Favorite gun stock color?

TrueBlue711

A friend of mine gave me his old Remington 700 long action XCR tactical stock. It was a failed attempt at hydro dipping and he just wanted to get rid of it. I plan on sanding off the hydro dip disaster and repaint it with duracoat for selling purposes. It's a great stock (attached an pic from the Remington website with the stock + gun), but I want to make it as "sellable" as possible.
SO! I'd like to take a "what's your favorite color" poll more or less. If you were going to buy a new stock for a bolt gun (or any gun for that matter), what color would appeal to you the most? Black? FDE? ODG? A camo pattern? Let me know and whatever gets the most answers will probably be what I go with. Thanks!

Attachments

• 84460_700XCR_Tactical_silo-.jpg
    84460_700XCR_Tactical_silo-.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 88
I don't like camo jobs, I suppose if I was a hunter it might be useful.

I hate FDE

ODG Is ok, but I don't think you can really go wrong with black.
Medium grey isn't bad either.

I'd play it safe and go black.

Dark walnut. Sorry for the useless post, but I like walnut/blued steel. As far as composite stocks go, for me it depends on the barrel. If it's stainless I like black. But if it's black/blue I'd prefer an odg kinda like a Ruger American predator.

Walnut.
img_6710.jpg

...and OD Green.
20170510.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, please no more wood related ones. I can't paint "wood finish" out of an airbrush. Thank you for the responses so far though!

Depends on the firearm, for example the American Walnut on my Henry Big Boy looks amazing, but would look somewhat out of place on my AR-15.

Not that it couldn't be done...

Hmm...

FDE.

You can't be a Tactical Operator (TO) if you don't have a Flat Dark Earth (FDE) Tactical Battle Weapons System Platform System (TBWSPS).

Any other color is for POGs or people operating non operationally outside of the AO.

Last edited:
Yes you can paint a wood finish with an airbrush, they've been doing just that for years on steel and plastic automotive interiors since the 1920's. It's called "woodgraining" Google it. I've seen some very realistic examples on dashboards on classic cars, and they're a lot bigger than your Remington stock.

No, OD Green (ODG) is not for the Modern Joint Strike Force Team Tactical Operator Warfighter Weapons System Platform (MJSFTTOWWSP) and does not meet requirement for OPSTEMPO Battle Strategy (BS) deployment specifications. ODG was for the last war, today's modern tactical warfighter (MTW) needs a Tactical Arid Climate Pattern (TACP, not to be confused with USAF TACP) Joint Modular Coating System (MCS, i.e. paint) for the AO they operate operationally in.

Plus it's kewl.

All tactijargon aside, I like either walnut, maple, or if synthetic, plain 'ol black.

Back