Exotic bullets?

Old Stony

I shot this guy about 6:00 last night....not a big deal, but I've been thinking about bullet selections and some of the posts about them on this forum. I have killed hogs with a lot of calibers, anywhere from .22 subsonic suppressed loads for hogs in a trap, to 45/70's for them in the wild. I read about all the opinions of guys that think you need specialty bullets and large calibers to do the job, but one of my favorites for night hunting is a plain old 55 gr. fmj such as the Winchester white box stuff I used last night.
I occasionally pick up a .308 to take with me....or whatever other rifle is laying handy, but no matter what.....bullet placement seems to be the key. I put the bullet directly through the shoulder and they drop on the spot. I've shot them this way with 44/40's and whatever with no problems. I just think as long as you hit the boiler room they are done for.
A lot of the armchair hunters come up with interesting theories, but guys that hunt hogs on a regular basis I think can debunk some of the theories of needing exotic bullets to do the job on a hog.
Last night's hog was the 455th hog I have taken off of this particular property in the past 5 years, so I think I can talk with some degree of experience. I hunt about every day throughout the year and occasionally shoot hogs off of other properties, but I don't keep track of their numbers as I have been on a quest to top the 500 mark from the main property I hunt.
I guess what I am saying here, is don't worry so much about caliber (within reason) and concentrate on bullet placement.

Stony managed to endur another visit by my Westie, Maddie, and me in Sept. I am one of those guys who feels if you drive 2200 miles to see a friend he should not mind housing, feeding, and providing the best Texas Hog Hunting for a month or so at a time. Last Sept we were on one of our evening (hour before dark until 11-12 o'clock) hog hunts and I encountered Spot, the ugliest, biggest and stinkiest one around. One shot through the shoulder took out internals and he went about 60 yards before sliding into a 350# pile of dead hog.
My exotic rifle was a gift from Stony...an AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout, I shot a reload with 125 gr Sierra TNT and 17 gr. H110. That little hollowpoint did not concern it'self with shields and put that big guy down...pronto ! I would post a photo of Spot if I had the least understanding of the photo process (which I do not) but he was BIG.

personally, I do not follow a train of thought that claims anything special is needed for medium game. use bonded bullets in handgun calibers because non- bonded pretty much explode on contact(or at least the sierra JHPs I tested did). I used SSTs on my deer this year because it came preloaded and I really didn't feel like working up yet another hunting load for my 6.5 grendel this year. I did work up uberpremium bonded, laser guided, phased plasma accubonds foor my black bear last year and it split in half and traveled in two 90 degree angles from impact. I would have likely been just as well served with a hornady spire point or something similar.

for elk however I hunt with bonded bullets as you really do want a great deal of weight retention, and by extension penetration.

People darn near wiped out deer and other game in this country with lead bullets. People have killed millions of deer with generic bullets (Winchester Power Point, Remington Core-Lokt, Federal Hi-Shock, etc). Those animals didn't know they weren't supposed to lie down and expire, they just did. Doesn't take a magic bullet, just takes a bullet to the right place.

Agreed it baffles me, the number of people that will run out and buy the latest and greatest Bullet or factory loaded rounds at over 2 dollars per shot. Thinking it's the cats meow. I can't tell you how many deer I've sent to the UPPA Room with that 17 dollar a box of ammo. On another note a plain lead projectile will get it done. Jacketed bullets have not been around that long.

I shoot premium bullets at deer because I want premium results. Premium has its place, pigs aren't one of those places. I'd shoot a pig in the ass with a BB gun if I thought it would get gangrene and die.

I've had a standard cup and core bullet fail and almost lost an animal because of it. 30-06, 180 grain SBT on an antelope at approximately 175 yards. Bullet entered the shoulder, hit the bone hard enough to break it, then turned 90 degrees and exited. A large explosion of dust at the animals hoof and it limping out of site had me and my three companions convinced I had just shot it in the foot, something I could not believe as my rest was steady and felt my aim was true. After a couple of hours of tracking and stalking I was able to harvest the antelope and while skinning I found what the bullet had done.

