Ever hear of a "1000 inch" shoot?

Rome

A buddy of mine was telling me about a shooting match called the "1000 inch" match. Basically, you shoot at a target 1000 inches away with low power ammo.

I've never heard of such a thing and wondered if any of you had?

Rome

The thousand inch shoot was developed by Marine scout/snipers to simulate the 1000 yard shoot under limited distances. You shoot at a reduced size target at the shorter distance which except for adjusting for the trajectory drop and wind conditions, produces a pretty decent imitation of the longer range.

Somebody whose name I can't recall wrote about this (using airguns and shooting at empty handgun shell casings) in Guns and Ammo in the eighties. I bought some back issues awhile back. It sounds like a lot of fun!

The article was called "Minisniping" and was written by Peter H. Capstick.

I've seen it posted on the web. I'll try to find it and post the link.

Thanks for the heads up.

I knew I could count on the TFL for the info. It sounds like it's not practiced anymore but would be fun to try.

Rome

Thanks! John

I've already downloaded your link and will do some reading this evening. Sounds like this could be a "fun" shoot at the range in the spring!

Rome:D

Someone once told me he was required to maintain a pretty high level of marksmanship while he was in the army and he was stationed where they only had room for the 1000 inch range.
As I recall he said the targets were scaled down to apear to be at 1000 yards and the difficulty in hitting them was pretty close to actually shooting at that range.
The weird part is he was using a BAR! :eek:

The Army developed 1000 inch ranges and qualification courses for reserve component soldiers and soldiers stationed at small posts (Nike missile sites etc.) who didn't have room for regular range facilities. They were not always fired with .22 caliber rimfire. In fact alternate course C in FM 23-9 for the M16 is a 1000 inch course that uses a scaled silhoutte target and 5.56mm ammuntion.

Many 1000 inch ranges fired through a tunnel or similar enclosure to keep the noise down.

Jeff

Resurrection of an old post, but it caught my eye. We shot the 1000 inch range back in the early 70s at Marine Barracks Rota Spain. We didn't have a rifle range, so the guard officer took us to the beach and set up the targets at 1000 inches. We were armed with M-14s and were able to set the dope on our sights for 200 meters point of aim. Can't remember the formula we used (ie number of inches above the bulls-eye) but the math proved it worked.

I use to teach Machine Gun schools using the 1000 inch range.

They have a series of little targets you shoot using the T & E mechanism.

Also used 1000 inch ranges for zeroing the M16 using the Canadian Bull.

Yes, 1000 inch shoots are often conducted by military & LE organizations where they do not have access to a longer range. As mentioned above, with the exception of trajectory and wind drift, it offers a very good baseline for accuracy. Smaller targets are used and are placed at 25 meters (roughly 1000 inches). It tests the shooter's ability to put holes in small targets. It offers a glimpse of their marksmanship abilities, but it doesn't give you a 100% accurate gauge of them.

I'm not a fan...

1000 inch range

The 1000 inch range was used in the early thru mid 70's by the Marine Corps.
I was an instructor at Camp Lejeune and was assigned to Div. MTU ( Division Marksmanship Unit) We used it with the M-14 and M-16A1 to get a shooter on target when we got them to the 200 yd. line.

Zeroed my M14 at 1000 inches during Basic Training at Ft Dix in 1968. The zero was good to somewhere in the range of 365 meters.

In basic training (1975) I was required to "battle sight zero" my M16A1 at 25 meters. This was to put us on target at 250m. You aimed at a small funky "silhouette" and the bullet struck a couple inches below the aiming point, where there was an "x" on the target.

It worked.

Back