Extended range time with magnums

"Kind of snarky in my view.

Last I knew it was a free country at least in that regard and the OP can do what tickles his fancy."

In which case he shouldn't have made this comment:
" but am a bit worried when doing a precision rifle class, a 1-300 round range day may beat me up a bit."

I can make whatever comment I want in this case. There's no need to be an ass about anything really. I've gotten an answer to which you confirmed you would rather have something closer to a bench rest gun, or at least something different than a hunting rifle to a class. I however shoot far more handgun competitions/leagues/etc... and preferred to have something familiar in my hands at a class as I would in the field.

I don't need a bench rest gun, giant waste of time for me. There's nothing wrong with bench rest shooting, I think it's not for me. Something I'm going to use in the field and have hands on experience with in a class however, is useful.

If you don't have anything constructive just keep scrolling when you see anything posted. As far as the admins are concerned, my questions have been answered.

Much as I loved my 7 Mags I know my limits, I have zero interest in shooting one that much in a day for many reasons. I know I would develop a flinch and loose my ability to accurately place my shots, that many shots out of a sporter weight rifle doesn't sound like fun. I would expect the barrel life of a 7 Mag would be less than many other calibers. The only things off hand I can think of that would help, are; GOOD recoil pads, adding weight to the rifle, muzzle brakes. All have their down sides. It might not be my choice but you can shoot a .378 Weatherby if you want, won't bother me.

I would love to go to a school for long reang. And yeah i'd take some shots with my Rem Mag.
But as the OP was originally stating 100-300 rounds a day with it. He() no!!!

I've been hunting with 30-06 for 50 years and my brother 7mag seems to kick a little bit more than my 06. Could be perceived but I feel it. My brother has taken elk with his 270, but not at 600 yards. All his kills have been at about 203yds max. To me there is only one advantage the 7mag has over the 06. That is it will remain supersonic to about 1500 yds where the 06 to about 1200 yards. I can't see that far so it does not matter. Where it matter to me is price! A whole darn cheaper to buy 06 Remington core-lokt than 7mag.

If you have a good shooting jacket, take it with you and use it.

I shot a lot of 7 RM in the past, but I no longer own one.

I don't think I have ever shot 300 rounds in one day other than handgun.

When I take my 460 out it takes me prolly 5 hours to shoot 10-15 rounds. I don't get flinchy that way. Of course i take something else to fill in the time.

I shoot different that most when working with a hunting rifle and don't let the barrel get more that 10-15 degrees over ambient. This is measured with an IR instrument.

Mag ums lighter than the .338 are sort of pointless. If you need a magnum rifle it should be for both heavier bullets and high velocity. High velocity alone is not much use.

Back