Favorite Personal Defense Ammo?

Piggy

Hey fellas. I've been using federal's line of personal defense hydra-shoks in my .38 and .45's. Since i got a .40 cal. Sig, I've been rethinking my loyalty to Federal. Ballistically, Winchester silvertips (155 gr) appear superior to the Federals. However, I still believe Federal makes the prettiest looking ammo around. Anyway, what are some of your favorite brands for self defense ammo? Just curious what others are carrying. Anyone who uses Proload, Triton, Corbon etc. please relay your opinions/experiences.

In 40sw I like the Remington 165gr. Golden Saber. It seems to me to be a good comprimise between the light pentrating 135's and the deep driving 180's. In the summer I do use the Cor-Bon 135 though.

I have Federal Hydro-shoks in my .38 Spl, but in my Sig 9mm, I use Triton Quikshoks. I like the fact that they fragment into three pieces. (I actually would have gotten Triton's for my Detective's Spl, but I didn't want to wait for them to be ordered).

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

WARNING the following contains GRAPHIC descriptions of bullet trauma on wild game. :(

I like hydra shocks, but SOME 1911's need the feed ramp polished to feed them reliably.

I've used hyrda shocks (im 380 and 45) as a finishing gun on antelope/deer/elk for years. Results are devastsing and if you are squeaminsh don't read on.

The 380 cartridge is pretty destructive but doesn't penetrate well when it hits heavy bone, this will stop penetration at a few inches and ruin a lot of muscle tissue (meat). However, if NOT encountering heavy bone penetration seems to be 6-8 inches and the bullet will expand to the size of a penny (but WILL seperate and fragment , not retaining its mass). All animals killed/finished with a .380 were pronghorn antelope.

The 230 grain 45 hydra shock is a bone breaker. and those times where I've shot an animal in the head the 45 fractures the skull into large pieces (you can tell when you pick the animal up to move it) and it will literally bulge/knock the eyes out of their sockets, the 45 shell DOES not appear to expand on head shots and exits cleanly. On a body shot the round opens nicely and penetrates completely THROUGH the body on a broadside shot, expanding to 55 caliber or more.

I've also shot silver tips in my 45, but not at game.

In 9mm I got a deal on 115 gr PMC/Eldorado star-fire ammo a few years ago and have used that in the field on a deer, as well as a 115 grain silver tip. The silver tip did FAR more damage (on the surface creating more bloodshot meat) but the jacket seperated immediately (something i don't like), while going through a rib, then perforated a lung, nicked the heart and stopped in the sternum. penetration was around 7 inches. The starfire penetrated deeper and was about 40 cal in diameter when I found the slug, which had gone through a rib, the liver and one lung to lodge underneath the scapula(which was broken by the force of the bullet) Penetration was like 9-12 inches. I've seen FMJ used on antelope, and even with a head shot most times it required a double-tap to get the job done. Any body shot will go right through and animal the size of an antelope, and might go all the way through a deer broadside.

I've never shot an animal in the head with a 9mm, but i have with a 357. Used a 125 grain remmington jhp. the animal dropped as if pole-axed and the bullet was going so fast it did not expand or break the skull like the 45, but instead of "falling over" It SLAMMED into the ground. Not sure of the physics involved .. but I'd say the 357 killed the fastest.

Note that NONE of these pistols was intended as a main arm,rather a coup de grace weapon and ranges fired were generally within 10 feet IF the rifle used to shoot them as not instantly lethal. Game animals have been known to get up and try to run away when you walk up on them, so i usually walk up with a loaded pistol. I don't believe in making the animal suffer and I'd much rather make a humane 1 shot kill. However, over the years I've had to finish off a few of mine, and a number shot by another hunter.

Hope this illustrates that all ceneterfire handgun rounds are potentially lethal. Many hunters I know carry just a small .22 for the purpose described.

Hope the information is helpful... and educational.

Stay safe,

Dr.Rob

For my .40s I carry Speer 180gr Gold Dots. They have the expansion and deep penetration I like, plus at $10 per 20 they are priced right. So far I have fired over 500 of these in my Glock and HK and have had remarkably good accuracy and perfect feeding.

Corbon For me!
Shoots well and feeds well in all my guns.
I use the 357magnum,40sw and 357sig are my fav.
Not into the 45+p so i stick with fmj 230g
or something in that line.

