Excellent blog on the importance of guns

Do you see the implications that Sean Taylor's murder was just another instance of black on black crime? I've bolded it for you.

Well, I don't. The only implication there is that the crimes might be related, or that maybe what goes around does come around sometimes. And that is only if the individual reader chooses to view it that way. I would have assumed it was a "you may remember him from when he..." kind of statement, but I'd have to ask the author of the article to know for sure.

How is black on black crime implied in the article you linked? I didn't see any references to race or implications that race might in some way be related.

Then there is this:
Quote:
More than 70 million responsible tax-paying citizens own more than 200 million guns in this country. Let me make that number a little more meaningful: If you stand in front of your house and look at the house to the immediate left and right, there's an almost 100% chance that one of these three abodes has at least one gun inside.

I don't think there's a formal definition for the above babble. I'll just call it, "playing the stats game." The 70 mil and 200 mil numbers, while true, do not work as premises to the conclusion. The unstated premise is the assumption that the 70 million citizens, who own guns, are distributed evenly across every part of this country. 1 out of every 3 citizens in Alaska, 1 out of every 3 in Wyoming, and 1 out of every 3 in San Francisco. That's just... well, stupid.

I would think you would be smart enough to see that this is nothing more than attempt to get people to visualize how many guns there are in the US. Since your previous posts lead me to believe you are smart enough to see that, I guess you where just assuming that no one reading this would be smart enough to figure it out but you, leaving you free to make your underclassed opponent in this little tiff look like a fool? There is, in fact,
an almost 100% chance that one of these three abodes has at least one gun inside.
. The key word here is 'chance.' The premise is stated as a probability that anyone with the slightest knowledge of mathematics will know does not always translate to the real world. But it doesn't have to because the statement is what you call a thought experiment.

Going back a little further:
Many gun accidents involve the gun being transported from one location to another. Swimming pools suffer from a tendency of being cemented into the ground.

And yet swimming pools still kill more people. So, as he said before, where should the focus be placed, on pools or guns? The anti arguement is: guns cause a lot of death, so guns should be made to go away. The obvious response to this is: pools cause more death, so why shouldn't they be made to go away as well. The idea is to point out how absurd getting rid of all the guns would be by equating them to pools.

I know, it doesn't really matter. But that's not the point. I know guns are legal, and should remain so (with a few less restrictions, in my opinion), because the right to keep and bear arms is a right that is protected by the Second Amendment. Like I said, I know that, but it's not the point. The point is convincing people in a democratic republic that it should remain so. And some of those people don't care that it's a right (or don't think it is) and would gladly trample it even more than they do now if all protections where removed. Having a right is one thing, being able to exercise it is something else entirely. Without the legal protection to exercise a right, having it becomes a moot point. Then all that is left is the decision to live without exercising it, or to fight (either through the legal system of a corrupt government and society or physically) in order to form a new govenment and legal system in which the right it protected.

You're still dodging, applesanity, and still making my points. I see your argument and I have to admit that anything's possible when you don't know what your talking about. Red Herring or Red Green you're still diverting the discussion to examples you brought up that have nothing whatsoever to do with the points raised in the blog or by me thus yourself personifying the definition of your Latin citation about irrelevancies: an ignorance of logic.

As far as Taylor is concerned, you're still pretending to discuss using points you brought up that were not in the blog or were at best only distantly connected to the blog. The blog's issues remain untouched by what wit you've brought to bear. That's the straw dog part, arguments you set up (unrelated to the blog) that you then proceed to destroy. Look it up, in English even. If I had meant Straw Man, I would have written it.

If you want to spout Latin you don't understand and bring in unrelated examples to disprove statements you made up, feel free. I'll play as long as you can remain focused on discussing the merits of the blog. Continue to bloviate on your own unrelated issues and you'll have only yourself for company as far I'm concerned.

(jeez, rampage841512, "Underclassed"?)

We all know the Schumers and Feinsteins of the world will always have their carry permits or their armed bodyguards, the subtext is that no reason for gun ownership is legitimate if you're one of the little people.

It is pretty obvious that one of the big selling points of gun control is and always has been that Elmer Fudd can keep his ol' double barrel. There is no straw man there, you just wanted there to be one.

