Fear of pulling trigger.

Camolicous

Inactive
Hello all! So, I have a Ruger 9mm pistol and have been shooting "ok" for awhile but for some odd reason have really developed a fear of pulling the trigger on like anything right now. I'm comfortable around guns and holding them but pulling the trigger is like impossible. My family hunts and so guns are not an unfamiliar thing and I have shot smaller guns and have had no problem. I am thinking I will try using the .22 for awhile and then go back to my pistol. I really want to overcome this fear and wondering if anyone has any tips. I am a petite woman and in my 20's. Thanks!

Definitely go to a .22LR pistol. A decent sized one, not one of those tiny pocket pistols. In fact, I just bought a Ruger Single Six (single action) revolver to start my 12 year old daughter off on shooting handguns. I specifically chose this gun so that she would not develop a fear of handguns or pulling the trigger and would be able to get a good amount of trigger time without worrying about recoil.

Lots of shooting and practice will help with getting over your fear.

What kind of Ruger 9mm have you been shooting? If it's the LC9 (I had one) - that's a pretty small, snappy pistol - not well suited for someone just learning to shoot.

Hi Camolicious and welcome. I think you are on the right path shooting the .22 to get comfortable. I would also recommend getting some light recoil ammo like Federal Low Recoil 135 grain for your 9mm and shooting a ton of it. My wife had the same fear and anticipation of the blast and recoil. She has to go shoot at least monthly to keep it at bay. Take a couple of hundred rounds to the range with you and go as often as you can. Repetition will erase that fear.

So getting that kind of ammo doesn't make it recoil a lot? I have the kind of caps that you can dry fire with, but it hasn't seemed to help trying to do that and than going to live ammo. We don't have any .22 pistols but I might look into getting one. I have a feeling it may just be the handgun that is an issue, since it's right in front of my face verses using rifle styled guns.

Shooting a 22 is a good idea, and I'd also suggest wearing both earplugs and "muff" type hearing protection for a while

Don't worry too much about accuracy, or even shooting at a specific target and just concentrate on a proper grip and squeezing the trigger

There's a phenomenon sometimes called "trigger freeze" where your mind resists pulling the trigger until everything looks "perfect".

It's actually pretty common

Last edited:
I never thought of doing the double ear protection. I'll have to try that. I've been told that I get a white knuckle grip, which never helps! I don't get to shoot very often either, since it's warming up now in weather I may look into going regularly to an outdoor range.

You might try an airgun, especially airsoft.
Without the possible risk of hurting anyone, you might overcome the dread of pulling that trigger.
There's plenty of realistic ones that shoot very much like a .22 rimfire, with the added advantage of not having to go to a range to practice.
Just don't shoot yer eye out.
They do ricochet at times, so eye protection is a must.

I've been told that I get a white knuckle grip, which never helps!
I think that would make it worse

Just maintain a firm grip, while trying to refrain from touching anything other than the trigger with your index finger.

It's all mental, so the double hearing protection serves to isolate you from the event

Sometimes it helps to do a 3, 2, 1, FIRE type countdown until you get comfortable, and then you can go back to concentrating on a sight picture too

It's sometimes referred to as "target panic" also

You have a fear of like pulling the trigger on anything right now. That's what you said?
Anything?
That rules out rifles, pistols, .22's.
I think you are pulling our legs.
Enough, already.:confused:

What type of Ruger do you have? Some of the smaller carry guns are pretty snappy.

Once you get used to the .22 try some standard pressure 9mm rounds in the largest handgun you can find.

.38's in a large revolver are pleasant too. If you know someone who reloads you can load a .38 down pretty slow. .38 target wadcutters are pretty mild too.

I have seen it happen to other folks like this. It ain't easy to break and fear is one of the strongest emotions that humans face.

One thing is that if you are interested in kicking this thing, sign up for a gun safety course or something similar to it. I had to send a girl to one and it helped her overcome her fear of firearms.

We grew up with guns just like you say you did, and my sister is a shooting female. She is down right deadly with her Colt SAA 45.

It could very possibly be that you are shooting a handgun that is beyond your control and scaling down in caliber like the other guys have said would be a great boost. Some of these "pocket" pistols are quite hard to handle.

I'm going to jump off the deep end a bit here, but maybe some of my drivel will make sense and help. A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I had a professional practice as a clinical hypnotherapist. Hypnosis is all about the subconscious mind, so the training goes into how the subconscious mind works in some depth. I also had the opportunity to work under a Jungian-trained psychotherapist for several years, and she explained a lot about how dreams reflect what's going on in the subconscious mind. So ... on to the case at hand:

Camolicous, if I'm understanding you correctly you used to shoot a lot and you never had trigger freeze. Then one day you had it. So the fundamental question is -- where did it come from? Generally a deep-seated phobia like that doesn't just happen -- some event in your life made a strong impression on your subconscious mind, and your subconscious mind now tries to protect you from what (it thinks) will harm you if you pull the trigger.

Can you remember approximately when the fear first materialized? If you can pinpoint that, then take some time to sit down alone and in quiet, and try to remember if anything (ANYTHING!) happened shortly before that that could in any way be interpreted by the subconscious mind as a warning that shooting a gun is dangerous TO YOU. It doesn't necessarily have to be something that happened to you directly. It could have been a newspaper article you read, a news report you saw on the telly, or perhaps something you saw in a movie. It's not totally necessary to identify the causal event, but it would be helpful.

Next, I would like to suggest that you do some dry firing. Not at a range, not in the basement. Again, be alone in a quiet setting. [Edit to add: BE SURE THE GUN ISN'T LOADED! CHECK IT AGAIN.]Sit in a comfortable chair with the gun, close your eyes, and cock the gun. Take a deep breath, and as you let it out you can feel your body relaxing. Tell yourself, "I am safe. I am completely safe." Then pull the trigger. Don't do it "right." No squeeze and "surprise break." Just yank it -- make the hammer fall. Then say to your subconscious mind, "See? Nothing happened. I'm safe when I pull the trigger."

Repeat this -- many times in one session, and then repeat the session every day for a couple or three weeks. If at any point you feel your body beginning to tense up -- stop pulling. Take another breath. Let it out and feel your body relax. Repeat five times, THEN inhale, exhale, say "I am safe. I am completely safe," and just yank the trigger. "See? Nothing happened. I am safe when I pull the trigger."

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm telling her to practice horrible trigger control. Trigger control can be re-learned, but she can't improve trigger control until she's ready and able to pull the trigger without freezing.

It's possible that in the course of doing this exercise you'll remember what it was that caused the fear in the first place. If so, don't block the memory. Embrace it, and examine it carefully so the subconscious mind will understand why and how that event was different than when you want to shoot. Look for any and every aspect of whatever the event was and count up the ways in which your shooting today does NOT relate to that incident.

End of lecture. make any sense?

Last edited:
I would also suggest you use VERY good earmuffs. Many times, flinching and issues similar to yours are from a fear of the noise in anticipation of recoil, so combining with a mild recoiling and low noise gun like a 22 rifle is a great way to start.

I wonder what is the cause of this fear? Probably important to know if it's from recoil, noise, or fear of shooting someone or something.

I shot for a few years until one day at the range the guy next to me was shooting a short barreled .44 magnum. I developed a flinch of my own just from hearing his gun going off.

I still have a bit of a flinch but have been able to work through it by wearing ear plugs AND ear muffs.

I hope you're able to get through this because shooting should be fun at the range!

Back