Expensive Handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the best you can afford - it is true you get what you pay for 99 times out of a 100.
I own and have owned several hand built 1911s. Costs ran as much as $2700 on one. Was it worth it? To me it was. I picked every single part that went on these pistols and ended up with exactly what I wanted. If its within your means, buy this way. You will never regret the $$.

I've also been fortunate to own several high quality rifles, like Cooper Arms, Kimber of Oregon... High quality workmanship, beautiful wood stocks... come at a cost but these types of guns will always be in demand.

There is a huge difference between a fully custom / semi-custom weapon and an off the shelf one! Reliability, accuracy, durability... will normally be better than mass produced firearms, and should be.

All that said, I'm just as comfortable carrying one of my $400 Glocks as I am with my P7M8 or custom 1911. Make sure your weapons work.

I think I may be able to contribute something in this thread. My personal carry gun is a Sig226. Why? It feels good in the hand, puts rounds where I want them, and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. i spent $800.00 on the damn thing. Could I have gotten a gun to fill my basic criteria. Maybe, but not in the fullness the Sig 226 does.

I also own a Bersa series 95 in .380acp. I chose this gun using the same criteria i used to buy the sig. Could I have spent double and gotten a PPK or a Sig232, yes but these guns did not fill my citeria as well as the Bersa.

I usually don't look at the price tag until i've had the opportunity to get a feel for the thing. Price is only the fourth or fifth priority on my list.

Right now Toyota is building the most reliable cars in America. What is my wife driving now? 1997 Toyota Camry. I buy the best I can afford. Probably the only the Mercedes makes a better car as far as reliability is concerned, but I can't afford a Mercedes. So Toyota it is. Are there cheaper cars? Yup, GM builds the "cheapest" cars around.

Don't make cost a major factor in your gun purchase just buy the best gun you can afford, just make sure it fills your needs to the tee.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Following are summary of the above, they sounds practical enough to consider.. but do they guaranty now the superiority and reliability of the product..would it solve now the question in mind, that expensive guns are really better in quality.
-Buy the Best Gun you could afford
-You pay for what you get
-Buy what feels and operates well for you
-Buy the best you can afford or think custom.
-If a lot of folks want HK as a favorite toy, HK price will be high, despite the fact that it's low cost of production does not justify such high resale price..
-I think because it's made in GERMANY...
-Price for handguns is set by the market,
as for any other product
-Anyway, price is not a real indicator...
-I judge the value of the individual gun on it's merits and worth.
-Cost always plays an important factor in consumer purchases..
-Reliability, accuracy, durability... will normally be better than mass produced firearms,...
-I usually don't look at the price tag until i've had the opportunity to get a feel for the thing. Price is only the fourth or fifth priority on my list.

In conclusion, if I can afford, I think I'll buy the most expensive gun and reliable for my delight, satisfaction and pride of ownership. Although it has the same purpose.

Thanks to all for the good ideas you have given.

Buy a Freedom Arms 454 if ya want quality, if you drive buy a HUMMER and put a CATAPILLAR in it, it will outlast all the toyotas and mercedes. Neither could be said to be the most practical, but practical was never metioned in the post. You might gather I'm not the most practical person and I drive my family nuts, (buy a new gun(s) and immediatly send them out for full refit and replacement parts.)

If it ain't a 45 it ain't s***

Doesn't seem to matter how much it costs; I always end up putting another grand in the blasted (pun) things.

Got some nice guns, though.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back