The blogger is saying that guns aren't all about hunting - self-defense is is another pupose. The typical anti's counter is that accidental deaths + minor altercations turning into shootouts at the OK corral outweigh any benefits of self defense. The counter doesn't, however, take self defense out of the equation. You pointed out that Feinstein has a CCW (in the state of California of all places - due to her not being one of the little people.) Again, self defense is still acknowledged. Had the blogger discussed the issue of little people versus Schumer, Daley, Boxer, et al, then your argument would count. However, the blogger denied such distinctions with the comment about Judges with CCW listening to self-defense cases. If anything, you've only shown that the blogger's arguments are insufficient.

And that's the problem. Many of blogger's arguments are weak. Using weak arguments to support any cause, no matter how right or sound, is still weak. I don't think the blogger deserves a free pass just because I agree with the overall conclusion that private ownership of firearms is a fundamental right.

We may as well start discussing what the blogger meant versus wrote, or what's really in the hearts and minds of the anti's. Sure. It's not as clear cut as I initially made out to be. But that's just one quote so far that you pulled against me. Are you going to defend the monarchy argument, or the 1 out of 3 talk

Speaking of straw man, your example re: nukes would have been better had you pointed out that it is both a straw man and a case of reductio ad absurdam.

Why thank you, I missed that one.

You might also have mentioned that people who use that fallacy do more to make a spectacle of themselves than to lend any credibility to the anti-gun credo. Now, back on track.

Likewise, people who use such fallacies when defending the pro-gun credo also lose credibility and make spectacles.

So maybe you didn't see any specific references where the media has called for gun control as a result of the Sean Taylor case. So what?

It is a valid point as it addresses:

blogger said:
...the situation was the talk of the town here in Washington, D.C. where guns are already an ongoing topic of conversation.... We are going to hear a lot about guns in the next few months

But see there was no talk, with the blogger's implication that the talk was going to be anti-gun. Like I said, the talk was about the tragedy itself, the effect on the Redskins, and black-on-black crime. So I'm going to Google sean taylor gun control, and surpise - out of the first five, two link to a Lou Pratt article against gun control, one blog for gun control, one story worrying that Sean Taylor's death might be used to further gun control causes, and one blog against gun control. As for news items - none. Zero. The media seems to have skipped out on this one. You will have to consider this fact when you try to defend the "TV + news form surburban Lifetime mom's opinions" scenario.

4 against gun control, 1 for, in this little "dredging" expedition. Turns out the blogger's predictions went opposite. A comment from one of the links said,

One thing's for sure: You can never underestimate politicians' ability to exploit private tragedy for public gain.

Yet we have the blogger exploiting Sean Taylor's death for the sake of his arguments. Doesn't that just irk you?

an incident doesn't have to pass all of applesanity's logic tests to be used by anti gunners.

Of course not. But your argument applies equally to pro-gunner claims that fail logic.

One of the core claims of anti gunners is: "we must ban or strictly regulate guns because they cause so many deaths". Hmm, let's think about that.

Swimming pools are regulated. Like I said earlier, in many instances you have to submit forms to your county and get the (hopefully) thumbs up from the neighbors, thereby acknowledging that you're gonna be the owner of swimming pool. As for cars, you have to get a driver's license if you want that car to leave your driveway with you driving it. You also have to register for some car insurance too. Hmm, swimming pools are dangerous, and are de facto registered. Cars are dangerous, and they are de jure + facto registered. Guns are dangerous; why don't we go ahead and register those things too, along with some state-mandated insurance?

As for tobacco analogies - those cigarette corporations got their pants sued off for "causing needless deaths." Maybe we should sue the Smith & Wesson. Ultimately, if one is going draw such analogies, one should be prepared to take them all the way, or to reductio ad absurdem, if you will.

just pointing out, rather obliquely, that they've been caught in a hypocrisy trap.

Hypocrisy undermines credibility, but it does not work as an argument in and of itself. Tu quoque arguments are used all the time to point out hypocrisy, but it almost never equates to the actual argument being refuted.

Just pretend for sake of argument that I'm a suburban mom who has no idea of Sean Taylor's race and no knowledge of his sports career.

This scenario is so narrow that you're inevitably going to render yourself right, given all the constraints you put on it. By the way, who watches Lifetime? Such a depressing channel.

The only implication there is that the crimes might be related, or that maybe what goes around does come around sometimes.

basically, the definition of black-on-black crime.

The premise is stated as a probability that anyone with the slightest knowledge of mathematics will know does not always translate to the real world. But it doesn't have to because the statement is what you call a thought experiment.

