favorite shotgun from before this decade

Remington model 17 - 20 ga. pump .

SWEET !!!

Sweet to carry , sweet handling and sweet shooting ...
... and that's all I have to say about that !
Gary

Ithaca Model 37. Mine is from 1946, 12 gauge.

The old pump guns are Model 12, Wingmaster, and Ithaca... and the fellas that have them may bicker about which is best but they are all very very nice. They have souls, just like a nice old double barrel.

My Rem model 31 is a great pump gun. I rate it right up there with the Wingmaster. The Rem model 10 is a over engineered nightmare - at least for me. Way too many moving parts, but in old photographs I see many on the trap line. Back in the day I guess they were well thought of. The model 10 pump and model 11 auto were the reasons Remington quit making SxSs. They were cheaper to produce and many seemed to be wanting them more than a double.

Winchester Model 12 (made in the 1920s) and my Grandfather's Ithaca SxS bought new in 1909.

also, any Rem 870 made before they began using plastic parts (other than the buttplate)

FavoFav

My 11-87 Left Hand. Had it Cerakoted, bought an extra barrel with rifle sights, and put a Boyd's Thumbhole stock for a short-range hog MOLESTER!!!

All of my shotguns are 40 years to over a hundred years old. I guess my favorite is my J.P. Sauer 12 ga side by side. it's taken a lot of pheasant and quail over the years. As far as autos go, it hands down one of Browning A5's.

Another favorite of mine was made in 1898, it's a Charles Lancaster 12ga side by side. I love to take it dove hunting, and sit there and remember that more than likely, the first owner of this old British gun, (I think it says made in London on it), was probably shooting driven pheasant with it, before or slightly after Teddy Roosevelt made his famous charge up San Juan hill.

Last edited:
Browning BSS 12 gauge, hunted all over this great land with it. Tune your ammo to match the game. Young guys always gather round after "Ole Thunder" brings down another double.

Back