Favorite Woods Gun(s)??

While big game hunting, even in griz country, I never carry a handgun. A high power rifle is devastating.

When fishing in black bear habitat, a GP 100 loaded with 180 grain .357 Mag ammo. But I'd also be good with a 1911A1 with 9 230 grain ball rounds.

If I'm hunting I carry a rifle or shotgun.
If just out scouting or fishing in area,
I carry based on the expected possible worst case threat.

Which around here is mostly a revolver w/ shot for poisonous snakes
I don't go after them, but if me or someone is bit;
I ain't getting bit twice trying to kill a snake for emergency room ID.

If threat possibly has tusks, teeth and or claws,
I'll carry a light iron sight "bubbized" No.4 Mk1*.

If threat is bigger with tucks, teeth, claws and stomping power,
I'll carry a light iron sight DG stopping rifle.

Yet, in the many years I've carried,
I've only had to use pistol once on a snake and
a the rifle once to clear hogs out of my duck blind.

Last edited:
Good Morning, Art Eatman,

Exceptionally cogent and written with much wisdom.

Some posters on most of these boards give me the impression that they can't wait to kill another. Of course, these forum commandos want to rely upon justification that their lives were endanger while praying that the other guys ain't armed.

The wise know that it's far better idea to walk away than engage.

Leaving before a confrontation escalates will keep a lot of people alive.

Cops have to engage. That's part of their job descriptions. The rest of us can walk away if possible.

Besides, I've got too many more fish to catch to allow my body to become evidence and autopsied before God intends.

Stay safe, hombre

Good Morning, Ray,

I've had to clear a hog or two outta my bed in mornings after too much tequila during the nights before, but I've never allowed a single hog near my duck blind. I ain't about to allow a bed hog to frighten away circling ducks ;-)

I subscribe to John Tappin's "perfect packin pistol" theory and as such have literally dozens of choices for packing in the woods from 22 to 480 Ruger.
Hard to beat a 3" 357 or 44 special, but I feel pretty ok with my 38 super commander loaded with 150gr SWC @ 1150.

SansSouci
Good Morning, Ray,

I've had to clear a hog or two outta my bed in mornings after too much tequila during the nights before, but I've never allowed a single hog near my duck blind. I ain't about to allow a bed hog to frighten away circling ducks ;-)

Sans,

That blind is out in a brackish water marsh. It was the on the only small piece dry land within a mile any way. We took the air boat out in the dark early enough to get set-up. Road up on 6-8 hogs that had bedded in and beside that blind. They went crazy! Caught us purely by surprise. We didn't have guns loaded or anything. Spotted'em with a light and chased'em off with the boat.

Next day, I brought my rifle - they were in there again.
Got 2 of'em. They never came back again.
The early am commotion and shooting didn't seem to bother the ducks.
They were coming down the river and turning into our set-up both mornings.
So we got pork-n-ducks that weekend.

This...

904bd3b14e8a21289eec0b1317fe2a7c.jpg

In a Triple K Western rig.

Easy on and off. Reliable and when I am running our different fields/woods I am generally on a quad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In the days when I got out regularly, it was invariably either a 4" S&W Model 19 or a snubnose .38 of some kind.

A few times I did stick my I-frame .32 Long Regulation Police into an Uncle Mike's holster...

Springfield V16 shooting 45 Super Buffalo Bore

Those Buffalo Bore specs are pretty impressive!! My .44Mag carries 265gr that I loaded to about 1100-1150fps. Those auto rounds aren't far behind!! :cool:

As for the .50Bmg Deagle: the only, and I say only, disadvantage to that gun that I can think of is that you'd also need to carry a trained Orangutang with you as the only animal with opposable thumbs whose grips would be big enough. Other than that... good to go!! :D

In years past it was a 4" S&W M-28. When I lived in the high desert some decades back it was a S&W M-60 as a supplement to a Mini-14 (yeah, I know, not a handgun). When I lived in the woods a decade or so ago, it was a S&W 625 Mountain Gun. Any more, my disabilities keep me out of the woods. Sad state of affairs...

I'll carry most any thing but generally it's my USFA 45 colt. It's accurate enough for small game and large enough to give me the warm glowing feeling. :p Besides I'm the most dangerous thing in the woods!:)

Nice work Oliver, I take a few grouse every once in awhile with my carry guns, usually in 45 Colt or 45acp. I think their even tastier when you can remove the head with a handgun.

I am in the wet part of Washington state. For my hiking, biking, or snowshoeing, size and weight generally matters. So my typical woods carry is my SP-101 2.25 inch loaded up with a 180 grain jacketed SWC. I worry more about two-legged threats than I do the cougars or black bears, none of which I have ever seen up close in 50 years of outdoor activities, although I have seen them from a distance or fresh tracks.

The week they release the Ruger LCRx in .357 with a three inch barrel, I will snap one up and that will be the new woods gun.

During my teen years my woods gun was a stainless Ruger MKII, then I graduated to a 3'' Taurus model 65 .357 mag. Now I pretty much always grab my 4 5/8'' Ruger Single Seven.

Back