(Ignoring the fact that 70 million gunowners in a nation of ~300 million Americans does not add up to the math for the 1 for 3 "thought experiment"... thereby rendering the thought experiment flawed from the start.)

Here's a thought experiment on that 1 out of 3 thought experiment, more applicable to the real world: Imagine there are 300 million living the US. 50 million people, all gunowners, live in the state of "Glockland." 50 million, all non-gunowners, live in the sate of "Hashbury." Finally, the majority, or remaining 200 million, live in "Fencesitter," where only 1 in 4 own a gun(s). Sounds reasonable, yeah? At least more reasonable than an equal distribution of gunowners everywhere. 50 million gunowners in Glockland + 50 mil in Fencesitter = 100, which is one out of every three.

Let's use the same constraints as the blogger's thought experiment. 1) these people live equally distributed within their own states. 2) all the streets in all 3 states are all circles, so that everyone everywhere has a left neighbor and a right neighbor; nobody lives on a corner.

If you live in Glockland, there's a 100% chance you and/or your neighbor is a gun owner. If you live in Hashbury, there's a 0% chance. If you live in Fencesitter, there's a 75% chance. 100% from 50, 0% from 50, and 75% from 200. If you're randomly picked out of this 300 million, there's only a 67% chance you are or are living next to a gunowner. Not 100%.

Or maybe I'm just picking distributions that suit my needs? (isn't that what the blogger is doing?) Fine, have the country be 100 million Glockland and 200 million Hashbury. Then the "chance" comes down to 33%. Or you can move everyone to Fencesitter as the blogger did (consequently fixing the ratio at 1:3): only then is the "chance" at 100%. But if you take the thought experiment as a series of linear expressions from a low of 33 to a high of 100 (what the blogger should have done), you have approximately 67%. Hardly a 100% chance.

At any rate, the thought experiment as expressly and implicitly defined by the blogger (70 million, equally distributed into a country of ~300 million), a sampling of any 3 yields about 70% chance that at least one is a gunowner. Not 100%. I've argued that the thought experiment doesn't really work in reality because gunowners are not at all evenly distributed everywhere. Now hopefully, you see the thought experiment doesn't even work in principle.

I would think you would be smart enough to see that this is nothing more than attempt to get people to visualize how many guns there are in the US.

But really, it's playing playing the stats game (this time with some bad math on the blogger's side.) The number rule of reporting stats is that - with correct numbers - you can still make charts and conclusions and "thought experiments" say anything you want them to, without fibbing.

Have you read the Ron Paul thread? The OP said that 23% of Republican primary voters belong in the the anyone-but-McCain category. Using the same numbers, I showed that 96% of Pennsylvania primary voters belong in the anyone-but-Ron-Paul category. See? Both truthful, but both telling you different things.

You're still dodging, applesanity, and still making my points.

Let's talk about your points. But first the chain of arguments.

Blogger says that Sean Taylor's death is going to start talk about gun control.

I said nope, Sean Taylor's death turned into discussion about the tragedy itself, its effect on the Redskins, and black on black crime, the latter hinting of racism. Additionally, it's wrong to exploit his death to further an unrelated cause.

You said,
5Wire said:
Black on black crime is not "supposed" and it's not racist to actually recognize it's a fact

Who's dodging?

As for talk of swimming pools, the analogies fail because few of you are willing to take them to their logical ends. The flaw of comparing two things related only in that people die from them just opens up a whole can of errors.

If it's about causing needless deaths, then... Asbestos has caused many needless deaths; it's banned. Maybe guns should be banned? Bombing over civilian populations has caused needless deaths, it's banned by the Geneva Convention.

But if it's about how swimming pools aren't banned, then they are still regulated via building codes, local ordinances, and de facto registration with the county and your neighbors. Should guns be registered? Should local ordinances be used to determine whether you're allowed to own a gun?

If you're going to talk about guns, then talk about guns. Don't talk about swimming pools. Don't parade around Sean Taylor's murder.

Seriously, did I strike a nerve here? Are there that many on TFL who are so enamored, so blindly devoted with unquestioning servitude to RKBA that any and all arguments - no matter how flawed, wrong, or made at expense of rights #1 and #3-10 - are okay in their hearts and minds, so long as it's pro-gun?

