Favorite Sniper Rifles

Ok I can play the military designation game and also want to show a photo!

L96A1 Well, the same but different.. the "P" version shown is listed as more accruate then the standard AW... opps... L96A1. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 01, 2000).]

TABING: Is your Finnish M39 scoped or is it just one of those ordinary legendary straight shooting Finnish rifles? I understand that the unscoped Finnish M39 was required to shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 meters. I just finished reading Rifles of White Death and was impressed.

4V50Gary

Right now it's unscoped and I hesitate to put one on unless I can find something authentic for it. I got it in unissued condition, still had the armourers tag on it, so I don't want to do anything that's not like an original Finn or Russian military rig.

Straight out of the box without any smith work, I'd opt for either an Accuracy International AWP or a Blaser 93 Tactical.

Gunny, I like your style but I don't have one of those. Your Sharps should be great to 300 if your eyes are better than mine!
Hank
"Eyeballing .58 cal Zouave"

I have no doubt in my mind that each and every rifle listed here is a good choice for that particular person. My choice would be my customized, accurized 4 groove 03A3 Springfield and here are the reasons why.

1. It said ''sniper rifle" not assault rifle therefore accuracy should be paramount, not rate of fire.

2. If the world has gone to that provebial "hot place" in a handbasket 30-06 ammo is still much easier to get ones hands on than any other besides possibly .22 rimfire or shotgun shells. Being 30-06 in caliber there is an assortment of specialty ammo avalible, such as Caliber 30 M2 Ball, Caliber 30 M2 AP, Caliber 30 API M14, and lastly (for a sniper, God forbid, it traces BOTH ways) Caliber 30 Tracer M25 or M1.

3. Being a caliber 30 it has some "punch" when being used at extremely long ranges, and less affected by wind drift than any thing that can be cooked up in 5.56MM. (a 22 is still a 22)

4. If I find some .308 (7.62 NATO) and have some 06 brass I can with pliers and a nail or ice pick (don't try this at home :D) make 06 ammo. It may not be the most powerful or accurate but it damn sure will shoot! ( I have also seen 7.62 ball fired SUCESSFULY in a M1 Garand, the cases come out looking like a 45-70 case ;), and accuracy was horrible but it did shoot.............no I did have the moxie to shoot it........I just watched from a safe distance :D)

5. This particular rifle will shoot into 1/2" to 3/4" all day long with either Sierra 168 grain International or 190 grain Match kings or US .30 caliber match M72 ammo.

6. The Springfield is "overbuilt" and not likely to break, it has very few "small parts" and lastly if any parts did break most of this breakage would still not stop it from being able to be fired, and repairs would most likely be simple.

If it were a sniper rifle that was being refered to in a "normal" and not survival type of suituation then a Remington M-700 in .308 with a parkerized finish, with a 3-9 Redfield scope will suffice nicely, after all it did pretty damn good service for the USMC Snipers in the Nam.

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 02, 2000).]

.308 Blaser....OOOH yeah...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Gotta side with what Schmit first said - us civilians don't own "sniper" rifles.

Besides, 'Sniper' is a dirty word. It refers to someone that hides, sneaks around in the night and in the boonies. A 'sniper' doesn't show himself (or herself - my one and only consession to PC!) to take his shot. Snipers are dry-gulchers, lowdown, bellydragging, backshooting scoundrels who aren't man enough to fight face to face. Personaly, I can't think of another group of shooters that I'd rather associate with!... Wasn't it Ben Franklin that said... "He who fights and runs away will live to fight another day!?" 'Snipes' could be substituted with 'fights' here.

But also taking a cue from Dr. Rob, I would prefer my 788 in 308Win. Good field craft is always more desired then long range capability, so need for a 1000yard+ weapon isn't paramount here. The 308 will do just fine!

Unkel Gilbey

I'd love to have one of the beautiful heavy barrel muzzleloading bench rifles like those used by some snipers in the civil war. Say about 2" across the flats, 36" barrel around 60 caliber. Since I'm dreaming I might as well add a full length brass telescopic sight and a case full of accesories. What can I say, I love history. :)

A C. Sharps Creedmore in .45x120 with vernier tang rear and globe front. Didn't anybody else watch "Quigley Down Under"?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Didn't anybody else watch "Quigley Down Under"?[/quote]

Once a month for 3 years (much to my wife's displeasure after the first 6 months)while waiting on my Shiloh Sharps, 45-110, Globe Front w/inserts, semi-buckhorn rear, Long Range Tang w/windage, Pewter Foretip, Hartford Collar, Cheek Rest Accent Line, Steel Buttplate, #1 Heavy Octogon Bbl, Pewter Foretip, Semi-Fancy Black Walnut Shotgun Stock. :D :D :D :D

Basically a "Quigley" model with out the initials, patch box (kicking myself in the @ss for not getting that) and with a shotgun stock vice military. And all for a little over $1K less. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Said I never had much use for em... never said I didn't know how to use em![/quote]

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 05, 2000).]

Hi! New menber here, with my .02 worth- I
hava a rem mod 600 mohawk bought used that "wouldn't shoot" . re-mounted the same
mount and put a widefield scope on it and
with rem hpbt match it will stay in about
1 1/4" which doesn't sound like much, but
that's with my old eyes behind the scope.
I have GOT to practice more!!! Especially,
since I have a maadi-griffin 50 on order.
another vote for " precision rifle "
crankshaft

Minority of one here. Can't complain about the Sako A-II action w. fluted barrel. Grendel SRT is TOP NOTCH. Oh, don't forget the Shepherd P-3 scope to complete the package.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juan Hunt Greer:
Hi! New menber here, with my .02 worth.
crankshaft
[/quote]

Crankshaft,

Welcome to TFL. Free free to drop your $.02 anywhere ya want. We expect all members to do this... TFL is trying to save up for a Jet. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Back