favorite rifle for soda can evisceration

kcub

Not just poke two holes, make it ready for open heart surgery or blow the end clean off.

What's yours?

Mine is Henry big bore right now.

22-250. You will be lucky to find anything to put back together. The top of the can will be sailing, the sides wi l be ripped to bits, and the bottom will be buried.

I like my .45-70 with low power cast bullet loads for this at 50 to 75 yards. The destruction is amazing and I'm close enough to enjoy the view...

Tony

I often wonder how bullet shape or design must affect pop can performance.

For whatever reason, my Uberti 1873 clone in 357 mag, shooting Lyman's 160 grain RNFP bullet makes 'em jump to amazing, near earth orbit, altitudes.

I know a 308 carries far more energy, but it doesn't kick range debris or soda cans in the pants seemingly as hard. :confused: As a plinker, I don't think I own anything quite as much fun to shoot. That buckhorn sight, and the balance of the piece, the smooth quick action, all combine to give a very satisfying performance.

Yeah, my 44 mag Henry did things to cans I'd never seen before. Opened up along the side like the hood of a car. If you hit the can near the top end the entire top is sheared clean off as it was separately capped on.

Some were blasted high in the sky clean over the top of the berm but I've seen that with 357 in a Python and 454 Casull revolvers before.

Full shook up cans is cheating but fun. Sometimes I'll try a new diet soda and I'll think damn that tastes like crap. But then I'll realize I have an odd lot of great targets now to go blow up.

A 45/70 is perfect for taking apart a pallet. And you just keep creating smaller wood targets until you have a scattered pile of toothpicks.

How does regular factory 30-30 work? I was eyeing a 30-30 Henry with a ghost ring peep.

For posterity the 44 mag ammo I used recently in my 20" Henry that kicked cans asses was MagTech 240 grain FMC-FLAT B01107 L-51.

I had so much fun I traded for another Henry big boy 20" yesterday this time steel instead of brass and in 357 mag. I have a box of 50 Monarch 158 semi-jacketed hollow points and anxiously await the range mud to dry out. I best get to drinking some soda.

Also I've got a tin soup can, sturdier than the aluminum soda cans, can't wait to see how that blows up.

There are many options, and some spectacular results to be had from several. But...

The all-time favorite is my Marlin 882SS (.22 WMR), using Winchester Supreme 34 gr HPs.

Absolutely breath-taking. :eek:

Good to know, I'll break out my Winchester 9422m XTR 22 magnum and give it a try...

By the way for those that don't know you can shoot .22 WRF in a .22 magnum revolver or lever gun. It's an old round but there are current runs of it from time to time from CCI and Winchester. What it affords is slightly better than .22 long rifle performance though not as cheap. But if you are hunting something small to eat like rabbits, squirrel, or birds with a 22 mag lever or revolver it won't blow it to smithereens leaving no meat if you use 22 WRF (assuming you use flat points or solids, not hollow points).

This becomes a hydrostatic transfer of energy problem. Rifle wise a .50 BMG causes massive energy transfer ~10K+ ft-lbs to the can and hence shreds the pieces and sprays the liquid nicely.

As the OP requested, a .50 at least opens the top, sides and bottom.

Other rifles make a nice spray but typically are 20% or less energetic than a .50 BMG.

The .22WRF is a fun round both for plinking cans/plastic water bottles…. also for long distance [300yard] gong ringing…. still use my 1890 for this regularly.

My favorite is the .22 hornet.

My PTR-91 GI makes short work of soda cans and 2 liters:

image.jpg

Actually, it makes short work of just about anything. :cool:

Back