Facing shooting restrictions today

Thanks, now I had to double check.
8.6lbs or no more than a gallon of milk. No driving for 3 weeks. Start short walks this week.

Take it easy. Shooting a month or two sooner than the doc advises isn't worth the risk of having to start all over. Your life should be worth something to you. :)

kmw1954 said:
Thanks, now I had to double check.
8.6lbs or no more than a gallon of milk. No driving for 3 weeks. Start short walks this week.
My driveway is almost exactly 100 yards long. My first walks were under the supervision of the occupational therapist who was assigned to me. The first try I made it one lap (to the street, and back) and had to lie down to recover. After a week I was up to three laps, and I was elated.

Recovery is progressive -- don't try to push it too hard at the start, or you risk setbacks.

AB, Thanks! I had an artificial graft put in my legs almost 14 years ago. That surgery was almost as invasive and if it wasn't for the sternum this time that surgery would have been.
After that one I was able to return to very light duty after 3 months and then to light duty after 6 months. I was almost a year in until I finally felt I was 100%.

At this point I'm looking forward to my rehab, the walks that I could see improvement being made though I'm still at the point that even after taking my shower I need to go lay down for about an hr because it's so physically draining.

quick update

Visiting nurse came today and everything is going very well. All seems to be healing as expected or better. Also been able to get out and walk about 6 blocks a day comfortably. It's also been 13 days smoke free!!!!

OP: I had that done to me in 2012 and am fine, although it took quite awhile to get back to 100%.

Random notes:

*Your chest will move unnaturally for a month; try not to cough or sneeze during that time period.

*Get as much sleep as you can.

*The anesthesia has not yet worn off; expect sudden mood swings.

*That "chest pain" you will feel at random times is actually your cotton shirt rubbing against the scar.

*Start exercising ASAP. It will speed your recover by a 1000%. No weights for several months, though.

*Don't do anything for awhile that requires any upper body strength, including turning a steering wheel.

From one Kev to another, thanks for the heads up. Coughing is another reason to quit smoking. Was feeling pretty good until the other night when it was hot in the bedroom and couldn't get comfy and was bouncing around all night. I think I strained my sternum as it's really been hurting since.

Well my wife and brother such kind and loving people that they are have suggested that they will take me to the range and let me reload magazines for them while they shoot! Now isn't that nice?? !!!!!

On another note. It's been 16 days now w/o a cigarette. Wife says to quit counting, that I'm only torturing myself by doing so. I say it's a reward to be shouted out.

I'm still thinking I need to take the money saved and reward myself with a new pistol when I'm healed. I've always wanted a Beretta Cheetah 84.

KMW . . . I still recall . . .

KMW I haven't smoked for 30 plus years and never was more than half a pack a day man when I did . . . But I still recall the struggle. It was tough to quit and if you are at 16 days without . . . Bravo. You are over the hump or atleast close to it.

In terms of shooting fun you might try video games that have "gun" controllers where you actually shoot at the screen. I have both a PS2 and an original Wii. The shooting games are a lot of fun and while not the same as getting to the range they do scratch that itch a little.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Back