Experience with LaserLyte trainers?

reteach said:
It's sort of like dry firing, but with the added benefit of seeing where the laser hits. I do see immediately whether my laser dot hit the other objects.

eh...DMK is saying that seeing where the laser "hits" (with your own eyes and in real-time) isn't just "not as good" as an actual recorder - it's downright bad & counterproductive, so don't consider it "the added benefit". It's a point I made in the other thread as well.

Part of effective dry fire is training your visual cues, i.e. training your eyes and your mind to see and perceive what it needs to see when actually shooting. Training your eyes to see what they shouldn't isn't going to help your shooting in the long run. You simply won't be seeing what you need to see when you actually shoot your gun, and it'll show in your shooting.

For the record, there are some really top (and really fast) shooters who look at the target as they're shooting. Some people have interpreted this to mean that sights and sight picture aren't important. What these people don't seem to know is that these top shooters are also fully aware of their sight picture through their subconscious. This isn't the same as looking at a laser point and ignoring the sights. Being fully & subconsciously aware of your sight picture while looking at the target and making good 0.15sec splits is a highly advanced technique for a fairly specialized game.

MrBorland is the poster I was referring to above and is here, as well as in the other thread, exactly right.

Dry firing and using a laser trainer, are both simulations of actual firing. You are training your subconscious to perform a task as efficiently as possible through repetitive action (ie. training). If you are training using a different method, in this case looking over your sites to see the laser dot, then you are training with imperfect technique. When you shoot live fire, your subconscious will try to use that same imperfect technique that you were practicing in training (what folks like to call muscle memory).

380 laser

Im new here and really new to firearms. I now own a lcp 380 and 9mm m&p shield. Im wondering if a 380 laser will work in both guns since 380 and 9mm are the same diameter. I know 9mm is longer so prolly wouldnt work in 380 but the 380 being shorter but same diameter shoyld theoretically work in 9mm. Does anyone have a shield and 380 laser cartridge that theyve tried this in or any 9mm. Thanks for ur time and thoughts.

I doubt that will work. 380 is considerably shorter than 9mm, so the firing pin won't reach to activate the switch. Sorry.

Any chance youve tried it? Just seems to me if the firing pins hit at same location it would work. Only reason i question it is i have 1 guy telling me it will work n u dont think it will. He hasnt tried it. Trying to find an opinion by experience if there is one thanks

No, I don't own a 380 gun. But think about it. The 380 case is 2mm shorter than 9mm (9x17 vs 9x19). The cartridges both headspace on the case mouth. The firing pin in a 9mm gun will likely not hit the switch reliably if at all.

I would like to see someone test it though.

Besides the .380 being 2 mm shorter, there is also a slight taper to the case of the 9 mm. I seriously doubt it would work, unless it was sized just right for the .380 cartridge to catch on the extractor of the 9 mm pistol. That could happen, I suppose, if you were really lucky about the relative dimensions of the chamber and the laser cartridge. My luck isn't that good, but maybe yours is.

380 laser fit 9mm

My luck is never that good thats why i was hoping someone with the 380 laser would try it in their 9mm to see. And if it did work then id by 380 training laser but since i want it more for my 9mm i guess thats the caliber im gonna buy. Just hoping to kill 2 birds 1 stone

Laserlyte has three different versions, the rail mount, the trainer cartridge and the LT-Pre. The LT-Pre specs says: "The LT-PRE also fits nearly any revolver or semi-auto chambered in all of the most popular calibers: .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Sp., .357 Mag., .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45 LC, .45 ACP, or .50 AE. That's because instead of going into the chamber, it goes in the end of the barrel and it has an expanding bushing adaptor that can be adjusted for barrel width. Rather than being activated by the firing pin It is activated by the sound of the hammer or striker hitting. It does stick out of the end of the barrel a bit, but it seems like a nice solution for people with different calibers.

The LT-PRE also fits nearly any revolver or semi-auto... it goes in the end of the barrel and it has an expanding bushing adaptor that can be adjusted for barrel width. Rather than being activated by the firing pin It is activated by the sound of the hammer or striker hitting. It does stick out of the end of the barrel a bit, but it seems like a nice solution for people with different calibers.
I have one of those.

It does have a bushing that tightens and it will fit tight in the barrel. It is reliable and has it's uses, but doesn't always work that well for practicing drawing from concealment. Depending on how you carry and how you want to practice, it may work OK for you, or it may not.

Back