Explain the "tuckable iwb" please...

I always wear an IWB. Usually I wear my shirts untucked and my holster on the back of my hip towards the 5 o'clock position.
There are times though, when I will wear a shirt that I want/need to tuck in.
Today was one of those days. I ended up tucking my shirt in and also needed to move my holster to appendix carry to give it a less bulky appearance since my shirt was more fitted.

But here is how I looked at the mall concealing my compact 9mm. No one ever pays any attention to the clips on your belt.
IWBtucked_zps1ed86f68.jpg

redhologram, your picture also brings to mind one of the other big advantages that I've noticed in IWB vs. OWB: Access to front pockets. With my OWB, I have to work around the holster to get to my right front pocket, and that's where I keep my keys. No such trouble with my IWB.

Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much? I've tried them and even with a small gun no matter where I place the holster on my hip or how loose I left the part of the shirt that wasn't tucked in there was a huge obvious bulge. I always thought that even to the untrained eye it would be obvious as a pounded thumb that you had something inside your belt.

Sadly, most people wouldn't notice you were carrying a gun if you strapped it to your forehead. They just aren't looking and they have their own things going on.

On the bulge with tuckable holsters, I've carried a Glock 26 and a Browning Hi-Power that way and nobody ever noticed either one, although the Glock has a very obvious bulge, especially from the front where your belt unexplicably juts out from your hip for no apparent reason. Thin slide guns with older locking lugs like the Browning 1910, 1911, Hi-Power tend to conceal very well though.

Spats,
That's a good point. Although my keys won't fit in my pockets. The only thing I can slip in mine is my BG knife and I always manage to make room for it.

Also, from my perspective, I have found that the hip hugger style jeans do not work as well for comfort and concealment when you have hipbones and curves. I have found buying jeans that sit up closer to my natural waistline makes concealment easier because the gun can then hug into your curves instead of being pushed out against your hipbones.
Just a tip for anyone else who may encounter similar issues.

Bartholomew, you're exactly right. I have commented elsewhere that unless you're carrying something slightly larger than a Howitzer, it's unlikely that anyone will notice. In today's world, we've become accustomed to folks having all kinds of odd bulges around the waistline (pagers, phones, PDAs, etc.)

rhg, good tip. Women have a whole set of concealment concerns that we men just don't think about. I, for one, would look incredibly silly in hip-huggers, whether I was trying to conceal a pistol or not!

This is my carry set up, . . . it is incredibly comfortable, as well as being almost impossible to detect.

I have never been made, . . . or at least no one has ever mentioned it to me.

The only down side, it is a bit aggravating if you have to disarm to go into the post office, school, or something like that.

May God bless,
Dwight

Attachments

• b carry 1.jpg
    b carry 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 39
  • b carry 2.jpg
    b carry 2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
  • b carry 4.jpg
    b carry 4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 32
I'm going to hazard a wild guess that Dwight55, who signs his name "Dwight," is the Dwight of Dwight's Gunleather, linked in his sig. ;)

Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much? I've tried them and even with a small gun no matter where I place the holster on my hip or how loose I left the part of the shirt that wasn't tucked in there was a huge obvious bulge.

I tried a crossbreed but ended up selling it. The only time I tuck in a shirt is at work or events like weddings or dinners. My dress shirts fit snug and would show a huge noticeable bulge no matter where on my belt I would wear it. My dress pants also fit snug and it was very uncomfortable. I wasn't about to ditch $500 suits for a larger pant size just to accommodate a holster, so its pocket carry for dressy occasions. Even for regular IWB I just found the crossbreed to be too much holster for the gun, it was pretty massive with the large leather backing.

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 1911 and XD9sc. USUALLY I don't tuck it in, just the style of clothing wore though. Whenever I've worn with a suit or needed to tuck, I do.

Back