favorite rifle for soda can evisceration

campbellsCondensed-Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Soup1.jpg

Saw this in the grocery store today and bought it just for the range.

I prefer to shoot fruit, vegetables, or charcoal briquets - biodegradable.

But pretty much any chambering going over 2500 fps can be explosive. Potatoes with .270 was funny; nothing left.

Can't wait to shoot some fruit with the .17 Hornet.

Last edited:
Emcon5, I'm a little dismayed at the fate of the PBR in your video. I'm emotionally scarred by the waste of beer and more than a little impressed by the spectacular performance demonstrated by your video. :D

Not sure what to feel?

My OP was intended for empty cans. Its easy to blow up any full can.

Blown up full beer cans are grounds for penalty of sending OP a replacement full can of beer.

Blown up full beer cans are grounds for penalty of sending OP a replacement full can of beer.

Well, to be fair, it was Pabst. It is barely beer, and use as reactive targets is really the only thing it is good for.

Soda cans? You mean pop cans?
Did a firepower demo for my Cadets, one time. Used 48 oz cans of tomato juice at about 10 yards. .223, .30-06, .45 and I forget what else. NOTHING was as impressive as a 12 ga. slug. Saw the can lid go up and over the 50 plus foot back stop during the recoil.

220 swift 40gr vmax at 4500 fps.

Also when used on old warm left over full beer cans it can be used to make it rain beer for some time.

Y'all realize bullet performance vs. a full can vs. an empty can is not the same, right?

You realize you didn't mention empty in your first post, right? :rolleyes:

You want to rip up empty cans, you need bigger bore. 12 Gauge slugs should work.

The faster the better. .22 cals like the 22-250, .222, .223 are going to work wonders.
.30cal and larger will certainly work but IMO they are best reserved for larger more aggressive targets like 5gal water cooler jugs. I like to use my 460xvr in that case or a good old fashioned 30-06 with 165sp ammo.

FYI- if you can find seltzer water rather than soda your range wont be sticky and covered with bees.

Full can - Mosin M44

Empty can - 12 ga, but that isn't a rifle, So I'll go back to my Mosin, If I am shooting at a can, why pay $1/shot, when I can shoot mil-surp for $0.19/shot? Unless it's at 300 + yards, then I'll go with the 700 BDL in 30-06 with a 165 gr sp.

There are many options, and some spectacular results to be had from several. But...

The all-time favorite is my Marlin 882SS (.22 WMR), using Winchester Supreme 34 gr HPs.

Absolutely breath-taking.

What's the deal with 22 magnum not being available?

I've owned a .220 Swift. I still own multiple .223s and a .243. ...Plus many other larger calibers.

For me, my favorite "tinsel maker" is still the .22 WMR Marlin with Winchester Supreme HPs. (I usually buy the 34 (36?) gr version, but the 30 gr load is just as destructive.)

A close second would probably be Speer 100 gr "Bucket Mouth" HPs in .270 Winchester, at 3,400 fps. That load does beautiful things with potatoes, soda cans, squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, mud, and pretty much anything else that can splatter, explode, or paint pretty pictures. ;)
It blows even most of my .220 Swift .243 Win loads out of the water, as far as destruction and "red mist"-factor.

What's the deal with 22 magnum not being available?
People got tired of seeing .22 WMR on store shelves, but no .22 LR.
So, they bought .22 'magnum' rifles or dug the old .22 WMR cylinder out of storage for their Single-Six, and started tearing into the .22 WMR ammo.

.22 WRF was the next to get attention.

(I buy my preferred.22 WMR load by the 'brick' (500 rounds) when it's priced right, so it hasn't really impacted my shooting. A box of the Win Supreme HPs lasts me about 5 years, since that's a 'specialty' load in my rifle.)

Last edited:
I shot a can once with a 243 Ruger #1. At 50 feet I thought I was missing after 3 rounds and the can never moved. Walked up and saw 3 entrance holes and 3 exit holes. Never saw the can so much as wiggle.

My favorite plinking rifle is not one that generally comes to mind for such use. I love shooting my FAL. Took it out to the desert a few times for long range plinking and it's a blast.

Back