 Rem Ammo for Deer

Target species will be

Roe deer: 2'6" at the shoulder and 35-75lb live weight
ReevesMuntjac: 1'8" at the shoulder and 20-40lb live weight
Chinese Water Deer: 18-22" at the shoulder, 20-30lb live weight

For the latter two (and smaller roe deer), I'd worry about destroying the animal in the process of killing it ..... but then again, I hunt deer in order to eat them ....

A light bullet at 3K f/sec will have you endlessly picking bullet and bone fragments out of your tiny steaks and chops .....

Scrummy,
In October of this year my daughter killed a 100pound white tailed deer using Federal Fusion 62 grain ammo. The deer was broadside at 71 yards, the round broke a rib on the way in, passed through the deer, broke another rib and stopped in the skin on the other side. The bullet was recovered, mushroomed as expected but intact in the sense that it retained virtually all it's weight. It did not shatter and spread bits of itself about. If you can get Federal Fusion Ammo over there use it. The deer my daughter shot never took another step, you should be pleased with the performance of this round on Roe Deer.

I've used Winchester 64 grain Razorback XT for the last few years for hogs and even killed a few deer when opportunity presented. Worked great for me.

Thanks for that folks. Currently using the Norma Oryx 55gr which is a good bullet, just fancy something a bit heavier

Back