Experiences with Palmetto State Armory

Have you had a negative experience in dealing with Palmetto State Armory?

• No. Everything was top notch

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Yes - Slow delivery time

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Yes - Ordered, but item was out of stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Item was not as shown/described

• Yes - Item was defective/blemishes

• Yes - Item was not to specifications (Commercial or Mil)

• Yes - Item was of poor quality (fit & finish, material, etc.)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Yes - Poor customer service

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Yes - Charged incorrect amount

• Yes - Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheFly

Background:
I was commenting in another thread http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480479 regarding the worst AR-15 manufacturers. In the thread, someone added Palmetto State Armory to the list. My one and only AR-15 is built using all parts bought from PSA (Complete upper and stripped lower). The poster mentioned some negatives about PSA that I was unaware of and unsure if they are generally true or over inflated.

Reason:
So I was wondering if I got lucky with my dealings with PSA, and if I would be pushing my luck to return to them for a second build. The person posting these things about PSA also commented that they were known to remove negative posts on ARFCOM, so I decided to conduct this poll here to see if I could get a feel for what people's experiences have been.

Instructions:
  1. Please only vote if you have had direct first hand experience with Palmettos State Armory
  2. If you select "No", please do not select any of the "Yes" items
  3. If you select "Yes - Other", please post what the "Other" issue was
  4. Please don't make this a bashing thread. I just want to find out if I had a typical or an exceptionally good experience with PSA
Thanks for playing!
Fly

Last edited:
I have dealt with them a number of times including parts and ammo. They have always been very professional and delivered in a timely manner. I have read of some problems with a few products and their customer service in response to those products but have never had any negative experiences with them. I see quality products at a great price.

PSA is a top-notch company in my experience.

I have shopped both of their stores in the Columbia area (the original off Farrow Rd and the new one on Fernandina Rd.) on many occasions, and their staff is always very helpful, despite the fact that the stores are always very busy.

I own a pair of PSA lower receiver build kits (one is one of the earlier Aero Precision-manufactured lowers and the other is the LW Schnieder version) and the quality and finish of both is excellent. Their lower parts kits are excellent - in fact, I believe their "standard" AR trigger is as good as any standard AR trigger I've ever encountered. I do not own one of their uppers, but have handled them on several occasions and the quality looks very good.

I won't hesitate to recommend PSA to anyone. They make a great product at a great price.

Fishbed77 said:
PSA is a top-notch company in my experience.

+1

I've placed two orders in the past eighteen months. Both arrived within ten days (east coast to west coast) and contained the correct items. Both orders were for barrels and assorted small parts, all gtg and the best price around.

I've read very few complaints, most all are about customer service. PSA is a high volume, low overhead company, I don't expect them to hire someone to sit at a phone station waiting for my call with questions. This is how they sell at rock bottom prices.;)

If you need to be hand held through the entire on-line purchasing experience, then go elsewhere.

I've done business with them in the past. I'll do business with them in the future. Compared to other suppliers I find them way above average.

I posted other so that I could see the results, I've read good things about them.

Some people would complain about a dog that poops gold nuggets.

PSA is a high volume, low overhead company, I don't expect them to hire someone to sit at a phone station waiting for my call with questions. This is how they sell at rock bottom prices.

I'm guessing the real reason they can sell at such low prices is their location - Columbia SC. Labor and the cost of living is pretty dang cheap here compared to the rest of the nation. It's got to be night and day compared to the manufacturers/companies located up north that have to deal with unions and other added entitlements.

Probably the same reason Spikes (in Florida) can sell such a such a great product at such a low price.

I had to wait a while on shipping but I'm okay with that. They make a good product at a good price. They have to save costs somewhere... I'll keep buying from them in the future.
IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

I'm guessing the real reason they can sell at such low prices is their location - Columbia SC. Labor and the cost of living is pretty dang cheap here compared to the rest of the nation. It's got to be night and day compared to the manufacturers/companies located up north that have to deal with unions and other added entitlements.

