Expansion vs. size?

nanney1

Another newbie question. Just throwing this out off the top of my head as I read more and more....

From what I've read, you can't always count on expansion. And if you store a gun in your vehicle, cold weather can also have an effect on whether or not you get expansion.

So, here's the actual question: If you can't always count on expansion in a self defense situation, shouldn't there be a consideration of using a larger bullet?

Nanny1 you will soon find out that this topic is one that stirs passion in some, and everyone has an opinion.

For me 9 mm is my choice for self-defense. I use high quality ammo that I am confident will expand, and the lower recoil allows me to be faster and more accurate with follow-up shots. Another benefit is higher capacity vs a larger round.

Statistically there is little difference in 9 mm, .40, and .45 in defensive use. Choose the one you shoot the best is good advice, given by many professionals.

Penetration and placement are the key. The difference between a 35 caliber hole and a 45 caliber hole is insignificant. Doesn't matter if they expand or not.

Doesn't matter if they expand or not.

The few billion $ worth of hollowpoints made and sold over the last 40 years tells me somebody thinks it's important...:rolleyes:

My signature line sums up the rest of my feelings on this matter..;)

The difference between a 35 caliber hole and a 45 caliber hole is insignificant. Doesn't matter if they expand or not.

Depends on where you hit them. When I was working Patrol in the projects I saw lots of people shot. The 357 magnum was legendary for a reason.

If you store your gun in your vehicle you are not very smart.
I can't carry at work. So, it has to stay in the vehicle. If I could carry at work, then I wouldn't store it there.

Also, I see the term "truck gun" thrown around a lot as an extra gun to have. Are these not stored in vehicles?

Just curious if you could expand on your definition of not smart?

expand

Never a fan of hollow points and find solids have greater penetration.

As others have said, shot placement is number one.

BTW, vehicles can be stolen and/or broken into. Not a good place to store a gun.

Anytime I enter a building where metal detectors are used and firearms prohibited, I "store" my handgun in my truck. Ammo.crafter houses are broken into and guns stolen as well. There are times when a vehicle is the best you can do for storage. I don't worry to too much about it.

nanny1 you will soon find that you take what you can use here, and ignore the rest. Good luck.

I remember reading an article on hollow point handgun bullets , when testing with heavy clothing , coats / winter clothing , the hollow point bullets would get bogged down in the material being less effective then a round nose bullet .

Where did you hear that cold weather affects expansion? Unless you are talking about sub-zero temperatures, it doesn't.
Using good hollow-point ammunition is always a plus, but shot placement is of paramount importance.

Where did you hear that cold weather affects expansion? Unless you are talking about sub-zero temperatures, it doesn't.
Using good hollow-point ammunition is always a plus, but shot placement is of paramount importance.
Was reading a penetration test and the tester mentioned that the bullets were cold and could have had an effect. So, he re-tested with rounds that had not been stored in a cold environment. I had not heard or read that before. Glad to hear that it isn't an issue.

Was reading a penetration test and the tester mentioned that the bullets were cold and could have had an effect. So, he re-tested with rounds that had not been stored in a cold environment. I had not heard or read that before. Glad to hear that it isn't an issue.

I have lived in North Dakota for 20 years. I worked LE and hunted, bullets work just fine @ -40.

Size matters as evidenced by all the tech applied to make bullets expand.
I prefer a bullet diameter starting with a "4"

* * * If you can't always count on expansion in a self defense situation, shouldn't there be a consideration of using a larger bullet?

In a gunfight, the edge always goes to the larger projectile since nothing guarantees expansion, or the degree of expansion, and a larger bullet might strike a vital organ, even partially so, that a smaller bullet could miss.

And in successfully terminating hostilities, the key factor is penetration because even a small bullet that properly expands will be ineffective if it doesn't penetrate enough to hit vital organs, especially those in the upper thoracic region.

And yes, as between competing calibers, all of the above commentary assumes "proper shot-placement," so don't even go there. :rolleyes:

Size-wise, gunfights are actually the opposite of fistfights. "Large & heavy" projectiles, properly placed, generally convey better terminal benefits, whereas with humans "large & heavy" ain't necessarily an advantage.

;)

Think about this:
Exactly how much difference do you actually think a few thousandths of an inch make?
In the overall scope of things, not very much in reality.
Seriously- THINK about it.

Yes, I want bigger too, but is it really that much of an advantage?

Back