Fast Draw Times

And of course, you won't know how fast you are if you aren'y using a timer.

I've got a CED 7000. There are other good ones out there. Get one.

Ed McGivern devoted a whole chapter to timers and measuring instruments in his book on revolver shooting. With my speed, there's no point to bothering.

And of course, you won't know how fast you are if you aren'y using a timer.

I've got a CED 7000. There are other good ones out there. Get one.

I use my android phone as timer, there's an application that counts down, produces a beep and records the shots, with adjustable peak settings so dry firing is also possible. A real timer may be better but it's free and it works :)

super human

Has anyone caught the Discovery channel Super Humans show where they had a shooter who could draw, fire, and reholster faster than your eye could follow? He was so fast they had scientist hook him up to measuring instruments. The scientist said this guy pulled 24 g on his wrist when he pulled his revolver. His time was faster than the scientist felt was humanly possible. He was also very accurate, shot a Colt SAA.

terrance hill?

Deaf, i did not catch the guys name. W/M 60ish, dressed up western. did not look like the fastest draw in the world.

In the mid 90's I could do a draw and hit an IPSC target at 7 yards in the A or C zone in under 1 second from a timer beep. Today I can do it in under 2 seconds from cover. Earlier it was from a competetion holster. When you get older things go a bit slower, but still fast enough to beat street crime from CCW!

Bob Munden .02 seconds

Deaf, Terence Hill was fast but i believe Bob Munden is faster. He is the guy i saw on Discovery. there are some you tube videos of Munden, but i don't understand how to add attachments.

birdshot,

Terence Hill was just an actor. Those films they just sped up the deal to make him look fast.

Munden, on the other hand, is real.

Deaf

Drawing from an IWB holster from an open front concealment garment such as a vest or a light jacket, a "good" time for a draw to a single hit on an 8 inch plate is right around 1.5 seconds. If you're drawing to a smaller target, such as a 3x5 index card (my favorite new practice target) then your draw will necessarily be slower. I'm usually around 1.8ish seconds from concealment to an index card at 7 yards if I want to be sure of my hit.

Drawing to an open "Down Zero" zone on an IDPA target from concealment, I can keep pretty consistently around 1.2 to 1.3 seconds; if I want to get under one second from concealment I sacrifice a lot of sight picture and accuracy.

That being said, forget all of this "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" nonsense. Slow is slow. Fast is fast. There is a point to going slow. The point to going slow is to build up positive reps of a movement (such as a draw) and to give you the ability to analyze your drawstroke and eliminate wasted motion. Just practicing the "slow" motion doesn't make you fast. A runner who can run a 10 second hundred meter dash doesn't practice making a perfect 10 second run, he pushes his speed to make a 9.5 second run. The same is true about shooting. Once you've gone slow enough to master the mechanics of the movement, push yourself to go faster. You have to push yourself to the edge of your performance envelope - go so fast that you start dropping more shots than you're making.

When I'm practicing for pure speed on an 8 inch circle, my goal is hit at least 80% of my shots. If I'm hitting more than 80% I'm going too slow, and if I'm under that 80% margin then I'm going too fast.

I just got one of those shot timers to see just exactly what I could do.

Normally I carry in my pants pocket, but I got a Blackhawk holster to play with.

I found out, (using the timer) at 7 yards I can draw and fire 2 rounds out of my 642, hitting the A ring of the USPCA target at 7 yards in 1.98 seconds.

I can't do it wearing earmuffs, I can't hear the beep from the timer. Normally when I shoot matches, the RO has to tap me on the shoulder.

Like I said, I don't carry in a holster, I wont try it out of the pocket for fear of hitting something important.

Back