Federal makes perhaps my all time favorite load. The full power 125 grain JHP in .357 Magnum. I've had only good experience with this load. It is capable of great accuracy. This was the most accurate load I tested in a snub model 19. Despite the blast, recoil isn't really all that bad, even in this lightweight with standard wood grips. The Federal 125 gr. magnum will always expand (if not fragment) in any water, water soaked newsprint, etc., test I have performed(even from a two and a half inch revolver barrel). It will do so even after striking thick holster leather or similar material. As far as "tactical" or hard target penetration is concerned, the Federal load will defeat car bodies and automobile glass with a good deal of success. I have taken one whitetail doe with this round. The animal only ran a few yards before dropping. The bullet did not exit, but expanded somewhat. It was a far shot of maybe 75 yards (yes, YARDS not feet, although it is a big maybe). That performance was from a 4" Colt 357. This has been from my own personal experience. However, Marshall/Sanow's 96% OSS rating involving 523 actual shootings helps inspire confidence also.

.45ACP: (full sized auto) 230 grain Hydra Shok
.45ACP: (Compact Auto) Federal 185 grain +P
.40S&W: 135 grain Cor-Bon or Triton
9MM: Uh - I dont use Nines... But if I did - 115 grain loads... I like that Blue Nylon coated round...
.38 Special: Speer Gold Dots
.223: Hornady V-Max
.22: CCI Stingers

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 09, 1999).]

.45ACP: 230 grain Hydra Shok
.40S&W: 180 grain Speer Gold Dots
9MM: 125 grain Hydra Shok
147 grain Hydra Shok or Ranger T
.380ACP: 90 grain Hydra Shok
.223: 55 grain M855 Ball
62 grain SS109 green tip
.308: 168 grain Match (for target work)
147 grain NATO (for plinking)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I find that the Golden Sabers and the Gold Dots open better when shot through clothing. I would not feel unarmed with Hydra-Shocks, but have seen them clog on cloth. (230 gr)

My fav load for each:

.45 - 230 grain Gold Dots (speer or GA Arms)
9mm - 124 Speer GD or the +P 124 GDs.
.357 - 125 Speer GD
.38 - any flavor 158 LSWCHP

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

This is what I use/or used:

9mm - Proload 124 gr. +P Gold Dot
.40 S&W - Proload 165 gr. Gold Dot
.45 Auto - 230 gr. Winchester SXT

Keep in mind that the major brands are almost all the same in terms of statistics... Find the round that feed reliably and is accurate for the gun you are using it in...

Well, I did have Mag-Safes in my BHP, a la Strausburg, till I discovered this site & refs to Tactical's. Since reading about the frangible's shortcomings, I've switched to 124GS (that very evening! matter of fact).

Will still have to do some reading on the subject to make a final decision.

But, thanks to this site (& Tactical), I can get more factual information and make a better choice.

A great site! Best since the old DEC firearms notes (& that's been awhile!)

Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok 45ACP
Triton or Corbon 115gr +P+ 9mm

Have been thinking about switching over to ProLoad's 230gr +P for the 45ACP and 124gr+P+ for the 9mm. Have been doing some research but would like to test the ammo some more and get feedback from others that use ProLoad also.

ProLoads price is better than Hydra-Shok's or Triton/Corbon so we can practice more with the ammo carried in these weapons.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited December 09, 1999).]

George BAD BAD BAD defense load for 223. That's a varmint round NOT a penetrator. See my post on prefragmented loads or on penetration is BS (I posted it twice)

You'd do better with ball ammo OR soft points.

hasn't anyone else actually SHOT something with one or more of these "defense" loads??
Even if you shot up old phone books or whatever I'd like to hear about it.

Dr.Rob

It's CORBON for me.I think the name PERSONAL DEFENSE would be great if litigation is needed, but my choice is CORBON.They make available to us products that other manufacturers reserve for special police units etc.

Federal, brand loyalty. It was the first load I bought and I just stuck with it, never had a problem.

Besides, if I can't spank someone with 15 rounds of anything, I will need to use at least 1 on myself.

As always...Glock Glock, heed the following: "Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol and get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

Dr Rob - all do respect, but I got my reasons for it...
Bad Bad Bad? You going to try to take a rolled up newspaper to me?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In the News this hour, a local man was terribly mauled by a large angry bear when he attempted to spank it with a rolled up newspaper... hehe... In Sports tonight, ball players make just too much damn money...[/quote]

Okay - My reason for the V-max:
Yes - I know its for Squirls... When it hits a large critter - such as a Violent Criminal, it will break up. Kinda like a Magsafe load.
Now, I am a recovering Fragmentation Fan... Some times I just like it. Now - this type of bullet in .223 is not that bad. You think so? Well - Hornady uses the same bullet for the much vaunted Urban TAP round. Hey - Whats good for SWAT is good enough for me.
------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 11, 1999).]

Some of you will balk, but hey....call it habit after 13 years.

.38--125gr. Starfires
.45--230gr. FMJ

I prefer FMJ out of the .45 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is penetration. I've never talked to another Marine who HAS HAD to use FMJs that has said they needed a follow up shot. It's a stopper pure and simple...

------------------
"Stop forest fires--ban matches."

Back