Factory ammo 270 wsm

Deadeye 35

Inactive
I have a tikka t3 in 270 wsm on order. This gun will be used for deer hunting only. Depending on where I hunt my shots range between 30 and 400 yards. For those of you who have used this caliber, what factory would work best at these ranges? I'm not worried about loss of meat as long as it kills quick and makes em bleed if they happen to run.

At closer range due to the high velocity you will most likely needs a Barnes type bullet of stout construction. After you air it out a bit, a standard bullet will be OK. A good compromise might be a bonded core bullet. Welcome to TFL

You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing. There is no way around that either. No two rifles will shoot the same ammo the same way. And yes it does get expensive.
Wouldn't use any .270 WSM past 300 yards. Bullets drop like bricks past 300. Try the Federal 130's first.

Winchester 130 Gr. Ballistic Silvertip performs awesome on whitetail deer, 10 yds to 500+ yards. If you feel it is not a tough enough bullet, the power max bonded will fill the bill, but in most rifles it is not as accurate as the ballistic silvertip.

So a bullet from a 270 WSM "drops like a rock past 300 yards". What a truly ridiculous statement.

With a MV of 3000 fps, which a standard 270 will easily do, if sighted in at 200 yards, will drop about 7 inches at 300, 20 inches at 400, and 40 inches at 500. Step that up to about 3500 fps, and those numbers will be close to 5, 15, and 30 inches, depending on bullet BC.

Seriously, though, even the regular 270 will be quite destructive to meat if you hit there. Just take a lung shot and you will lose no meat. If you are doing a lot of hunting where 50 yards is a long shot, consider switching to a 30-30 Winchester. Different tools for different jobs.

Last edited:
Yeah, .270 WSM dropping like a brick past 300yds is far from accurate information. That is almost as funny as some of the stuff Bernie Sanders is saying. The .270 WSM is knocking on the door of the .270WBY.

Well the 270 WSM and the 270 Weatherby both just have to be pretty darn good performers because they are supposed to offer improved ballistics to the already great 270 Winchester. However, I question whether it is worth sacrificing the magazine capacity and the super-smooth feeding of the standard 270 for a dubious enhancement in velocity. Hand-loaded, with optimal powders, and a 24" barrel, it is easy to achieve 3,000 fps with 150 grain bullets. I have personal clocked 140 grain bullets to 3,285; admittedly a hot load; I think 3,100 should be about the limit for those. I think, if all rifles wear the same 24" barrel, the regular 270 Winchester performs right with the 264 WM, 270 Weatherby, 280 Ackley, and very close to the 7mm Remington Magnum. A 270 with 130 grain bullets is like an utter death-ray on deer.

Mostly these days, I hunt with a 260, but I used a 270 for decades. Killed a couple hundred deer at ranges out to about 450 yards. It's a great round for deer hunting. I used 130 gr bullets at 3000fps.

That said, a switch to the new Nosler 110 gr Accubond brings MV up to about 3500 fps, which is a touch faster than the 257 Weatherby pushes a 110 gr bullet. So, I'm thinking that if a fellow wanted a real screamer of a deer load, put that bullet with the 270 WSM. I'd give it a try, but the truth is that inside 400 yards, that 260 with the 120 gr Nosler BT is really all I need.

It shoots the same bullets 100 fps faster than a 270W. The same 130-150 gr bullets anyone would normally use will be just fine at any range.

I have great luck with 130 gr. Sierra bullets and RL 19 powder. For factory loads I have had good luck with Federal blue box SP ammo.
I have shot deer from 40-300+ yards. The close deer as well as the far ones drop in their tracks. Extremely hard hitting.

I prefer 270 WSM in rifles that take advantage of the concept such as a Kimber. My Kimber 8400 packs all the punch in a package that feels like a trim 243.
The only downside to me is that the rifle holds one less round.
Also, I highly doubt a 110 gr. Out of a 270 Win is going to outpace a 110 out of a 257 Weatherby Mag. The Weatherby has a clear case capacity advantage there.

We have had a lot of guys order silver tip but it isn't cheap. I really don't know much about these rounds personally but if you are looking for a good hunting round they seem to swear by the Winchester BST which is 130gr.

Winchester ballistic silvertip

I have shot quite a few deer with my savage model 10 .270wsm and 130 grain federal power shok three of those being high shoulder shots. All three of those deer were bang flop drt, but the bullet failed to exit. Last season I switched to the Winchester ballistic silvertip. I shot a big doe about two miles from the road on national forest, the shot was probably 70-80 yards. I hit her in the high shoulder, bang flop. The bullet blew through both shoulders and the spine and left a fist size exit hole. I was quite impressed by the destruction the bullet caused, although it did make me wonder about taking quartering shots.

Quartering Shots?

In my limited experience, I prefer not to take a quartering shot as a deer approaches since they will be getting closer and will almost certainly offer a better shot as they turn from, or pass your position. but if the deer is quartering away, a shot near the last ribs will angle the bullet's path right into the vitals and will have to expend a great deal of its energy before it gets to the opposite front quarter. Thus there is somewhat less potential for meat destruction than the quartering-on shot.

257 Weatherby vs 270 Winchester

From the load data I've looked at, it looks to me like the 257 Weatherby and the 270 Winchester would be closely matched for velocity with bullets of about 100 grains and equal barrel lengths.

I don't mind taking quartering shots because they disrupt more vital organs and generally drop the deer quicker. I've learned the hard way it's best to take the first decent shot you get because you may not get another chance.

I'm a fan of Nosler Ballistic Tips, but have learned from experience that quartering shots aren't my first choice. Wait for your shot and put it through the lungs.

Back