Favorite Sniper Rifles

HKMP5SD6

What's yours? Mine would be the HK PSG-1.......this semi-auto puts 50 rounds of ammo into a 8 cm circle at 300 meters. For something more powerful, I'd probably go with the Barrett Light 50. Can kill Godzilla with one round.

[This message has been edited by HKMP5SD6 (edited March 29, 2000).]

I like the Steyr SSG; it can lay 'em in there too, but out to much longer ranges than 300m.

Just one question: what's the practical need for putting 50 rounds into the same spot? If the first one doesn't do the job, you either aren't aiming at the right thing, or need a heavier caliber.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Mine would be a Springfield M21. I will group one shot at .308 dia. at 600 yds. Most folks here know I'm a little biased about my M21. There is more to the story but I wouldn't want to bore you.
Best regards

Aw, I'd just use my ol' thutty ought six that I been usin' for some 30 years, now. I've snap-shot the butt out of a turkey at 100 yards; I've killed runnin' deer at 200, and standing deer at 350 and 450. I can hit a 22" plate in the middle at 500.

Why am I supposed to want something different? I can pretty well guarantee that I'll see you before you see me--and that's all I care about...

It's just a dang ol' bolt-action, with some kinda scope on it.

smile.gif
, Art

HankL, no really please bore us. Stories about a favorite gun are always enjoyable.
smile.gif

For a sniper gun I'm currently leaning toward getting a medium weight, 21 inch matte stainless barreled, DS Arms Fal, with their heavy scope mount. Not too heavy, not too light, lots of bullets (if there happen to be a lot of targets that need shooting for example).

Scope, I'm not sure about, I have to admit that I've never hunted with a scope, and don't know very much about them.

Well to date the only one I've been able to afford is a Rem 700 PSS, in .308. Tommorrow (thursday), will be the first time I've ever shot this gun. Just installed my one piece Leupold base, rings, and scope today(sorry fellas, I went with the Nikon). Had the gun since Dec.. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
smile.gif

Just sold off my Springfield M1A and my Remington 40XB-R in 308 with Leupold VariX 3 scope. Have an old Lyman Alaskan in the garage somewhere I'll dig out and mount on my NM Garand one of these days. In the meantime I'll practice with my CZ bolt action 223.

People, people, people. Civilians do not own Sniper Rifles. Snipers are an offensive weapon that are used in the military. Law Enforcement has Counter-Sniper rifles which are used in a defensive roll. Us civilians only have lowly precision rifles used for target shooting!
tongue.gif

My Precision Rifle is an Accruacy International AWP in .308 topped off with a Leupold Mark 4 M-1 w/mildot. While this same rifle is used by some militaries as their sniper rifle, mine is just a precision rifle capable of < .5MOA (better if I do my part right).

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I had a Savage 110FP that would group five in 1/4" at 100 yds. Got stupid and sold it. Right now I'm looking into purchasing a Nor-Cal Precision Night Hawk, a Robar SR90 "snubbie urban" or a McMillan Bros custom "Police Tactical Sharpshooter Rifle"(
wink.gif
) to take to Counter Sniper school and to use on duty.

Right now, I am leaning toward McMillan, mainly because of customer service. Ron Fuchs at McMillan, if you are reading this, thank you for your time. So far I've heard nothing but positive comments regarding McMillan and their products and service.

I can't get Robar's phone number to work and I'm still waiting for a reply to my e-mail to
Jerry Rice at Nor-Cal.

BTW, if anyone here owns, or knows anyone who owns a rifle made by either of these three 'smiths, please share your experiences and opinions based on shooting them.

------------------
Cover your six...

R6

[This message has been edited by Rainbow Six (edited March 30, 2000).]

My "precision rifle" is a dead stock Rem700 PSS .308 w/trigger set for 2.5 lb break, and the barrel channel in the stock opened up for a 1/8" clearance all around, topped with a Leupold Vari-X 3.5-10X40 LR M3 Mil-dot in Badger Ordnance mounts.

I've only been able to fire it up to 300m. My best 3 shot 300m group was .995" c-to-c, average is about 1 3/8" at 300m. That is all factory Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match.

Everybody at the range looks at me kinda funny when open my big OD green Starlight case and bring out my "precision rifle" that is completely painted in camoflage, why is that?
wink.gif

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

[This message has been edited by Rex Feral (edited March 31, 2000).]

My favorite is almost anything on a 700 action, quality barrel, stock and optics. Mine is a .308 PSS, lightly tuned by the Iron Brigade Armory, topped with a 3.5x10 mil dot Leupold Tactical, completely camo'd. Shoots a half minute with Federal 168 Match, out of a factory barrel. But my other choice, an M40 or a Chandler.

The one I built, With the GAWDAWFUL KICKBUTT NIGHTFORCE SCOPE on it. A VZ24 action, #7 Shilen barrel (26"), Canadian M82 stock (bedded with Marine-Tex), and the scope of the gods, the Nightforce 3.5-15X56mm. Set up in .308 with a 1-in-10 twist, it ALWAYS shoots under .4in@100yards, and holds through. and POI cold is the same as warm. OOOHHH YEAH!!!!

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.

Art I'm with you.... use the rifle you USE. savage 116fsak 30-06 with a tasco 3x9x40 (ok so it isn't mil-dot but i've never been to sniper school either) Guess I'd have to paint it brown or something. I'm good to 320 yards with it for a single shot kill (which is NOT far enough away to be an effective army sniper... but adequte for deer and antelope)

I've seen some old timers make 200 yard shots with iron sighted rifles that dont "have" much for sights. Work on improving the shooter first, the weapon second.

As fas as "favorites" go...

Ask all sides in the Balkans about the effectiveness of the 8mm CZ or Yugo Mauser.

Springfield 1903-A5

Model 70 Winchester 30-06 bedded action, heavy barrel Unertl scope (ask Carlos Hathcock)

Dr.Rob

Gunny, We've got to call the M21 a sniper rifle because that's what the dadgummed Army called it! The question was "favorite sniper rifle". My M21 with ART II 3x9 just happens to be my favorite. If the TRW barrel ever goes and is replaced it will become a precision rifle. I will enshrine it first! After that I will fall back on something else in the inventory. McGowan 27" heavy on Win. 70 in 7x61 S&H is awesome but is near crew served
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
?

I'm with 45King here; my "precision sniper rifle" is the Steyr SSG PIIK. With a Swarovski 3-10x42 scope this rifle will easily shoot 1/2 MOA with my handloads. BTW, I have the double set trigger on this rifle, and from the bench it is a sweet option to have.

Finnish Mosin-Nagant 39 (7.62X54R). with 1970s vintage Sako barrel.
A man stops a New Yorker on the street and asks, "How do you get to Carnagie Hall?"
The New Yorker answers: "Practice, practice, practice!"

Back