Factory crimp die needed for 380

Is it necessary to have the factory crimp die?
No.
It's snake oil in search of more snake oil.
Or, in rare instances, snake oil that stumbles upon a justifiable application. (Though still less than ideal and harmful to downrange performance.)

Has anyone used a Lee Autodrum powder measure with RCBS dies? Can that work?
No.
If you want to drop powder charges through a standard die, you need the Lee PTE die.

I used the auto drum with the Lee powder through expander. I really liked it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, after researching this further I'm going ahead with the Lee 4 dies set and take my chances. I can either use or not use the FCD. I found that much of the issue necessitating the undersized .003 die was due to picking up others range brass which I'm not planning on doing much of. I'll be capturing my own brass and keeping track of how many times I reload it. I'm using Federal, Winchester and Starline brass. Also I'm using 356 dia bullets not 355. So, hopefully I won't need to spend the additional $29 on an undersized die. I'll update this post if I do.

Like I mentioned earlier, my use of the Lee FCD was on cast bullets, which you may not be shooting. I’ll run each cast bullet reload through the FCD, but can feel that nothing is being done to most of them. Just a few. The FCD is worth having, even if it doesn’t get much work.

But they aren't the same ... or, if they are, they shouldn't be.

Per SAAMI, .380 ACP should have a case OD of .3730 at the mouth, and .3731 at .04" back from the mouth. 9mm should have an OD of .3800 at the mouth and .3811 at .04 back from the mouth. That difference of .007 could mean the difference between chambering properly, or not chambering properly.
Pretty clear that you’re confusing the finished measurements of the round with the tools needed to achieve that result.

A taper crimp die set up for a 9mm will not even touch the mouth of a 380 ACP.

Conversely, a taper crimp die set up for a .380ACP will severely over crimp the 9mm round. It’s a tapered crimp die. Thus, so long as the round can enter into the die, the amount of crimp desired is totally under your control.

See attached screenshot of Hornady dies for .380ACP and 9mm.

Attachments

• 24C84666-A65E-49F3-A8CC-24CF0F9A0DC4.png
    24C84666-A65E-49F3-A8CC-24CF0F9A0DC4.png
    731.9 KB · Views: 10
Back