Expensive gear doesn't ensure a successful hunt

Hmmm. FirstFreedom's mulie gun looks a bit on the small size.

Once the velocity gets to 2400 fps, then the recoil is very severe. And at our maximum of 2581 fps, it is plain painful!
Those pantywaists! It's only 180 ft/lbs of recoil! :D

6. hand-made hunting knife (can't remember who makes it), about $1,200.00
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I take it that this dude has a lot of disposable income. ~$5000 on gear?

expensive stuff who needs that my cheap stuff does it just as good it is not the stuff you carry in your pack it is what you carry in your head:D :D :D

It is very true that one does not need the latest & greatest to be successfull. Just a few years ago, the Illinois record buck (for that year) was toppled with a .410 shotgun slug. This was an enormous whitetail buck that scored high. The young hunter was featured on the website operated by Tree Lounger Tree Stand Co.

I'm certain many experienced hunters would scoff at a .410 for serious deer hunting. Yet the fact remains that a single well placed slug did the job.

I know an oldtimer who dresses his deer and elk with a utility knife, the kind with replaceable blades. Cheap but effective!

CABELA'S stores are loaded with gear for sale. Interesting to look at but most of their stuff is just that-STUFF. One can have a ball with just a few critical items, the rest is just stuff.
Jack

I would have really enjoyed watching him shoot that 460 for the first time. Expensive equipment is nice if you can afford it. I wonder why he chose a 460 Weatherby for deer hunting? He planning on an African safari and this deer hunt was a warm up? I would have chuckled about a 375 H&H, but a 460 W... wow.

Oh yeah. And he also brought a revolver with him. .500 S&W. Brand new, stainless steel, and massive.

Never know when you might need a BUG!

Back