Favorite ammo company(s)?

TrueBlue711

Just would like to hear everybody's opinion on their favorite or go-to ammo companies. Looking at quality/accuracy and cost.
For pistol, I tend to buy Winchester the most for plinking purposes and Hornady for self-defense rounds.
My rifles vary the most. My bolt and lever actions, I usually go with Hornady. I don't get "plinking" ammo for those since I'm not shooting hundreds of rounds at a time through them. My ARs and other semi auto rifles, I get bulk factory reloads from ammoseek.com for plinking. And Hornady again for the stuff I like to have my scopes zeroed in for.
For shotguns, I get the Federal 100 round boxes from Walmart when it comes to skeet/trap shooting. And I use both Federal and Remington for hunting rounds.

Last edited:
My favorite ammo company is me
Haha yeah, reloading is the way to go from what I hear. If I had the time, I would. Do you cast your own bullets too or do you buy factory bullets? If factory, which one do you usually go with?

Only masochists make their own bullets.
Gotta' draw the line some where.
I mostly prefer lead semi wadcutters from Penn Bullets.
And Xtreme for plated ones.
But any quality maker will do.

When I have the extra $ I have been using\stocking Prime Ammunition. I really like it, especially their 6.5 Creedmore.

Last edited:
I've always been partial to/pleased with CCI ammo.

I will say Norma Tac .22lr is the best .22 ammo I have ever used. My Remington 597 is a bit picky with ammo and it eats that stuff up.

Honestly not had any problem with the major brands.

CCI for 22lr, I think they have the best quality for this round.

Winchester for 9mm plinking ammo, I know a lot of people hate wwb, I luv it.

Remington for revolver & shotgun ammo, Don't ask me why I just like rem for this.

When in doubt reach for Federal, I'm definitely a fan of their HST's.
On the other hand I HATE federal distribution policy that normally keeps LE boxes of the stuff off store shelves, For a long time they would not permit sell to civilians.. till they figured out the could package it in 20rnd boxes and charge ridiculous amounts for it.
They still don't allow sells of the 50rnd LEO boxes to the public, But the internet don't give a damn.

But honestly I usually will let my wallet be my guide.

I hunt with Winchester but otherwise, my favorite is the cheapest reliable ammo I can throw down range.

I like Gold Dots for my self defense guns when possible.

For practice or plinking I will use just about anything.........except Remington or AMerc (if they even still exist).

Well, you all have me terrified to use handholds for self defense I find Speer 124 +p works fine in my un-modified carry gun, a G26.
Every revolver gets my reloads.
I have been very satisfied with Sellier & Belliot for 9mm practice. American Eagle seems a bit low powered.
HXP and Lake City M2 ball are the only ammo for my Garands.

If it's centerfire, it's my own reloads. So, then, rimfire: Winchester, Federal, and CCI are among the best in premium ammo. It seems to me that Federal does a lot better than average job with the bulk stuff.

For practice/plinking ammo? Whoever is brass cased, is cheapest, and isn't named Magtech.

For JHP pistol ammo? I like Hornady, Speer, Winchester, and Buffalo Bore.

For good, accurate rifle ammo? Hornady.

I recently was testing different 308 Match 165 gr. JBTHP in an M1A. I had Federal (USA), PMC (Korea), and Privi Partisan (Serbia). The Federal and PMC were making 6" clusters in and around the black but the PPU turned in 3 inch groups. And only $17.00 a box. I've shot a lot of PPU in European milsurp bolt actions with great results. The brass is nice and can be reloaded. It's usually the cheapest ammo around.
I also got a great deal on a case of Silver Bear 308 awhile back. It shoots very well in FAL and M1A. Can't find it now anywhere.

My favorite ammo company is me.

Ditto. I can load 45acp for 16 cents per round with Dardas hard cast, or 19 to 20 cents per round with Xtreme copper plated. Both are as accurate as a man can shoot off-hand.

When I do buy factory ammo, most any quality big brand will do. Winchester Ranger is GTG. Remington GS is as well. For rifle? I used to love Federal but I hate their brass. If reloading the brass was a non-issue then I would still be a federal guy.

Back