The typical anti's counter is that accidental deaths + minor altercations turning into shootouts at the OK corral outweigh any benefits of self defense. The counter doesn't, however, take self defense out of the equation

They quite persistently try to take it out of the equation. The only reason it still is in there is because some of us stubbornly insist that nobody has the right to force us into a situation where the whim of another decides if we live or die.

Sometimes the anti's still succeed in getting self defense out of the official equation. I mentioned Britain. How about Chicago, DC, and NY. They made sure self defense was out of the equation. They spelled it out: self protection not a sufficient reason for a gun permit.

But see there was no talk, with the blogger's implication that the talk was going to be anti-gun...

...You will have to consider this fact when you try to defend the "TV + news form surburban Lifetime mom's opinions" scenario.

Not really, that scenario plays out every day. What's a busy suburban mom to do when there's no time to read history. ;)

But that's just one quote so far that you pulled against me. Are you going to defend the monarchy argument, or the 1 out of 3 talk

Hmm, the blogger's monarchy quote was a little thin, but not entirely out of place. I take it he was trying to make the point that gun control seems to be a hot issue when Presidential elections are coming up, but that isn't the only time it's important. He is implying that a lot of Americans act as if they think the President makes the gun laws and so should be our focus. Given that so many are ignorant of how our political system works, he might be on to something.

The 1 out of 3 talk might have been a little thin for the reasons you state, but I don't think it warrants outrage. It wasn't what I'd call absurd, and not in the same league as the "40 zillion times more likely to get shot with your own gun" or whatever falsity the anti's are touting at the moment.

However, the blogger denied such distinctions with the comment about Judges with CCW listening to self-defense cases. If anything, you've only shown that the blogger's arguments are insufficient

I don't know, seems to me he covered a lot of major points including that one, notice the part about people not affording their own security systems.

I guess I still don't know what riles you so about his article, given that the guy doesnt come off as a loon or a hater. To be honest, I'm sensing more than a bit of Devil's Advocate in your posts.

They quite persistently try to take it out of the equation. The only reason it still is in there is because some of us stubbornly insist that nobody has the right to force us into a situation where the whim of another decides if we live or die.

I'll concede this one. It's only unfortunate that you argued the blogger's claim better than than the blogger him/herself.

What's a busy suburban mom to do when there's no time to read history.

If every suburban mom felt that away about gun control, then I'd really doubt that 70 million Americans own guns. (Or maybe it's just the hubbies and the missus don't know. Maybe the hubbies should provide for the missus some form of entertainment other than Lifetime.)

I take it he was trying to make the point that

Again, you're arguing the point better than the blogger. It's what I've been saying all along. I will always defend my gunowning rights, but I steer away from using bad or flawed arguments. The blogger's fundamental conclusion that citizens have the right to own guns is fine by me. I never said it wasn't. It's how he/she goes about it that irks me.

Given that so many are ignorant of how our political system works,

A study was done sampling a bunch of Americans; only 1 in 1000 could identify all 5 rights guarenteed by the 1st amendment.

"40 zillion times more likely to get shot with your own gun"

Chances are, the claim you're alluding to is probably true. It's just how the statistics are presented and what set of strange constraints it chooses to to ignore. Likewise, I get suspicious whenever a pro-gunner reports stats into scenarios and thought experiments. For every stat I can dish out for guns, an anti can dish one back. Using stats don't work. John Lott knows that very well.

I guess I still don't know what riles you so about his article, given that the guy doesnt come off as a loon or a hater.

Like I said, he's using Sean Taylor's death to launch and conclude his pro-gun article. No, he's not a loon or hater, but he sounds like someone spitting back facts from those mass emails that pop up every now and then on TFL. Is the next blog going to be about how the Jews got sent to concentration camps, but only after the Nazis banned guns?

I really liked Sean Taylor. DC (a fanatical football town) loved Sean Taylor. Since I am of Redskins "nation," I got to experience first hand all the talk about his murder. None, or insignificantly little, was about gun control. Then I showed that my personal experience was pretty much the same is the experience you got off the Internet. But that's besides the point. Antis exploit tragic deaths to further gun control causes. Fine. Pro gunners should not follow suit.

Blogger says that Sean Taylor's death is going to start talk about gun control.
No, the blogger referred to the Heller case going before the Supreme Court and that talk of gun control was already going on and would continue. You made the inference that the 'situation' the blogger referred to was gun control because of Taylor. It wasn't, it was Taylor's critical condition that was the 'talk of the town' in the blogger's experience in that town, pretty much in agreement with what you said the talk of the town was. Gun control was simply the blogger's reference to awareness in D.C. generated by Heller. It was a blog, not a master's thesis. However unliterary the blogger, was just a way to the topic of gun control.

