Fear of pulling trigger.

This happens alot when a person had been shooting a handgun with some heft and they the buy a subcompact piece of plastic. You need to getyouself back to shooting what ever it was before you went to the Ruger maybe even check out an all steel 9mm at a range and rent one.

You may never get back to shooting a plastic gun but fortunately there are plenty of alternatives with a bit of heft to reduce felt recoil.

It's far more common with bows than with guns, but it can happen with either. It's basically an extreme form of shot anticipation.

In archery, the issue has to do with trying to make an absolutely perfect shot, more than being recoil shy since recoil isn't a big issue with bows.

If we assume that something similar is going on here then I would think that shooting something with a long DA trigger and concentrating on making a fast, but smooth and consistent trigger pull rather than trying to get the sights absolutely perfectly aligned would help.

Some people say that shooting to a spoken cadence can help with issues like this one.

Start with the gun at low ready and say "One".
Bring the gun up to the target and say "Two".
Fire the gun and simultaneously say "Three".

Keep the spacing between the spoken numbers even and don't let the spacing stretch out.

Another thing that can help is shooting at a blank piece of target paper that is far enough away that the bullet holes aren't easily visible. It helps the shooter focus on shooting technique and not get bogged down in trying to keep the sight alignment on the target absolutely perfect.

Bill DeShivs said:
Aguila-
I was once a Jung man.

th

It can be hard for new shooters (or shooters in a new genre, like going from rifles to handguns) to find the balance between not anticipating the shot (physically) but still expecting the shot (mentally).

I'd say go down the checklist each time. Okay, my stance is correct, okay my grip is light and comfortable, okay, my breathing is regulated, okay, I'm on target, okay, exhale and shoot. Make it a routine- this is what comes next, your muscle memory and brain will be on the same page and will know exactly what is coming and start to expect it. It sounds like you aren't afraid of the recoil or sound, more just dealing with natural human instincts (loud sound plus physical impact SHOULD make a person flinch and want to avoid the experience, it is a logical defense mechanism people evolved for a reason). It is just about learning a new habit and practicing it until it is the new normal for you, as opposed to something that clashes with your instincts.

Why are you asking a medical question on a gun forum? You have developed a phobia, Changing to a 22 wouldn't help, you need to talk to a professional, a mental health counselor! It could be a serious problem, you need to check it out.

Why am I over the top?? If some one posts that they are having chest pains would you recommend that they switch to a smaller caliber?? A phobia is a mental health problem that no one on this forum is qualified to give solutions. He/She needs to find the root of the problem, hell, it could date back to childhood, we don't know or have any means of knowing, for us to give medical advise is as big disservice to an member as giving legal advise. I don't believe I'm over the top, I'm very serious, if you don't understand about phobias then you need to do some research, I'm not flaming, I'm really concerned about the poster, He/She needs way more help than switching to a smaller caliber, phobias can even lead to self injury ( read between the lines ).

I'm no expert, but I would suggest the following:

1. If you've been shooting indoors, look for an outdoor range. It makes a huge difference - the noise doesn't reverberate, you're out in natural sunlight (which most people prefer), and the air is much, much better.
2. Try shooting from a rest - sitting if at all possible. It's easier to aim, you have less to think about, and you're starting from a more stable base.
3. Like others have said, a full-sized .22 (like a Buckmark or a Mark III) is probably the best place to start. I was going to actually suggest you start with a .22 rifle, but I think you said you've shot rifles without issue before.

Target Panic

This is quite normal for newer shooters. The mind does not like the noise and the recoil. You have to fool your body until it gets use to these factors.

1. Double up your hearing protection - plugs & muffs.
2. Shoot outside, not under a metal sun cover - less noise, no muzzle flash.
3. Use a shooting glove to reduce the felt recoil.
4. Shoot off a bench - support your wrist on sandbags so recoil is absorbed straight back to the rear.
5. Pull the trigger deliberately - 1,2,3 & pull. (You can work on correct TP later)

Employing these steps will place you in charge of your firearm.

Best of luck. Dan Bromley

I have to say, posts 25 and 28 are completely ridiculous. If I didn't know better, I'd think RJay was trolling us.

Being afraid of shooting is very common and there are ways to overcome it. But assuming she suffers from a serious mental condition is an overreaction.

RJay said:
A phobia is a mental health problem that no one on this forum is qualified to give solutions.
And you know this ... how? The Firing Line has tens, probably hundreds, of thousands of members. On what basis do you pronounce that there is nobody here qualified to advise someone on trigger freeze?

RJay said:
He/She needs to find the root of the problem, hell, it could date back to childhood, we don't know or have any means of knowing,
But we do have a way of knowing. She posted that she used to shoot -- a lot -- with no problems. So it's NOT something that dates back to childhood. I certainly agree that finding the cause might be helpful but, in fact, knowing the cause is not necessary to cure it.

Many years ago my ex-wife suddenly and inexplicably developed a fear of driving. She had a panic attack and had to pull over on the side of the road and have me come pick her up. It took about six months for her to work through it and get back to driving, but she never figured out what brought it on.

Last edited:
Dufus said:
I have seen it happen to other folks like this. It ain't easy to break and fear is one of the strongest emotions that humans face.

One thing is that if you are interested in kicking this thing, sign up for a gun safety course or something similar to it. I had to send a girl to one and it helped her overcome her fear of firearms.

We grew up with guns just like you say you did, and my sister is a shooting female. She is down right deadly with her Colt SAA 45.

It could very possibly be that you are shooting a handgun that is beyond your control and scaling down in caliber like the other guys have said would be a great boost. Some of these "pocket" pistols are quite hard to handle.

I am looking into classes in my area and found one specifically for women. Which will help.

Aguila Blanca

Actually what you said makes sense. I'm not into hypnosis but I like to learn things alone and work on them alone, there is no pressure from others etc. Right not I really don't have anyplace to go alone with a gun, once I attend a class I will go to ranges by us more often and probably by myself. Also thanks for your last post, speaks right up my alley!

Last edited:
Banger357 said:
It can be hard for new shooters (or shooters in a new genre, like going from rifles to handguns) to find the balance between not anticipating the shot (physically) but still expecting the shot (mentally).

I feel like this is what's happening, a rifle and handgun feel so very different to me. The only kind of handgun I've ever shot as well is a 9mm. It seems to surprise my every time, like not expecting that much movement to come out of a gun versus the rifles which I feel more control over. Thanks for the thoughts!

RJay

So I'm crazy?! bahahaha! It's not that serious of a fear case, I'm not going to be stupid with a gun. I'm a very down to earth person and will work this out. Going to be taking a class. Also, I'm really not into mental health counselors, had a bad experience with one who I think was crazy themselves!

Snyper said:
Quote:
you need to talk to a professional

Or she can ask people who actually know about the problem and how to deal with it.

Thank you Snyper! I agree with everything you are saying.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments. It has helped to see that I'm not alone and have some support! The guys in my family have been shooting since they were like 10 so me panicking is like "what's wrong with you! It's in your blood!" As if I'm letting them down and will destroy the family line, lol. I shall overcome this.

I don't think you're crazy or battling deep seeded mental demons, nor does it sound like a phobia to me. Sounds like you've got a good course of action planned out, and all the sane people around here are confident you'll work this bug out of your system in no time ;) Don't over-think it, and best of luck to you!

Back