Favorite Personal Defense Ammo?

What you feed it depends on what your pistol likes. My Walther P99 likes Hornady Custom 115gr XTP's. So, that is what I carry in it.
Now, my Ruger P95 likes Speer Gold Dot 124gr hollow points. That is what I feed it. The point is, test a variety of ammo in your gun to find what works the best,and then stick with it. :) :)

I have tried the Federal Personal Defense loads in .38 Spl. and .357 Mag. and was not impressed. Their muzzle flash was horrendous and their recoil not noticably less than serious ammo. The ammo I am currently relying on for defensive purposes is as follows:

.38 Spl--Federal 125 gr. Nyclad HP standard velocity (# P38M). The "Chief's Special" load for use in S&W Airweights. I have tried practically all of the 125-130 gr. +P loads and haven't been satisfied with any of them--they all had too much flash. I will be trying some of the famed 158 gr. LSWCHP+P loads in my steel framed S&W M-10 (these are hard to find in my area for some reason).

.357 Mag.--Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip HP (# X357SHP). Much less flash than any 125-130 gr. magnum load. Recoil comparable to full power 125 gr. JHP. I tried the medium-velocity loads and the reduction in recoil is insignificant. Use the full power stuff or use .38 +P.

9mm--Either Winchester 115 gr. Silvertip HP (# X9MMSHP) or Federal 115 gr. "9BP" JHP. My S&W 6906 does not like +P ammo. I may try the 124 gr. Federal Nyclad or the Speer Gold Dot in the same weight.

12 gauge--Winchester Low Recoil 00 Buck (#XB1200LR). I like the Federal Tactical load (#H132) almost as much but it has a little more muzzle flash.

There's no ineffective ammo in 45 ACP, so I use what groups best in my weapon and gives 100& reliability. Current pet likes Silvertips.

It gets mo' complicated with medium caliber stuff. Since I have lots of my old duty load around for 38s, I use that,Winchester JHP 110gr +P+ or +P. However, out of snub bbls, there's an impressive fireball that might cook anyone I miss up close.

Airweight/alloy frame 38s get target WCs. I did some wet newspaper testing years ago and got darn near the same expansion with them and only a couple of inches less penetration than the FBI load. Good load for folks that don't shoot as often as we, like our wives and daughters. That soft lead, full diameter, slug does better than the Magnumistas will admit...

For my 45's i use "Top Notch" Brand ammo, [Golden Saber] slugs, 185 grainers in a +p loading. 1125fps, 525@fpe. Never had any problems with this ammo shot thru = Para P-14,"limited" H&Kusp, S&W 457. Have had to put down many deer with this round from car vs. deer accidents. Dropped one at @ 70 yards with a neck shot with this ammo out of my H&K,looked like a bolt of lighting had hit it!!! My current duty weapon is a Glock model 20, in 10mm. Winchester 175 grain silvertips [1300fps, 649@fpe] are my choice here. What a great caliber! Have yet to put down any deer with this weapon and ammo but i have no doubt it will handel it with ease.

For my S&W 9mm I use Triton 115 or 125gr. +P JHP. I ahven't settled on a load for my Glock Model 22 yet.

Personally, I like 165gr Remington Golden Sabers for .40S&W self-defense... a good modern bullet with 485 foot-pounds of energy and the same momentum as a heavy .45ACP is nothing to sneeze at! Produces a serious BOOOM, too, a real basso profundo. :-)

----------
CastleBravo

1911 = = 230 grain Solden Sabers
S&W M-66 = = Federal 125 JHP's
BHP = = nothing, don't use 9m/m for defense
S&W M-36 = = About anybody's 125 grain "FBI" load

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Actually for my .40 I was looking at Tritons Hi-Vel or Quick Shok, 155gr. bullet at 1250 fps. with 538 ft. lbs. of energy. Thats a serious load there, but then again I would want to get shot by anything. But that load certainly looks good.

Ok George I take it back, no rolled up newspaper was intended.

But does that mean the much vaunted marketing guys at hornady know more about what we should be using than we do?? ;)

I guess you could CALL bad Guys "varmints" like they do in by-god West Virginia and therefore justify your use of this round, but I'd like to read up on how a bullet that's supposed to vaporize a prarie dog on contact can also go through glass, car doors, wall boards, etc. Or is the point that it DOESn't do those things?? Just curious.

Dr.Rob

Newbie on the `Line', my picks
45, Golden Sabre 230
40.SW Silvertip 155; Dept issue
9 para Federal 115 9BPLE if you can, if not 9BP most accurate I have ever used
.357 mag Federal 125 jhp
.38 spec Federal 158 lswchp +p
357 sig Corbon 115 (they scream out from my G33 ankle gun)
Just my thoughts and what works for me, SPG

Back