Probably the same reason Spikes (in Florida) can sell such a such a great product at such a low price.

Yep, that's it :)

Any gun MFR or heck, ANY MFR that wants to move to Northwest Florida gets to take advantage of a huge Retired Military Workforce...
low wages in comparison with the Northern Unionized States...$12 an hour is considered GOOD money!!
LOW property prices and taxes...off the beaches, anyway ;)
NO state income tax on workers...
and a lot of Hot Babes in Bikini's!!

What's not to Love?? :D

Oh, BTW...
Benefits of a Workforce with prior Military experience...
Attention to Detail...as in, we QC our own work.
We show up on Time...usually a little early.
We rarely call in sick unless hospitalized.
If we need an extra day off, we'll usually schedule it a month in advance...
We hold ourselves to a Higher Standard.
We don't really need the money due to our retirement, we're working for the FUN of it...keep us amused, we'll stay 'till we croak.
and we Police ourselves...any $#!tbags get culled quickly...
:D

Downside...
you will have increased Coffee consumption costs...but keeping us in B.A. Coffee keeps us happy.
Automatic coffeemaker that we can set to have a pot ready when we walk in the door is a serious PLUS!!

Last edited:
Palmetto State are top notch guys. The rifle I built is a PSA lower and LPK with a BCM upper and bcg.

I messed up when ordering the BCM parts and only ordered the upper and carrier with no bolt. So I drove down to Palmetto to see if I could get the parts I needed to finish my upper. When I got there they checked and said that all of their bolt parts were set aside so current orders could be filled. I was pretty bummed, but it wasn't their fault or problem. What I didn't know is that one of their builders had been walking by and heard my problem. He came out and asked to see my carrier. He then disappears for a few minutes and comes back with all the parts I needed. Needless to say I was pretty impressed. I told them that it was my own fault and that it wasn't even their carrier, but they bailed me out anyways. They definately get my business in the future.

^BigShrek, I've got about 7 years left and am trying to negotiate orders to PCola/PanamaCity/Tampa for my next tour with the idea of laying the groundwork for my post-retirement job. If there's an opening with a firearms company like "manager of our in-house bikini team", then I'd like to submit a resume. Please advise.

^^^^ I hope that isn't the old retired veteran bikini team :D

I bought LPK with magpul furniture and giessele (how ever you spell it) trigger and a laser engraved ejection port cover.

When I received the EPC it looked scratched like somebody stepped on it and it slid across the ground. I called CS that day to tell them my discontent and all the lady on the phone said was "Ugh, I have to tell them to stop doing that, you know the guys who work in the back... I'll have another one sent to you right away."

I asked if I needed to ship the scratched one back and she said it wasnt worth the postage and to just keep.

Not only did I get an extra EPC but I got a good laugh too, they'll get my business again.

I'm working in Cola tomorrow and plan to stop by and pick some stuff up. They are nice folks who always go out of their way every time I'm in there.

FWIW, every time Ive been in there its crazy. Theyre always having to pull one of the guys from the back to come help out up front. They keep the overhead to a minimum so the prices stay low. You can have it fast or inexpensive, not both.

No offense to anyone, but I'm not sure I'd want a firearm that was assembled by someone making $12/hour...

I live in Florida, and believe me, I appreciate what you're saying about the low wage scale here. But $12 hour someone assembling weaponry?

12 an hour is a decent wage in some parts of the country, probably more than the guy got to assemble the difibulator in your local hospital.

I built a rifle from their kit and a stripped lower. I voted -1 for the fit and finish.
nothing matched; finish was different in color and texture, fit was all over the place.
For a budget build I guess it's ok as in 'you get what you pay for'.
Functionality was fine, but when I spend almost $700 on a gun I don't want to have an eyesore.

que the 'guns are tools...' mantra in three, two, one....

I have had excellent experience with PSA. I;ve bought an Aimpoint, a 20" complete FN upper, and various ammo and accessories. Never a problem.

The only odd thing is they do not send much shipping notice, but the stuff always arrives fairly quickly and accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back