The chances that would ever happen to me again are probably very remote but none the less it convinced me to spend the extra money for premium bullets.

I've had a standard cup and core bullet fail and almost lost an animal because of it. 30-06, 180 grain SBT on an antelope at approximately 175 yards. Bullet entered the shoulder, hit the bone hard enough to break it, then turned 90 degrees and exited. A large explosion of dust at the animals hoof and it limping out of site had me and my three companions convinced I had just shot it in the foot, something I could not believe as my rest was steady and felt my aim was true. After a couple of hours of tracking and stalking I was able to harvest the antelope and while skinning I found what the bullet had done.

The chances that would ever happen to me again are probably very remote but none the less it convinced me to spend the extra money for premium bullets.

+1 on that. I spend way to much time and money on the rest of my gear, guns, optics, clothing etc., to skimp a little on a bullet for the actual taking of the game. Premium bullets don't fail with the frequency of cheaper bullets. Sure CorLocts and similar have taken tons of game, they've also failed on tons of game. IMO, the more steps I take to reduce the chances of failure the more success I will have.

On my hunt club, we've had three deer in the last two seasons that have been mortally wounded but the bullet failed similar to your experience. Unlike an open woods or plains setting, when a deer here hits the swamp or thickets, it can be extremely tough to recover even with the help of a dog. Those three instances all had one thing in common, cheap CorLocts or Winchester Silvertip bullets.

Why do I use Sierra bullets? Because I like the green color of the box, that's why. :D Since I always have been able to get sub-MOA groups and because I've had 95% DRT kills, I've stayed with the little doofers. That way, I don't have to think.

A lot of the armchair hunters come up with interesting theories, but guys that hunt hogs on a regular basis I think can debunk some of the theories of needing exotic bullets to do the job on a hog.

Oh, there are a lot of myths associated with hogs and hog hunting, no doubt. But also no doubt is that a lot of us would love to find a better round. I was using FMJ on hogs until the landowner of one of the properties where I hunted told me that he would prefer I not use FMJ. I didn't argue. So now I use fairly standard hunting rounds, nothing fancy, just not FMJ.

Hogs ARE tough, especially when you don't shoot them right. Strangely, deer can be awfully tough when you don't shoot them right.

There is nothing wrong with wanted something better. We would all like to make more efficient, more ethical kills. The problem is folks that are apt to believe the bizarre claims of super amazing terminal performance.

As far as price and such, given all my other costs with hunting, ammo is about the least expensive part of my hunt. I certainly don't want to pay $10 a round, but even at that price, compared to fuel, food, drink, corn, etc., it would be a small relative cost.

The important thing is that we all find what works well for us...and we all have different ideas of what we want, like, and prefer to use. It doesn't matter if some folks are using gee-whiz ammo or paying $10 a round. That is their business. If they can make ethical kills, I don't care what ammo they are using, what it is called, premium or cheap, or how much they paid.

"The important thing is that we all find what works well for us...and we all have different ideas of what we want, like, and prefer to use."

Very true. What has long puzzled me is the notion of many people about "need" or "must have", in the face of the success of many, many other people who have regularly and successfully used "lesser" equipment.

Very true. What has long puzzled me is the notion of many people about "need" or "must have", in the face of the success of many, many other people who have regularly and successfully used "lesser" equipment.

To be honest I have for the most part always used C&C type bullets. They work and they work well under the proper use. In "most" cases, you put the bullet where it should go, and things go down. Thinking a C&C or even a mono metal bullet, will make up for poor shot placement though is simply a fallacy.

Over the past 10-15yrs not only deer but other animals have gone from being docile forest dwellers to modified armor plated creatures of doom. According to some you might as well use depleted uranium if you even want a slight chance to slow them down.

