External 1911 extractor.

dahermit said:
.I just though that there might be a bushing I did not know about.
There could be. There are aftermarket sleeves (which could be considered "bushings") to allow standard 1911 [internal] extractors to be used in Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA pistols that originally had the Para Power Xtractor.

My el cheapo 1911 government model "clone" has had maybe 40 rounds through it. Am pretty sure the brass landed in 39 different places.

My Glock 19 pretty much puts them all in the same pile. The 1911? They go everywhere.

I assume I may need to tune the internal extractor. Gun is pretty new, overall I am pleased for the money spent.
Mine was made in Turkey by Tisas. Again not really broken in yet. Anyone have a good source for info/instructions.

TIA

My el cheapo 1911 government model "clone" has had maybe 40 rounds through it. Am pretty sure the brass landed in 39 different places.

My Glock 19 pretty much puts them all in the same pile. The 1911? They go everywhere.

I assume I may need to tune the internal extractor. Gun is pretty new, overall I am pleased for the money spent.
Mine was made in Turkey by Tisas. Again not really broken in yet. Anyone have a good source for info/instructions.

TIA
It is likely that you will have to tune both the ejector and the extractor.
https://m1911.org/technic2.htm
See post #7 here:
https://www.1911forum.com/threads/tuning-ejection-pattern-need-a-little-help.309603/

Dehermit: I've owned a half dozen or more 1911's with the original internal extractor and have had to tweek or replace 3-4 of them. Breakage primarily. But have had zero problems with a Sig 1911 RCS fitted with an external extractor, nor with any of my other 4 Sig's from the DA/SA "P" series. I'd opine that it's a better design in that regard, at least in my examples. YMMv.

Great post, Fastbolt, I learned something today, after over 50 years of toting the venerable 1911 around.

I've got upper slides/barrel assemblies in 9mm & .38 Super for a Colt Combat Commander that work flawlessly with the original .45 ACP Ejector. Slide lock back sometimes doesn't happen, but they run very well, as good as with the original .45 upper. These same uppers work equally well with a Ruger CMD in .45. Any thoughts? Just curious....Rod

Last edited:
I've got upper slides/barrel assemblies in 9mm & .38 Super for a Colt Combat Commander that work flawlessly with the original .45 ACP Ejector. Slide lock back sometimes doesn't happen, but they run very well, as good as with the original .45 upper. These same uppers work equally well with a Ruger CMD in .45. Any thoughts? Just curious....Rod
At one time I bought the parts (complete slide, barrel, magazines) to convert my Colt Combat Commander from .38 Super to 9mm. It functioned witout any problem. However, inasmuch as I already had a 9mm Browning H.P., I saw no reason for a .38 Super that could be converted to 9mm. So I sold those parts at a gun show.

Dehermit: I've owned a half dozen or more 1911's with the original internal extractor and have had to tweek or replace 3-4 of them. Breakage primarily. But have had zero problems with a Sig 1911 RCS fitted with an external extractor, nor with any of my other 4 Sig's from the DA/SA "P" series. I'd opine that it's a better design in that regard, at least in my examples. YMMv.
To be honest, I am convinced that an external extractor with its coil spring is likely an improvement (less problematic, more reliable) over the original design, internal extractor. However, I am such a traditionalist (an emotional response, not a logical one), and the fact that I would not likely every carry a 1911 for defense, I don't think I would ever buy a 1911 with an external extractor...but then again, Tom Selleck and his gun in the Jessie Stone series may have had an influece on me if I saw one in good condition for sale. :)

The Commander was designed as a 9mm. When they brought it out in .45 they stayed with the same width ejector. Length varies with caliber but is pretty forgiving.

I'm going to watch the Jesse Stone series again because Jesse's gun was a bone stock Colt Commander.
Unless there is some print media showing an external extractor, the premise of the OP question is false.

I'm going to watch the Jesse Stone series again because Jesse's gun was a bone stock Colt Commander.
Unless there is some print media showing an external extractor, the premise of the OP question is false.
If you read my original post carefully, I did not offer any premise...only seeking information. Here is what I asked:
So to the point, how frequently are extractors found with too little tension? Is the S&W "external" extractor a better idea/improvement? What has your experience been?
The thing about Jessy Stone's gun was just an aside that got me to thinking about 1911 extractors.

I am no expert, but I do a little gun smithing on my own guns, I don't see advantage or disadvantage of external or internal extractor, it's all individual AND more importantly, depends on adjusting.

I have Colt Gold Cup that is internal extractor, it's definitely not inferior to my S&W659. In fact, after adjustment and polishing the ejector port, the shell flew out much farther than the 659 and not tumbling when coming out.

If you were to doing your own modification on the extractor, I would buy a new extractor to do all the adjusting and keep the original one untouched. So if you screw up the new one, you can always go back to the old one and you're good to go.

I've seen video in adjusting the tension on both kinds, you can easily find those.

Back