Ever Seen An Arisaka Like This?

Many folks judge the Arisaka by the late Type 99's, but the Type 38's and even the early Type 99's were very well made. I have a Type 38 short rifle (not a carbine) that may have belonged to some elite unit. It is in near new condition and as well made and finished as anything that came out of Oberndorf. It is also very smooth, and has an excellent trigger pull.

Jim

Is there any difference in factory ammo availability between the 6.5x50 vs the 7.7x58? That may determine what I look at first.

Both are available. Google "7.7 Jap ammo" and "6.5 Jap ammo".

There are NO large quantities of original military ammo available; both calibers are in the collector category.

Jim

Is there any difference in factory ammo availability between the 6.5x50 vs the 7.7x58? That may determine what I look at first.
7.7 is a little easier to get ahold of but Cabelas has 6.5 so it's not too bad. grafs has store brand stuff in both calibers loaded by hornady and uses PPU brass but so far every time I've looked it up they are out. PPU used to have loaded in both calibers but now they just make brass for hornady and a couple dinky brands.

Some years back a neighbor of a good buddy of mine ended up with the same type of rifle. Although I had an Arisaka I had no idea what it was so my buddy and I researched it. What the OP has is an Arisaka paratrooper. The key to function and value for this rifle is that the front half and back half are original to each other. The two halves are hand fitted to one another and mismatches are a huge issue as to function and value. A matching rifle is a very valuable rifle. A mismatched rifle will have serious issues as to proper function and will basically be a wallhanger. My buddy's neighbor's paratrooper was a mismatch. I don't recall how we determined that, whether it was by serial number or some other mark.

Back