As for talk of swimming pools, the analogies fail because few of you are willing to take them to their logical ends. The flaw of comparing two things related only in that people die from them just opens up a whole can of errors.

Speaking of analogies, errors don't come in cans and comparisons among various causes of death is not analogy. The logical ends of being dead is being dead. Preventing accidental death and injury is a goal no matter where you apply the effort. The blogger's point is simple, even obvious: pools, motor vehicles, etc. are demonstrably more frequent means of accidental deaths than firearms. Yet the social/civic/political emphasis is on firearms. That's it. That's a fact, irrational in the blogger's take, but a fact nonetheless.

Firearms are much more regulated than swimming pools. In some states guns are registered. No one is talking about banning swimming pools. That was you, again with a Straw Dog argument. A false analogy.

If you're going to talk about guns, then talk about guns. Don't talk about swimming pools. Don't parade around Sean Taylor's murder.

OK. That's exactly what the blogger did. Taylor brought a machete to a gunfight in Florida. As the blogger says in closing, "His encounter with a burglar entering his home early yesterday morning was a decidedly one-sided affair."

You are the one acting as if Taylor's murder was an excuse for a parade of arguments.

The nerve you are striking here, applesanity, has nothing at all to do with RKBA. Again, that's another of your straw dogs. It has to do with with your deliberately misstating the blogger's points (and those of other posters here) and picking away at the misstatements. I do have to hand it to you, applesanity, you have managed a whole bunch of posts in this thread without actually dealing with the issues presented by the blog from the OP, a reasonable blog about misplaced political attention. Trying to have a discussion with you is like trying to nail jello to the wall. You create convoluted interpretations of what was written then knock 'em down, ducking where no one is swinging. I suspect you are more interested in getting attention focused on you than on constructive discussion.

Applesanity, you're still missing the point, and you're still assuming you're smarter than everyone. We can do this all day, page after page, but I've made my points. You've made counter points. I can make counter counter points. And on and on. Entertaining for a hour, but not for 24.

Applesanity I have been reading this whold thing and what the blogger was saying does make since. and you prove everyone elses point the more you talk this was a good post till you desided to make it all about you. and they are right youve missed the point compleatly and there is no getting you to see it either becuase your upset that the blogger said any thing about taylors death. and you irk me trying to pull all the attion you can but i dont think its worth our time if you ask me i was wasteing my time writeing this but i wanted you to know my thoughts though no ones but yours matter to you

you're still assuming you're smarter than everyone.

Ad hominem...and unecessary

Applesanity I have been reading this whold thing and what the blogger was saying does make since. and you prove everyone elses point the more you talk this was a good post till you desided to make it all about you. and they are right youve missed the point compleatly and there is no getting you to see it either becuase your upset that the blogger said any thing about taylors death. and you irk me trying to pull all the attion you can but i dont think its worth our time if you ask me i was wasteing my time writeing this but i wanted you to know my thoughts though no ones but yours matter to you

Attack the argument, not the arguer.

WilditwasgoingwellforawhileAlaska TM

As you're reading the article....

Yesterday morning Redskins football player Sean Taylor was shot by a burglar trying to break into his Miami home in the early morning hours.

Wow, that's really tragic. (If you're a football fan, you'd probably know that Sean Taylor was a Probowl-caliber free safety in football, while still relatively young.)

All day yesterday, Taylor was in critical condition and the situation was the talk of the town here in Washington, D.C.

Yeah, it really was all over the news. People were holding candlelight vigils at the Redskins' stadium. His shady past was brought up again too. There were comparisons to Ray Lewis and various other athletes who have had trouble with the law. Maybe Sean Taylor's past caught up with him?

where guns are already an ongoing topic of conversation thanks to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to review the 31-year old D.C. handgun ban.

Wait, wait, wait. Guns? Hello, segue? What, because Sean Taylor got hurt by guns? I hear DC has some pretty strict gun control laws, probably in response to all that crime they got. At any rate, didn't this incident happen in Miami?

We are going to hear a lot about guns in the next few months and most of it will be "sound and fury signifying nothing."

What, so now the article is about guns? What's all of this got to do with Sean Taylor? Why even bring up the subject of Sean Taylor?

The simple truth is that guns are here to stay, like it or not.

