Eyesight issue

I went out later with my trusty 1911, the pistol I have always shot best with, and fired 2 magazines worth. The first 7 were low and left but the grouping was okay. The second 7 were dead on and all within 2 inches of each other.

My conclusion, with practice I will be very bit as adequate shooting right hand left eye as I was shooting right hand right eye!:D

NKf5KOt6o0WFYFrQonG3zLrPkJFvVVjSlsagBN5ZnPh

I am right handed and left master eyed... I shoot my handguns and rifles the same (exact) way that lefteye described in Message #11. In my opinion I can hold my own among the best of them. :)

Me, too. Left eye dominant and right handed. I cannot shoot with both eyes open. Things look like a kaleidoscope when I try to do that, and I don't know where the front sight is. I've tried to shoot with just the right eye open, but that eye is not nearly as sharp as the left eye.

I shoot from a Weaver stance, so my body is already at an angle to the target. All that I have to do is close the right eye and tilt my head ever so slightly to the right to line things up with my left eye. I've been doing it for so long that anything else feels really awkward. My guns shoot to POA, so I don't think much about it.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I had LASIKi correction mono vision.. I decided to learn to shoot hand guns left handed.. It's now natural plus I can switch hit back to right, although infrequent..

I would recommend learning left.. It costs nothing right??

Thewelshm

Big Shrek

Since Lasic eye surgery has really come down in price,
and most insurance companies pay for it,
just get 'em fixed

If it were only that easy. The issue is an optic nerve swelling that is creating a gray cloud type of effect in the upper portion of my right eye. Treatment, that included an injection into my eye, has eased the problem, but it isn't cured and may never be. So I am planning in case it never goes back to normal.

Long time shooter , right handed and right eye dominate , until loosing most of the sight in my right eye several years ago. Easiest thing to do is simply shoot shotguns and rifles left handed. Not as hard to do as you might think , the left hand can squeeze the trigger with just a little practice.
Shoot handguns with my right hand , and sight with left eye , tilt head a bit to get tri-focal glasses in the right place . Aiming handgun with left eye was easy.
After a while it becomes second nature.
I find it helps to close my nearly blind right eye and let the left do all the aiming.....so much for both eyes open shooting , you have to shoot with what you got.
Gary

I have not even tried shooting a rifle yet. But I agree with you about closing the right eye. I think it is far easier than trying to sight through the cloud of my right eye.

Aiming with one eye closed was the common method for centuries.
No reason to think it's not still useful if need be.
What ever works.

I seem to have always confused "dominant eye" with "eye that has best vision."

In the various "find your dominant eye" tests, my left eye wins. But when I block that eye and look through my right eye I see better than blocking the right and using the left dominant eye.

This may explain why I've always got better results peering through the sights with my right non-dominant eye, even though I feel the impulse to use the other eye.

Back