I was brought up to make a good shot and be done with it. Not shoot things in the rear, or a raking shot, but simply put the bullet in the boiler works and get to skinning. As I grew older I found that this posed a few issues, sometimes you don't get that boiler room shot and you miss out on your shot. I learned through my own experience, it is MUCH better to go this route than to spend several hours tracking and possibly not finding the animal.

So I began to seriously study the anatomy of the deer and other critters I hunted to better enable me to make a killing shot without having that direct broadside. I however DO still put the shot through that area and I respect my pop for teaching me the way he did. I now will take a shot that I can put the bullet through from several directions that still enable me to transect the vitals such as quartering to or away from me. I do not however attempt anything that will not let me see a path from behind one shoulder and out in front of the other or the other way around. I also know that within about 3" of behind most deer shoulders is the diaphragm and paunch, and I will never intentionally make a shot that drives a bullet through there. Just not my style, I don't like the mess nor the usual resulting second shot to finish something off. Even when I went to CO for Mule Deer and Elk I would rather have come home empty handed than to make a shot that wasn't what I wanted to take. Putting something like that in a questionable scenario just doesn't compute.

I have shot hundreds of hogs, and deer in my 40 something years of hunting. I have used about every type of "premium" bullets made at one time or another, and in the end I am right back to square one. Just put them where they should go and the standard old fashion C&C bullets work and work every time. Yes you might have one lose the core, but on the flip side you might have one of the "premium" type not expand at all, or shed it's petals, both of which I have experienced more than I cared for.

One other thing that many fail to take into consideration is the impact velocity of the bullets they are using and this also plays a major role in what the end performance is. Run a standard C&C bullets into something at 3000fps or so, and your asking for a separated core. Run a mono metal type bullet into something at 2300fps or less and your going to be lacking in expansion. Shoulder blades on angled shots will drastically change the angle of the bullets path, as such I stay away form them. In front of or behind, I have never had an issue.

The one thing that no matter which type bullet or brand name you use, that you cannot control is that once it leaves the barrel all bets are off. It is going to do, what ever it does when it gets there, right, wrong, or somewhere in between. The best bet you can lay down is to put it where it should be in the first place.

Sure, but I could not find a pic to show the bullets he uses.

I was just substantiating your quote...
What has long puzzled me is the notion of many people about "need" or "must have", in the face of the success of many, many other people who have regularly and successfully used "lesser" equipment.

Not only does he not use premium bullets, he doesn't even use commercial bullets.

"I shoot premium bullets at deer because I want premium results. Premium has its place, pigs aren't one of those places. I'd shoot a pig in the ass with a BB gun if I thought it would get gangrene and die. "

lol--one of the best quotes I've ever read here. thanks.

I will mostly shoot standard or upper standard bullets unless I am going to use a small caliber (.224) or step up velocity to something like a 7 Mag, or possibly play with a light for caliber bullet, those will generally be something like TSX because they seem to thrive on the extra speed and work well for me.

I've shot two large boars in the last 5 days using the .223 Winchester fmj white box stuff. I loaded up the mag two boars ago and still have 18 more pigs worth of ammo in it.
Just for something different, I am working up loads for a new Savage model 16 I recently bought in .308 and I think I might have to put a night vision on it. i tried loading some 150 core locs just because I had a few hundred of them, but they just won't group out of it. I think 165 Sierras next maybe.

I've gone full circle on game bullets. I tried several premium bullets & they shoot great & have work fine on game. As a matter of fact they work just as well as my jacket/lead core bullets from Speer & Sierra. So I went back to my jacketed/lead core & shoot the same bullet for target, plinking & game animals. Just makes sense.

As for hogs, we only shoot for the head/neck on hogs, so just about any hit with anything is DRT. If you miss, you can usually shoot again or the dumb ol' hog will come back. If not, there will be another along shortly.

FWIW...

...bug

Back