Oh, I get it. Gun control would not have prevented the tragedy with Sean Taylor.

People are shot everyday in this country, as Sean Taylor and his family can confirm. [...] There is, argueably, a place for a gun, even in top-end homes in Miami. Homes like that of Sean Taylor.

Okay, that's not clever. That's just exploitive. For God's sake, give the family and the rest of DC some time to grieve before pushing a political agenda. It's only been 1 day.

Early this morning, while I was writing this blog post, Sean Taylor died. His encounter with a burglar entering his home early yesterday morning was a decidedly one-sided affair.

So, if Sean Taylor brought a gun to a gunfight, he would have stood a chance? Well, at least it would have evened the odds, I guess. At any rate (and like the blogger said) most of DC is still taking in this tragedy, reflecting on his life and is impact to football, and so on. Gun control is not even on our minds; why is it on the blogger's mind? That opportunist.

As it turns out, there have been no news media (not blog) article - not 1 - putting Sean Taylor's death and gun control together. The media does sometime go quite low to push an agenda, but has yet to go as low as this blogger.

Let the theorists talk now. It will not matter to Sean Taylor. He is dead.

Um, isn't that what the blogger is doing?

And by the way,

5Wire said:
Taylor brought a machete to a gunfight in Florida.

Nobody knew that, especially not the blogger at the time of the blog writting. The police had not yet released that information. Everyone's guess was that he was surpised while in bed, because that's where he was when he was shot.

you're still missing the point,

What is the point? Really, tell me. That the article is correct to say that we have the right self defense and owning guns? Sure. We're all gunowners here. Amen! The choir loves a good preaching. Who cares about the exploitation of Sean Taylor and the weak and faulty arguments; it's pro-gun and that's all we care about.

I get it. Swimming pools are dangerous. If you had little kids, you wouldn't want them to go unsupervised near a pool. If your neighbor wants to have a pool, he'd better have some sort of child-proof fence around his pool, because everyone knows how little kids are gonna be tempted. If not your little kids, then some other children from the neighborhood, or maybe even the neighbor's own kids. We wouldn't want the needless drowning of some 4-year old, now would we? Fortunately, local ordinances say your neighbor has to prove to the county that his pool is going to meet all appropriate building, health, and safety regulations.

Maybe your neighbor should have a county-approved child-proof fence around his gun collection.

you're still assuming you're smarter than everyone.

Hey, it's not my fault the blogger's thought experiment doesn't work. Not in reality, not on paper. Keep the personal attacks coming. Apparently, I love the attention.

Jezz, you guys got some time on your hands.

Ok, i read most of these posts, and have something to say on both sides.

I, like Apple, get tired of seeing poorly constructed arguments repeted over and over, even tho I agree with the basic underlying point that citizens have a right to defend themselves, and need guns to do it.

On the other hand, all the Straw Man, herrings, and latin is really tiresome. I have a degree in philosophy and taught logic for awhile at the local community college. I have seen these logical systems get used in the most ridiculous ways. In other words, sometimes using perfect logic can still lead to very silly conclusions.

The vast majority of folks reason and think in a much looser intuitive way. Therefore, it behooves one to also be able to communicate in this manner. For example, it does come as a big surprise to many that pools kill more than guns....its not about logic, its about getting a feeling, or sense, for the magnitude of a given situation.

If you want perfect logic, go to philosophy class and argue your heart out. I did this for many years, and finally realized that I was no closer to finding truths about the real world. If you want to touch and relate to others you have to loosen your standards some, and understand that most people just don't connect with purely logical statements.

The vast majority of folks reason and think in a much looser intuitive way. Therefore, it behooves one to also be able to communicate in this manner. For example, it does come as a big surprise to many that pools kill more than guns....its not about logic, its about getting a feeling, or sense, for the magnitude of a given situation.

I don't talk like this when I'm defending RKBA to someone who's against gun ownership, or guns in general. After lots of talk, one almost always gets down to:

Anti: But guns are evil!

You can't argue that. It's an emotional response; no amount of logic or common sense can take away such a gut reaction. What was it that Cooper said? Hoplophobia? I've turned more anti's by letting them putting their hands on a gun, or teaching them how to shoot (there's always a big grin), than to use any kind of argument, logical or emotional.

Good point.

I don't try to convince anyone anymore. Its like trying to change someone's religion...it might happen, but probably not and its gonna be painful.

Back