Expansion vs. size?

A larger bullet doesn't guarantee anything. A .45 calibre FMJ doesn't do anything a 9mm FMJ won't do. Neither does a .45 calibre HP. Then there's the simple physics of the whole thing.
"...the bullets were cold..." That means nothing. However, some powders are temperature sensitive.
"...the key factor is penetration..." Nope. It's penetrating enough and hitting a vital organ. A through and through penetrates but doesn't do much other than cause pain. If the bullet merely clips a vital organ or blood vessel, you have a different result.
"...rather not get shot with a hollow point..." You think a cast bullet would be better? Cast bullets tend to do far more damage than any jacketed bullet. Cast bullets tend to disintegrate, after expanding to basically flat upon impact with hard things.
"...store a gun in your vehicle..." That's an invitation to becoming the victim of a crime.

Never a fan of hollow points and find solids have greater penetration.

As others have said, shot placement is number one.

BTW, vehicles can be stolen and/or broken into. Not a good place to store a gun.

Your house can be broken into also. There are many scenarios where storing in a vehicle is ok, particularly in more rural areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A larger bullet doesn't guarantee anything. A .45 calibre FMJ doesn't do anything a 9mm FMJ won't do. Neither does a .45 calibre HP. Then there's the simple physics of the whole thing.

"...the bullets were cold..." That means nothing. However, some powders are temperature sensitive.

"...the key factor is penetration..." Nope. It's penetrating enough and hitting a vital organ. A through and through penetrates but doesn't do much other than cause pain. If the bullet merely clips a vital organ or blood vessel, you have a different result.

"...rather not get shot with a hollow point..." You think a cast bullet would be better? Cast bullets tend to do far more damage than any jacketed bullet. Cast bullets tend to disintegrate, after expanding to basically flat upon impact with hard things.

"...store a gun in your vehicle..." That's an invitation to becoming the victim of a crime.

I'm not sure if you have ever cast bullets or not, or if you simply have never shot any game with cast bullets.

Also, I seriously doubt all of these LEOs would be carrying expanding bullets, if it didn't make a difference.

Remember the mantra of the 9mm: "With modern ammunition (reads reliably expanding projectiles), the 9mm is just as effective as ..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...the key factor is penetration..." Nope. It's penetrating enough and hitting a vital organ * * *

Which is what I said, but you didn't bother to read. :rolleyes:

If the bullet merely clips a vital organ or blood vessel, you have a different result.

Not necessarily, and certainly not as opposed to a smaller-diameter bullet that doesn't strike, or partially strike, a vital organ at all.

Or, worse, it underpenetrates, which means the smaller projectile doesn't even get on the "field of terminal play," but is resigned to simply watching from the bleachers with the band.

Go 'Bama'!

Back